OK, tell me if this is the way to go... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have just ordered a mountain of things to get DS's decay under control, so somebody please tell me if i'm on the right track - anything i'm missing, or anything that's unnecessary, or detrimental.

Here's the list:
FCLO liquid
BO liquid
Infant Tooth gel
Spry mints
Colloidal minerals

I'm still trying to find xylitol toothpaste (i'm in australia and shipping from the US is wayyy too expensive)
I found tissue salts called Calcium Absorption - they have calc phos, calc fluor, silica and nat phos. Are these the right ones? Is it ok to take those as well as the colloidal minerals? (DS is 2yo BTW)

Phew! It's a good start i know, but is there anything vital that's missing or wrong there?
Thanks for the help! Trish
#2 of 10 Old 06-02-2010, 11:33 AM

Diet?
#3 of 10 Old 06-03-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishajane View Post
I'm still trying to find xylitol toothpaste (i'm in australia and shipping from the US is wayyy too expensive)
Can you get xylitol crystals?
For a start, you could make your own xylitol toothpaste.....either really simple by making a paste of xylitol and a little water, or look in other threads here, there were a few recipes posted a while back.

Something else I really like are Spiffies (Xylitol wipes). I don't know whether you can get them in Australia, though.....
#4 of 10 Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm, making my own sounds good (and cheap!). I'll do some experimenting i think! Thanks for the suggestion.

Jane - did you say the D word?? This is the hardest part for me to wrap my head around actually. We've gotten so used to our carb-laden meals that i'm dreading changing it. My kids are quite picky, and would seriously eat honey toast for every meal.
Any tips on how to change things with ease?

We already do lots of bone broth - using it in soups, stews and risotto. But the kids will only eat it in stew. Can i add liver to the stew, or does it need to be raw? We never eat organ meats, and i'm pretty sure nobody is going to try them unless i don't tell them it's in there!

I've finally found a source for raw milk so we're going through about 10L a week between the 4 of us. Also just found someone with kefir grains, so will try making that next week. I'm having a hard time finding pastured butter though...

I guess the trouble is getting the good stuff into the kids. I eat lots of organic eggs, but DD won't touch them. At all. Not even in smoothies. I know i have to stop giving them so much bread, but they just won't eat otherwise.

Any tips about this would be soooo appreciated!
#5 of 10 Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 PM

Well it sounds like you know what to do! yes, even "good" carbs can impair mineral absorption if they are most of the diet.

I would post another thread in Traditional Foods about how to transition kids to a TF diet. My DS eats everything, so I'm no help.

No liver doesn't have to be raw. You could add grated liver at the end to avoid cooking it a lot. I find that the less you cook, the milder it is too.
#6 of 10 Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 PM

New Zealand butters are pastured if you can get those.
#7 of 10 Old 06-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Grains aren't always "bad".but for us personally, the gluten messed with our absorption and guts. My dd developed cavities while regularly eating the real deal whole wheat organic sourdough bread. It was so hard to cut that out, and she still asks for it after months of no bread. We just don't have it in the house anymore.
#8 of 10 Old 06-05-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'm hoping that the clo/bo will actually stimulate their appetites a bit. Today they both had milk, some crackers with avocado, cheerios and some fruit. That's it. For a whole day. Granted, they're not 100% well, but seriously? They both refused to eat tonight unless it was toast, and i said no, so they didn't eat. I don't know whether they'll just get so hungry they'll have to eat, or if they'll literally starve themselves without the toast... but i will try to persevere with offering the other things. It's not like dinner was gross - it was lamb stew, which they both usually like - so maybe they're both just not feeling too good.

Anyway, like i said, hopefully the supplements will help them feel better and get them eating a bit more.
Thanks for the replies! Off to TF i go!
#9 of 10 Old 06-05-2010, 11:07 AM

I have no advice for you but since I'm in Aus too I'm subbing for info
DD hates broth too btw but she will sometimes tolerate it in a sippy cup renamed a Soupy cup. Or greatly reduced as a sauce.
ETA I'm pretty sure Barambah butter is pastured year round (most butter here will be pastured but supplemented in difficult grazing times). Barambah is in most health food/organic shops.

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#10 of 10 Old 06-10-2010, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Greenmama - i'll grab some barambah butter, it's pretty easy to find. I'm also checking out a supplier for Anchor butter, so i'll let u know if i find it. If you're in Perth, i think European Foods is stocking Kerrygold, but i haven't been there yet.

Can someone please tell me the correct dose for the clo/bo? They arrived today, but there's no instructions on the bottles. My kids are 2yo and 4yo, and both weigh about 15kg (33lb). And the dose for adults. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page