Questions about 2 yr old fillings and anesthetic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 04-29-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD, who'll be 2 in July, may have to have some cavities filled, including a crown. I found a dentist who I actually like, and his general procedure for anesthetic is (1) I give DD a liquid at home, (2) I give her another liquid medicine at the office and comfort her for 45 minutes until she falls asleep (3) I take her to the dentist where she's put in a papoose and given nitrous oxide if needed.

Needless to say, I'm freaking out at the possibility. For those of you who have gone through this I have a few questions if I decide to do the fillings:

(1) How can I get DD not to nurse approx. 4 hrs before the surgery (she normally nurses early in the morning as she's waking up).
(2) How difficult was it trying to get a 2 yr old to take all of the oral medication.
(3) Once she's sleepy and is used to nursing to sleep, how do I get her to fall asleep w/out nursing. How fast will the anesthetic work?
(4) Have any of your kids had the reaction the office warned me about where some kids become hostile instead of sleepy?

A lot of this issues are probably specific to my individual kid, but any input or wisdom from other moms is greatly appreciated!

Mom to my sweet girls Lily (3/14/05) and Miriam (7/10/08) , wife to Scott.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page