Prudent dental vist, nursing newborn? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-28-2010, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need a cavity refilled, lost it during pregnancy. Mainstream dentist, what would you avoid at the appt? I'll likley have x-rays, a 'novicane' type thing etc. I do normally avoid the floride treatment. What considerations should I have regarding my NB and nursing her?

No appt yet but I must have it done soon...it hurts!
thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 05-14-2010, 02:54 PM

Hi -

I don't know why no one is answering these questions...

Here's my 2 cents.

I think the x-ray would be fine.

I would completely avoid all flouride treatments now and in the future - I don't think they will do you any good and flouride is bad for your thyroid.

I would use the novocaine and then avoid nursing until the novocaine has completely worn off by you. IMO, this means your body has processed the novocaine.

Do you have a biologic dentist? If so, you can ask for a numbing agent that is nursing-friendly. There are several kinds of anesthetics.

Also, avoid any silver fillings as a replacement!

In preparation prior to the appt, if you have the ability to, pump and store a few bottles for your NB and then pump & dump after your appt.

If the filling is silver that is being taken out, there are more safety concerns and a longer window to avoid nursing.

This is probably too late, but I didn't want your question to go unanswered.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#3 of 3 Old 05-14-2010, 02:59 PM

Get the white filling. I wouldnt worry a bit about the novicane and nursing since it only works in the area it is used in and your body gets rid of it super fast.

I would even be ok with having nitrus oxide during since it leaves the body immediatly after being turned off.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page