Saving abscessed baby molar? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-14-2010, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd, soon to be 9, had a filling about 10 months ago. To shorten the story, while flossing Dd I noted an abnormal looking area of gum, the dentist confirmed that Dd has an abscess in the tooth, under the filling.

She is recommending extraction with placement of a spacer. She says it's not an emergency but we should do it soon. I've gotten one second opinion which agreed with the first dentist, BUT he said he's 'traditional' and I might find other opinions.

Anyone think there's a chance of saving this tooth, especially if I'm able to closely monitor and clean daily? The spacer looks like a headache of it's own and not even sure to do what it's supposed to. Thanks.
#2 of 2 Old 05-15-2010, 03:34 AM
Bea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a baby molar pulled around this age and the adult tooth came in perfectly, although I am one of those people with lots of space in their mouths so I don't know if a spacer is necessary.

Interestingly (or not) I'm now missing the same tooth as an adult after fighting the good fight (25 years later) with root canals etc till I woke up with a painless golfball sized lump on my jaw, admitted defeat and had the tooth (painlessly...no nerve) yanked.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page