help--solutions for toddler w/tooth decay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I breastfeed by 16 mo. old and co-sleep. Unfortunately she has brown spots and indentations on her front teeth now. We are vegans (whole-foods and organic) and are committed to baby-led weaning. However, the tooth decay is worrisome! I read the sticky about nutrition and dental health, but being vegan some of the solutions don't apply. I was interested to see postings on cell salts. If you had success with cell salts for tooth decay (or other solutions) can you give specifics and guidance? For instance, which cell salts to use, for how long and in what quantities?

We don't want to floridate our child, so home remedies are preferable to the dentist!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I give calc phos, 2 pellets a couple of times a day, but there was someone else a lot more knowledgeable about cell salts, their posting must have been within the last few weeks if I remember correctly....look for threads with the topics tooth decay etc.

Edit: There is also an entire thread about cell salts
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...188755&page=12
Maybe someone can help you there.

I can only recommend two other things:
Anything with Xylitol (they make little candies/mints/sours that even the little ones can eat), xylitol gel as tooth paste (I use spry), xylitol spray and/or wipes for in between and on the road.....you get the picture.

Also check out Heal-o-zone treatments, if they're available in your area. Some people on this board have had success in halting or even reversing decay when they combined everything (nutrition, xylitol and Heal-o-zone).

That's about all I can help with. My (also still breastfeedig and co-sleeping) 3 year old finally had to have surgery last week, but I'm glad I was at least able to stall it until he'd turned 3.

Good luck
Old 07-14-2010, 06:20 PM

We are also (almost) vegan and have a 16 month old with cavities. We are going to give xylitol + ACT + careful care to our own mouths (so as not to pass on bacteria to him) + better disinfecting of his brush + no more dried fruits a good try. I need to look into the salts. It is so disheartening not to find any dentist who knows what is going on (i.e. that breastfeeding isn't to blame) or who is willing to work with other approaches other than cavities being filled. We may eventually have to go with cavities filled under GA, but I hope we can at least halt or ideally reverse things with other approaches. As a vegan(ish) family, it is especially hard to read everything about the harms of soy and how important it is to eat animal products. I feel so overwhelmed - you are damned if you do one thing and damned if you don't. If you make progress or find good things that work, I would love to hear them. Good luck! E
Old 05-04-2011, 09:41 AM

So, is it my understanding that if we begin taking the Bioplasma, I do not need to buy and take the other individual cell salts- ie Calc Fluor, Calc Phos, etc. My 16mo def has some brown spots on the back of his top teeth, delayed dentition and I have been plagued with tooth issues all of my life. Looking for a solution & just need to know what to order today! Thanks mama's!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:01 AM

Ugh, I can completely relate. We had the same thing with our 18 month old (now 32 months). We ended up with a couple of fluoride "fillings," which were really hard, but it was better than giving up breastfeeding (which is completely what our dentist recommended. yeah, right). I found a great resource online with a Dr. Ellie Philips, and even did a phone consultation with her (free . . . she rocks), and she is a proponent of xylitol, but only in certain forms, because it is the alkalinity of the mouth that's important, according to her, and some xylitol products, even though they contain xylitol, still have an acidic net result in the mouth. (Apologizing, by the way for one big paragraph, but for some reason, I can't make a new paragraph.) She recommends "strive for five" with xylitol either in its powder form (I would give with water in a sippy cup throughout the day or a small amount on a spoon--it's sweet like sugar, so it tastes good)--oops, that's five times a day she says. Her blog is askdrellie.blogspot.com. I'm going to write more later, but my 32 month old is melting down, so I'll write more later . . . good luck . . . give it a look.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Sorry for the long post, but this is our story. I hope it will help others, especially vegan/vegetarian parents who might feel pressure to start using bone broth, etc. That may very well work, but there also seem to be vegan/vegetarian ways that work too.

We noticed some decay in June with our 1.5 year old son at the time. It seemed to get worse and so we made an apt. with a regular dentist who immediately suggested anesthesia to fill a lot of cavities (it turned out there were cavities on every top tooth) and was dramatic that it would get worse fast and threaten his permanent teeth and all sorts of terrible things. We were uncomfortable with this and spoke with two other dentists who we thought were slightly more alternative and they both suggested the same thing and implied that breastfeeding was the cause.

After no luck finding any sort of suitable dentist in New England, we made an appointment with Dr. Keith Hollander 6 hours a way in PA. He assessed there was a cavity on every top tooth, picked out decay with a pick (while gently holding my son down with my help), put on a fluoride varnish, used Ozone treatment, filled the cavities with a fast drying filling thing, and suggested we use squiggle tooth paste to brush after every food. Our son cried and was very unhappy, but it was really only 20 minutes which seemed like a minor thing compared to an entire and more risky process with anesthesia. We use fluoride squiggle once a day (our two year old cannot yet spit), and then the non-fluoride squiggle for other brushes. Obviously we were slightly concerned with the fluoride, but thought it was a trade off and opted to use it. We did use the spiffies with xylitol a lot prior to seeing Dr. Hollander, but after some research we found that those did not seem good or good enough.

