Toothache & Mercury Filling & Newborn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-02-2010, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas! I am in a Pickle!

So I have 8 smallish Mercury fillings left. I cracked a tooth with one of them. Now food always gets stuck there & it hurts even with diligent cleaning. I have a 5 week old nursing infant. I see an IAOMT dentist who is amazing.

His suggestion is to pump, get the tooth fixed and then pump & dump for three days. If I am going to do all that, I am considering taking care of the mercury on that whole side of my mouth. I wanted to
wait until 6 months or so, but the tooth is keeping me up at night so I don't think I can wait at least to deal with that one.

I have so many questions!

How much should I pump? (Often & amount)
What bottle will cause the least nipple confusion?
Will my baby even take it?
Will taking out 4 mercury fillings but not all 8 cause an immune response to the Mercury?
Will taking out all of them cause some type of Mercury dump?

I need any and all help! There isn't much way around dealing with this that I can see. I am going to wait at least until 6 weeks, but am considering getting the (hospital grade) pump now. Also I am thinking of using a wet nurse if I can find one!
#2 of 4 Old 05-14-2010, 02:41 PM

Hi -
I would only do the filling that is causing problems. I would leave all the rest. Each filling will add to your body's mercury burden. Three days would be minimum and your babe is so small.

Pumping depends on how often your babe is currently nursing. I would pump after each nursing session and then pick two times / day where you pump. This should increase your overall supply.

For me, I nursed every three hours. She probably drank 1-2 ounces/ nursing session at that time. Using this formula, I would plan on 2 ounces * 7 feedings/24 hours or 14 ounces per day. Then I'd probably add extra.

We used Dr Brown's glass bottles with the nipples that came with that bottle.

Renting the hospital pump is an excellent idea. It cost me $55/month and I was assured that it was a working high quality pump.

Finding a wet nurse - or fellow nursing mom willing to donate is also a good idea, just as long as she has enough for both. I did use www.milkshare.com for donor milk when I needed it although there are more ppl looking for milk vs those donating.

I still would suggest removing just 1 filling.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#3 of 4 Old 05-14-2010, 04:57 PM

In further reading I found this article;
http://www.iabdm.org/cms/index.php?id=64&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2&tx_ttnews[year]=2008&tx_ttnews[month]=07&tx_ttnews[day]=31&cHash=b2ab11728a

Key sentences:
it is rarely-to-never deemed appropriate to start a mercury/silver filling removal program for this population. The damage to the fetus or newborn could be irreversible, especially when appropriate protection and detoxification protocols are not in place.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#4 of 4 Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 PM

Subbing as I am nursing a babe and needing a merc filing out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page