Homemade toothpaste = SUCCESS! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So awhile back I posted about making my own toothpaste & the recipe I decided on was 50% xylitol, 50% baking soda, add water to desired consistency (and we also mix in a little cinnamon or peppermint oil for flavor). We've been using it for a couple months now & DH and I just came back from the dentist with GREAT results. My gums didn't bleed at all & DH's only did slightly, no cavities (DH is very prone to cavities), and it took way less time to remove tartar buildup... so all in all, a great success! Just figured I'd share in case anyone else was interested in making their own paste.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 4 Old 05-13-2010, 04:39 PM

Awesome!
I am planning to try making my own toothpaste after our tube runs out. Thanks for the inspiration!

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#3 of 4 Old 05-15-2010, 10:54 AM

So do you keep the powder in the bathroom and add water each time you brush? Or is it all pre-mixed in a jar, or ?? I am so going to do this.

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#4 of 4 Old 05-15-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

I pre-mix it with the water & put it in a squeeze bottle. It separates a bit if you add too much water, and the watery part rises to the top -- so we have a squeeze bottle you can store standing upside down so the thick part comes out first (haha not sure I'm explaining this right!!) For a while we just used it as powder & dipped our wet brushes in, but I didn't like the idea of germs from everyone's toothbrushes. But aside from that the powder works just as well.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page