Root canal redone vs. Tooth extraction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I would appreciate everyone's input on this, as I am going crazy worrying about what to do

I had a root canal done a few years ago. It has been infected for several months. The dentist I saw said he believes the canals did not get drained/filled/whatever properly, and this is causing the problem. He recommends I get the root canal redone.

I had done some research, and I was going to have it pulled instead. I have heard that even if you have a root canal the tooth can still be infected, and affect your health. This is my main concern. (My decision is probably also affected by the fact that my brother died in part from infections - not tooth related however). But now my dentist, says he doesn't want me to have it taken out, I am too young, and it will cause too many problems (presumably with allignment, chewing on one side, etc).

Do I go with my gut, or listen to this guy. I am seriously upset about this whole thing. I worry easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 02:37 PM

First of all . IMO, this is a really hard situation to be in... and frustrating, too, especially if your tooth has been infected for so long. Are you in pain? Are you on the antibiotic cycle? Which tooth is it? If it is a top tooth, have you had any sinus-related issues since the original rc?

Anyway, I will offer you my (summarized) experience, fwiw, because it's not exactly the same.

I tried every heroic effort to save my tooth - it was exhausting, literally! Natural things as well as rc. I always had pain. I was aware of the rc risks, but still did it anyway. It was a top tooth (#2) and after the rc, I had major sinus problems plus the tooth was still 'not right' (still some pain). The tooth cracked (a few months later), plus another infection, and I ended up having to get it pulled anyway. No replacement since it is the last molar in the back.

I guess if I were you, it would really depend on which tooth it is and how much pain you have. Also, assuming it will work this time, how comfortable you are knowing about the risks/side effects of root canals.

gl
hth
much healing to you

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 PM

In my family, we've faced this exact same dilemma. It's always a hard choice to make, but since I've learned more, I think it's better for one's health to pull the tooth.

Have you read Root Canal Cover Up?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:23 PM

First I will tell you where I am coming from. I have had 7 teeth pulled, 3 root canals and so many fillings that my remaining teeth are probably more filling than tooth at this point. I have had enough work done and enough discussions with my dentist that when I called him at 10:30 pm on a Saturday crying asking for antibiotics and pain meds for an infected tooth, he called me in 2 antibiotics and some strong vicoden immediately no questions asked. So, I have had lots of experience and info on the subject, though I am for sure not a dentist.

I suggest finding a new dentist. For the most part, having a root canal is more expensive than having a tooth pulled. And it's no guarentee that it solves the problem, though with a good dentist, it should most of the time. You have already had this tooth canaled once and it didn't help. I doubt having it redone will really help either. I find myself wondering if he is pushing you just for the extra cash layout on the root canal and doesn't really have your best interests at heart. My dentist will always be 100% honest with me and tell me when he thinks a root canal won't really be the best for me in ALL fronts, not just "saving the tooth" Pulling a tooth isn't going to cause problems unless it's like your very front tooth or something. Even then, the problems are more cosmetic than anything. Of the 7 teeth I have had pulled, 4 are on the same side. Yeah, it results in me chewing more on the other side, but theres no real problem at all. Of my 3 root canals, one was a very front tooth right under my nose, it was the one I called my dentist about at 10:30 on a Saturday. And, one of my 7 pulled teeth was also the first root canal I had done.

So, IMHO, find a new dentist, pull the tooth.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macha10 View Post
I am too young, and it will cause too many problems (presumably with allignment, chewing on one side, etc).
why not get it pulled and have a spacer put in? i believe that should be an option.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. --Jiddu Krishnamurti
Old 05-13-2010, 05:48 PM

I am in the same boat, well, sort of. I haven't had a root canal done, but I did have a crown put on last year ($1000, no insurance) and now, a few months later, that same tooth needs a root canal!

My gut instinct is to pull it, but my dentist is really pressuring me to do a root canal. I've read Ramiel Nagel's book, and when I tried to discuss it with my dentist he wasn't interested in talking to me.

I have just been putting it off since December, because I don't know what to do. I don't think it's infected yet, though, because it only hurts if I bite down on it.

Good luck with your decision!

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:14 PM

Interesting topic...no real info here, except that I have just today been contemplating having my root-canaled tooth pulled. I have been dealing with various health issues that are pretty undefined...I am feeling increasingly unwell, and I have been cautioned before by some health care providers that root canaled teeth can cause problems. I know people who had undefined problems with their health who finally got relief once the root canaled tooth was gone. Yes, a hard decision...best wishes with your research!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to see another dentist and he has suggested pulling it. This makes me feel better, as this is what my gut was telling me to do.

New problem - I am now newly (5 weeks) pregnant. I can not/ will not have it pulled during the first trimester. Is it safe to have a tooth pulled at any time during pregnancy. I obviously don't want this infection in my body forever. I am terrified of the extraction, so could I be "put under" safely during pregnancy?

Also, would it be wise to have antibiotics now?

Thanks for any more advice!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't have much advice (in a similar situation), but getting the work done after 12 weeks is best. Further into 2nd tri is better, perhaps, but the biggest thing is to be in hte 2nd trimester at all.

I'm almost 15 weeks and will be getting something done (likely extraction) hopefully tomorrow - if I can get in somewhere. I just can't wait any longer. Definitely do abx, though talk to your MW or OB about whether or not to do them now. My MW said absolutely to have abx before the procedure is done and of course after.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macha10 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to see another dentist and he has suggested pulling it. This makes me feel better, as this is what my gut was telling me to do.

New problem - I am now newly (5 weeks) pregnant. I can not/ will not have it pulled during the first trimester. Is it safe to have a tooth pulled at any time during pregnancy. I obviously don't want this infection in my body forever. I am terrified of the extraction, so could I be "put under" safely during pregnancy?

Also, would it be wise to have antibiotics now?

Thanks for any more advice!
I just wanted to add a couple thoughts to this thread. I had a tooth extracted and had a dental implant that has been a very good choice for me (although it was a slow and expensive process). The implanted tooth looks and feels very much like a natural tooth and should last me the rest of my life.

At the time I had my tooth exctracted I was in too much pain to be too worried about the pain of getting it pulled. I previously had my wisdom teeth extracted with a general and was wondered how the local would work. I just had Novocaine and it was fine (although I'm not sure about how that works with prenancy). The tooth came out quickly and I drove myself home. Anyway don't overthink that part too much. If it really need to be out get it out.

User Tag List