For three months we brushed at least two if not five times a day (as much as possible, but sometimes it didn't always happen), put granulated xylitol in our son's water and cut out dried fruit (which we assess as the main culprit). We eat no sweets except very special occasions. We eat a lot of kale, and used Kerry Gold butter suggested by those who advocate dietary changes, but we are strict vegetarians with very reduced dairy and eggs, so we don't follow many of the diet suggestions from Cure Tooth Decay.
We also tried cell salts some and also something having to do with clay, but they sort of fell to the wayside as it was a lot to manage and we weren't convinced that these were helping, although they might very well work for some.

We went back to Dr. Hollander after three or four months, and there was one new cavity (or it was possible that the filling fell out), but overall everything was stable and fine. He put on another fluoride varnish, used ozone on and filled the one cavity. We continue with this approach and it seems to be working well. We are now ten months out from our original discovery of the decay and all seems to be going well.
I realize lots of people do this and it doesn't help, but when I first discovered all of this I was so desperate for stories of people who handled it all without anesthesia, so I thought it would be helpful to share that we did this and it worked.

Interesting, there are very few doctors willing to work with children who are not sedated, but, although not fun, it works well with Dr. Hollander and seems like a small price to pay for avoiding anesthesia which can be dangerous and seems like a lot to do if not essential. We are very committed to attachment parenting and our son did not seem traumatized and somehow it felt like a better fit for us to be with him for the twenty minutes or so of unhappy crying and confusion than to go for a whole day at a hospital where we could not be with him and the risks were higher. Our assessment of in-office sedation for our son was that we did not feel comfortable with that given the risks.

Oh, one final note is that we breastfeed on demand including night nursing. I spent hourrrrrrs looking into this and it really seems not to be a factor. We continued to breastfeed, including at night, and the decay has hardened and has not gotten worse.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 AM

This may not be terribly helpful for you since you are a vegan, but we encountered a similar situation when my son was 10 months old.  3 of his newly-erupted top teeth developed pitting and decay.  At that point he was almost solely breastfed and NEVER had any sugar.  We also co slept and breastfed during the night on demand.  We visited 4 dentists.  The first three insisted that nighttime nursing was the cause and the cavities would worsen if not filled.  We finally agreed, as we observed the decay worsening, to having them filled without using any anesthesia or sedative.  What a traumatic experience!  Not only that, as warned was a possibility when filling a front tooth, the fillings fell out within weeks.  A complete waste.  Not one dentist I asked knew of any nutritional or health-related explanation of this issue.

At a friend's recommendation I read a very long book called "Nutrition and Physical Regeneration" by Weston A.Price.  In that book I found that the combination of high quality cod liver oil and milk-fat from animals grazing on green grass was proven to be a synergystic combination to not only maintain dental and bone health, but also to reverse tooth decay.  At the time we already drank raw milk from a local farmer, but I had not made a point of making sure to get plenty of it in my diet. I had slacked off of taking my prenatal vitamins, and looking back remembered that I had had a period of over a month during which my milk production could not keep up with my son's growth rate.  He seemed constantly hungry.  I found out that when baby teeth grow in they are very soft, and the enamel hardens as the minerals in the saliva bathe the tooth.  If the minerals are lacking, the enamel does not harden sufficiently.  Also, when a child experiences a growth spurt, if the nutrients to support bone growth are not available in the diet, the body will "rob" the nutrients from the existing bone. The teeth are considered the "canary in the mine" indicating overall bone health.  It is the fat soluble vitamins A and D in healthy, untampered with sources of animal fat, such as the cod liver oil and the butterfat in the milk, which allow the body to assimilate minerals such as calcium.  Synthetic vitamin A and D do not do this as well.  I understand this is very little known information and even unpopular.  But we have seen the effect.

We began giving my son cod liver oil, and I started making sure to drink my raw milk daily.  He was breastfed until about 21 months, and started on raw milk himself. Within about a month of starting the cod liver oil, the decay (yellow) in his teeth disappeared.  The pitting remains but seems less pronounced.  We stopped the cod liver oil inadvertently when we were traveling and forgot to give it regularly, and noticed the decay returning.  But when we started giving the CLO regularly again, the decay went away again.  There is another book that deals with this topic more directly  called "Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition" by Ramiel Nagel.  There may be some other nutritional approaches that would also help but fit a vegan diet covered int his book, but I am not aware of it. 

