Anyone Do Hypnosis for Wisdom Teeth Removal - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-03-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I swear, if I wasn't nursing, I'd have them put me to sleep. I'm a big baby about dental stuff. Has anyone done hypnosis to help them through wisdom teeth removal? If so, did you use a hypnotherapist or a program? What would you recommend?
#2 of 3 Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 AM

I haven't done hypnosis, but I wanted to respond because I'm also a VERY nervous dental patient, and I just had a wisdom tooth removed.

First of all I wanted to let you know that it really really wasn't as bad as I'd feared. Second of all I wanted to let you know what I did do, which was to take Ativan about half an hour before the procedure to relax me. (My dr had prescribed it a couple of months ago for me to take before an MRI because I'm claustrophobic and I had some left over). As far as I know Ativan is ok to take while breastfeeding (my friend sometimes takes it for insomnia and is nursing her 1.5 yr old). Not sure if it sounds like the right answer for you, but I thought I'd throw it out there since it really helped me. You could talk to your dr about getting a prescription.

The other thing I wanted to mention. Not sure how many you need to have out, but I had one and I can't imagine having all 4 done at once. Just that I think during the first few days of recovery it really makes a difference to have one side of your mouth that you can chew with and one side of your face that you can sleep on. If I needed to have all 4 out I would do them 2 at a time (one side at a time). Just my 2 cents!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#3 of 3 Old 05-14-2010, 02:45 PM

I used Hypnobabies for birthing and through this group I have met a hypnotherapist who has used hypnosis through a surgical procedure.

If you haven't been trained, which sounds like you haven't, I would see an individual who specializes in hypnotherapy for dentistry and then I would have that hypnotherapist accompany you to your appt. I would not do it alone.

I had all 4 removed many years ago and they only used novacaine. I was on percocet for pain afterwards.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page