Wisdom tooth removal - how bad is it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-27-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tomorrow I'm going to go in to have one wisdom tooth removed. It is totally rotten (root dead). Yuck. I'm wondering for those who have BTDT how bad is the procedure and recovery going to be? FWIW it's fully erupted.

I'm a nervous dental patient and (after having gotten the ok from someone at the dental surgeon's office) am going to take 2mg of Ativan to help me relax (same as what I took for an MRI last month). Then they will freeze my mouth.

A friend of mine mentioned remembering the dentist with his knee on her chest trying to wrestle the tooth out of her mouth! I have to say this image is not helping me stay relaxed!!!

So what can I expect the procedure to be like? And what kind of recovery time am I likely to be looking at?

(I know these are questions to ask the dental surgeon, but because it is straight-forward I managed to avoid having to have a consult appointment before the tooth-removal appointment, so I haven't actually met the dentist yet).

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#2 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 PM

I was hunting through looking for information on wisdom tooth removal, I have an appointment in two months to get one of mine removed and I'm already a nervous wreck about it. How did yours go?

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#3 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 06:44 PM

My dh's were all erupted and he had no issues. It all went quick and little pain.
#4 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
I was hunting through looking for information on wisdom tooth removal, I have an appointment in two months to get one of mine removed and I'm already a nervous wreck about it. How did yours go?
You'll be happy to hear that it was a breeze! The Ativan really did the trick to soothe my nerves, and the procedure itself was quick and (relatively) painless. FWIW the tooth was already erupted so it was an uncomplicated procedure. Afterwards the recovery was not too bad either. I never needed to take any of the codeine that the dental surgeon prescribed. At worst it meant that for a few days I ate quite soft food (soup, yogourt, smoothies, scrambled eggs, etc) and for 4-5 days I didn't sleep on that side of my face, and for about a week I only chewed on the other side of my mouth.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#5 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 07:02 PM

i was knocked out for the procedure for about 20min - it was nothing. i felt much better later that afternoon and the next day. but on the third day i developed dry socket and i wont lie, it was the most painful thing i have ever experienced. i regularly thought about shooting myself in the head. it was terrible. and i did everything right and still got dry socket (there is some research about where you are in your moon cycle and the likely hood of developing dry socket, i was on my period when i had surgery and i think that is why i got dry socket). the worst part was the surgeon wouldn't admit i had dry socket until a week later i called him bawling my eyes out saying i couldn't live like this any more. i had called him right away and had just taken 3 vicodin and he said "pain is a part of the process" and prescribed me stronger meds. i was taking percacet and 4 advil every 2 hours and it was barely taking the edge off. finally he had me come in and he insterted clove packs into the socket and it was like turning off a switch, 3 min i was fine. so bizare! so we change those out every other day for 2 1/2 weeks and then i was finally fine with out them.

so 1. don't get dry socket (google it and read about when the best time in your cycle to schedule the surgery is)
2. have someone to take care of your kids for the first 2 days
3. dont get dry socket!
4. get the syringe to clean out the socket right away, he didnt give it to me until 1 week in and getting food stuck in there hurts
5. even if you feel better, dont chew at all until the 3rd day, this is my personal opinion but i think the drugs worked to good at first and i over did it.

to be fair i had all 4 taken at once so my experience was intense. also, i am 23 and they say the younger the better! good luck!

#6 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Kristine, your experience sounds awful.

FWIW I do think (and thought often while I was healing) that it is MUCH easier to only have 1 out as opposed to all 4 at once. Having one side of my mouth that I could chew on, and one side of my face that I could sleep on made a huge difference. Not to mention that the pain level must be much lower when you only have 1 pulled (as I mentioned before I was fine without the codeine - I actually didn't even take Advil all the time after the first day).

#7 of 9 Old 05-15-2010, 12:22 PM

Thank you so much for sharing, I'm only getting the one out (it came in crooked and is causing me a lot of discomfort). I've already scheduled that day off of work, and my DH will be home with me as well.

It's still too early for me to tell where I will be at in my cycle, it looks like it's recommended to be in the end of your cycle when getting them removed.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#8 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 AM

I had all four taken out at once when I was about 19. I wasn't under anesthetic for the experience and it went fine. But I can totally understand the need for Ativan or the like to create calm. Glad it worked for you, pianojazzgirl
The only problem for me was when I took the recommended pain killer (was it Naproxin? I don't think that was it but can't quite remember right now.) Anyways, I threw up after taking the pain killer and that was the worst part of the whole experience.
After that I just took a very low dose of Tylenol 3 and iced my jaw.
The ice really helped. I would totally recommend the ice!
#9 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had all four out at about age 35 and it was fine. I just had novocaine or whatever as a locale anaesthetic. I don't think I even used the prescribed pain killer, just tylenol. It was uncomfortable afterward but nothing major.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page