Along our journey in my research, I also learned that Fluoride really doesn't help a whole lot with tooth decay.  It was once prescribed to treat over active thyroid, and actually accumulates in the thyroid as well as the bones, eventually making them brittle. We now use tooth paste without fluoride and have a filter for our water that removes the fluoride.  And we take CLO regularly. Other than my son when he was an infant (he is now 3), none of my 3 older children has even had a cavity. I also learned that not all fish oil is of equal quality. Most brands are highly processed to the point that the nutrients are destroyed and synthetic vitamins added.  However, Blue Ice uses traditional processing and preservation methods that retain the natural vitamin content.  You can learn more by doing an internet search using "tooth decay, cod liver oil, Weston A.Price" as key words.  Hope this is helpful.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry there are so many of your going through this. My dd had cavities and we stopped and healed them with cell salts and also brushing with pascalite clay too. Although I will say they weren't that bad so if they were worse, i may have decided to get dental treatment.

I am all for veganism if you are very healthy, but if you are sick and dealing with dental issues even, I would try something different. Some people are worse with animal products so find what works for you and be open. We are dairy and gluten allergic so we eat lots of meat, and instead of butter use grass fed tallow. I long to be a vegan but I just don't feel good physically on it.

OP, what are you doing for minerals and fats?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM

Privacy Reminder: This thread is FEATURED ON FACEBOOK.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:00 PM

Hi, I see that you haven't been on in awhile but wondered how your child's teeth are now.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloxlover View Post

This may not be terribly helpful for you since you are a vegan, but we encountered a similar situation when my son was 10 months old.  3 of his newly-erupted top teeth developed pitting and decay.  At that point he was almost solely breastfed and NEVER had any sugar.  We also co slept and breastfed during the night on demand.  We visited 4 dentists.  The first three insisted that nighttime nursing was the cause and the cavities would worsen if not filled.  We finally agreed, as we observed the decay worsening, to having them filled without using any anesthesia or sedative.  What a traumatic experience!  Not only that, as warned was a possibility when filling a front tooth, the fillings fell out within weeks.  A complete waste.  Not one dentist I asked knew of any nutritional or health-related explanation of this issue.

At a friend's recommendation I read a very long book called "Nutrition and Physical Regeneration" by Weston A.Price.  In that book I found that the combination of high quality cod liver oil and milk-fat from animals grazing on green grass was proven to be a synergystic combination to not only maintain dental and bone health, but also to reverse tooth decay.  At the time we already drank raw milk from a local farmer, but I had not made a point of making sure to get plenty of it in my diet. I had slacked off of taking my prenatal vitamins, and looking back remembered that I had had a period of over a month during which my milk production could not keep up with my son's growth rate.  He seemed constantly hungry.  I found out that when baby teeth grow in they are very soft, and the enamel hardens as the minerals in the saliva bathe the tooth.  If the minerals are lacking, the enamel does not harden sufficiently.  Also, when a child experiences a growth spurt, if the nutrients to support bone growth are not available in the diet, the body will "rob" the nutrients from the existing bone. The teeth are considered the "canary in the mine" indicating overall bone health.  It is the fat soluble vitamins A and D in healthy, untampered with sources of animal fat, such as the cod liver oil and the butterfat in the milk, which allow the body to assimilate minerals such as calcium.  Synthetic vitamin A and D do not do this as well.  I understand this is very little known information and even unpopular.  But we have seen the effect.

We began giving my son cod liver oil, and I started making sure to drink my raw milk daily.  He was breastfed until about 21 months, and started on raw milk himself. Within about a month of starting the cod liver oil, the decay (yellow) in his teeth disappeared.  The pitting remains but seems less pronounced.  We stopped the cod liver oil inadvertently when we were traveling and forgot to give it regularly, and noticed the decay returning.  But when we started giving the CLO regularly again, the decay went away again.  There is another book that deals with this topic more directly  called "Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition" by Ramiel Nagel.  There may be some other nutritional approaches that would also help but fit a vegan diet covered int his book, but I am not aware of it. 

Along our journey in my research, I also learned that Fluoride really doesn't help a whole lot with tooth decay.  It was once prescribed to treat over active thyroid, and actually accumulates in the thyroid as well as the bones, eventually making them brittle. We now use tooth paste without fluoride and have a filter for our water that removes the fluoride.  And we take CLO regularly. Other than my son when he was an infant (he is now 3), none of my 3 older children has even had a cavity. I also learned that not all fish oil is of equal quality. Most brands are highly processed to the point that the nutrients are destroyed and synthetic vitamins added.  However, Blue Ice uses traditional processing and preservation methods that retain the natural vitamin content.  You can learn more by doing an internet search using "tooth decay, cod liver oil, Weston A.Price" as key words.  Hope this is helpful.
Was trying to reply to this post. Sorry. Any updates? We have similar thinking and would really like to know how things went for you.

User Tag List