Flouride supp for 6mo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our pedi suggested a flouride supplement for 6mo ds. I'm not sure how I feel about it and am currently doing research. However, I'd love the opinion of the mama's here,
TIA
Cate
#2 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 01:18 PM

nak - I absolutely would not.

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,
#3 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 02:29 PM

Why is your ped suggesting it? I would never intentionally give extra fluoride to my child. In fact I want to get a RO filter for our tap to filter out our fluoridated water. Definitely do a bit of research. Fluoride is a fertilizer waste product and an endocrine disruptor. I personally would find another ped.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brittany- Wife to Eric : Mama to Asher : born 7/15/09
#4 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Finding a new pedi would be a bad idea. She's the most highly rec'd pedi on mdc, for my area.
I've just started the research and I've found a lot about the latest research saying never to give an infant flouride drops but Dr Sears says just not before 6 months. I'm still trying to find some evidence of the concentration of flouride in breastmilk.
I think the pedi is concerned because my teeth aren't great but I have an autoimmune disease that affects my saliva which causes a lot of dental issues.
I just looked up the concentration of flouride in our local tap water and it's 1.00 mg/L and they do not state the compound used, more research necessary. I'll be hanging out on flouridealert.org for a while.

Thanks ladies, I appreciate your response.
#5 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd'smom View Post
nak - I absolutely would not.
Same here.
And I did change pedis when our first one didn't stop harping about it
#6 of 6 Old 06-24-2010, 11:52 AM

I wouldn't.

We don't do fluoride here. My understanding is that the benefit of fluoride to the teeth is miniscule--and that is only when applied topically, not ingested. Fluoride displaces iodine, a necessary nutrient, in the body. It also affects the pituatary gland. Ingesting too much can also lead to unsightly white spots on the teeth.

Your pedi may have come highly recommneded, but that doesn't mean that she knows anything about fluoride. In fact, I recall reading here awhile back that the American Pediatric Association (or maybe the American Dental Association) no longer recommended fluoride supplements for kids. You might want to research their official position.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page