Bad cavity in wisdom tooth . . . have it pulled or let it fall out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have a pretty bad cavity in my upper right wisdom tooth. The dentist has been urging me to pull it but I know that if I pull that one I'll have to pull the lower right one eventually and honestly, the longer I don't have to deal with it, the better. The thing is the upper right wisdom tooth is crumbling. Pieces of it are breaking off little by little. I *think* it may fall out on it's own. Any danger in just leaving it to do so?

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#2 of 6 Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 PM

Just the head exploding pain if it gets infected.

Both my dh and I had one pulled. They were breaking apart and got infected. Dh's was so bad that he was curled up in fetal position at the dentist's waiting for them to pull it.

I put mine off for almost 3 years because the pain was never really bad and it would go away for months at a time. Then a month or so ago I woke up and it felt like my face had exploded. I was nauseous and shaking from the pain. I called the emergency line and they pulled it that afternoon.

Seriously don't wait until it gets that bad. Ours were straight pulls, took seconds to come out and cost around $100.

Oh and it won't fall out on it's own. Wisdom teeth have really long roots. It'll just keep crumbling until it gets infected. I think there was only 1/2 of mine left when I had it pulled.

We both have dental phobias and the pain made us get over that really fast. The extraction was embarrassingly easy.
#3 of 6 Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 PM

I would absolutely get it pulled. I can't imagine that it could possibly just fall out without a LOT of pain involved at some point. Not to mention that tooth infections have the possibility of affecting other areas of your body. The longer it stays in your body the more likely that it will cause problems.

I had one wisdom tooth extracted recently and it really wasn't that bad at all. My dentist has also recommended having the corresponding top wisdom tooth pulled at a later date, but honestly I think it will be a long time before that becomes an issue.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#4 of 6 Old 05-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Get it pulled. I just had oral surgery ~3 weeks ago, and one of the teeth was a molar that had been filled previously, the filling fell out 2 years ago and it was fine. TWO years later it got infected and OMG horrible pain. Instantly it was better once it was pulled.

CPST & mom

#5 of 6 Old 05-23-2010, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm going to set up an appointment to get it pulled. (((sigh))) I may as well have the bottom one done at the same time. That one is a more involved extraction since it's impacted but I will already be getting the x-rays so why not get it over with?

Thanks again!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#6 of 6 Old 05-24-2010, 12:10 AM

I had my wisdom teeth pulled with just novocaine and nitrous and it wasn't too bad. I had a mega-cavity in one of the wisdom teeth too, because it was so crowded I could barely brush it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page