Success Stories from Moms Who Chose Not to "Fix" Cavities in Baby Teeth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 07-05-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello-
I, like so many of you moms out there, have a toddler with tooth decay on his top 4 front teeth and am struggling with making a decision about how to deal with it. I have scoured the forums for moms who took a "wait and see" approach, and can't seem to find any success stories. So I'm writing to ask- if you are a mom who was faced with ECC and didn't have them fixed (i.e. in the hospital under GA, or strapped to a board in the dentist's office) will you please post how your child's teeth are doing now? Have they fallen out, and were the permanent ones affected? Is there any one thing you did that you feel really helped to save the teeth? Could you also list how bad the decay was and at what age you discovered it? THANK YOU.
I have never been more stressed out about anything in my life, and I want to do what's best for my child. FYI- he is 22 months, and since 14 months has had decay on his top 4 teeth. 2 of them have chipped significantly, and the other 2 have brown spots on the sides.
I'm doing cell salts, xylitol, butter oil, high vitamin cod liver oil, no sugar, juice etc, but I could be missing something.
I just want/need to hear at least ONE success story to put my mind at ease!
#2 of 31 Old 07-13-2010, 09:34 PM

I was looking for something similar and I found this thread.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1095289

which was a helpful start.

So it seems like it can be, for some people, addressed. My concern is that it seems to involve, at least somewhat, a toddler that wills sit still, let you put things in his or her mouth. Currently, our 16 month old with two cavity looking things on his front teeth, will BARELY let me see his teeth, much less do anything to them without extreme drama. I need to search the threads more on this, but I just hate the idea of holding him down while he screams every day while trying to brush teeth. I don't know if he would get used to it. I feel like I would be subjecting him to trauma. Ditto with ANY dental procedures. He just reacts so strongly to any imposition of my will (or a dentists will) on him.
#3 of 31 Old 07-13-2010, 10:34 PM

I did have my toddler's cavities filled, so I can't address your question. But I'm curious about why your only perceived options seem to be having it done in a hospital under GA or "strapped to a board" in the dental office. I've never heard of either of those scenarios for filling toddler cavities. It certainly didn't go down that way with my son.
#4 of 31 Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

I came across this great interview with Dr. Ellie Phillips and had to share:

http://integrativemom.com/prevention/toddler-teeth-2/

I've signed up for email updates so I can be informed when they post the rest of it!  Amazing info!!!

#5 of 31 Old 01-18-2011, 01:34 AM

Our 4 year old dd has terrible allergies and had tooth decay basically since she got teeth. We gave bone broth and limited sugar (as in she didn't hardly get any). We were already off gluten, but didn't eat a whole lot of other grains. We did give some supplements, but it wasn't always easy to get them (we were in Asia at the time) or get them into her. She chipped two teeth that then became infected and had to be extracted. The dentist said she needed a lot of work, but it needed to be done under g.a. We went to see a biological dentist in the nearest city and she recommended the same. G.a. and 8 fillings needing to be filled. One tooth was decayed into the pulp, according to her. We could not even almost afford it. So, we just left it. We were back in South Africa at that point, so we bought supplements (actually for her eczema and allergies) and found goats' milk and butter, which she can now tolerate (cow dairy is still out). We did eat even less grains, mostly because they are not easy to find here (alternatives to gluten grains). She did still eat loads of fruit and starchy veggies. Still not much sugar, but more than before, what with being with grandparents that always feel sorry for her. We went back to this dentist last week. We asked her to help us figure out alternatives to g.a. She agreed to help us figure it out, looked at dd's teeth, looked again at all the cavities and told us they were all remineralised. She was very impressed. She has actually seen that happen with toothpastes, like Tooth Mousse, which she didn't want to give to dd because of allergies. I don't think she has ever seen it with diet. It is not a big thing here in SA. So, we are very, very impressed. The supps she took was Zinc, Magnesium and some B vitamins, cod liver oil. Also of course calc.phos. Oh and she did brush with a natural kiddies tooth paste with calc fluor in it. I am sure that helped.

Hope that is encouraging. My dd had terrible absorption in the past and with her limited diet I thought we had no hope. I am so very relieved that this finally worked.

#6 of 31 Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 AM

I guess we qualify.  I didn't have the dentist address my kids teeth.  I used nutrition, cell salts and clay with a spray of colloidal silver on the toothbrush.  The cavities stopped, and sealed over.  It was black, but now you can barely see it as the enamel hardened over it.  Same with mine.

It was not a full time job.  I administered cell salts throughout the course of the day, more often than not I just dropped them in the water.  I brushed twice a day (some days just once...not a fan of overbrushing) and when I did I sprinkled clay and sprayed the silver.  Honestly I don't know that the silver really did anything, but I did use it.

In terms of nutrition, I just focused on whole foods, stayed away from grains and that was pretty much it.  Other than avoiding allergens that it.

#7 of 31 Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 AM

This is really awesome. I have been stressed and anxious about my ds's tooth situation for a while now. After a horrific dental experience, and being told that he would a multitude of fillings, extractions, and crowns I wondered how truthful, or trustworthy this dentist was. Seriously, 16 of his teeth were decayed that bad? It didn't seem to make sense to me. My parents, who come from a less industrialized nation, thought it was entirely nonsense- b/c the teeth are baby teeth. It seemed to make more sense to fix things from the inside. Panserbjorne: Can you please tell me about the clay you used? What kind, and how did you do this? Does the clay help the body create more enamel? And what are cell salts?

Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

I guess we qualify.  I didn't have the dentist address my kids teeth.  I used nutrition, cell salts and clay with a spray of colloidal silver on the toothbrush.  The cavities stopped, and sealed over.  It was black, but now you can barely see it as the enamel hardened over it.  Same with mine.

It was not a full time job.  I administered cell salts throughout the course of the day, more often than not I just dropped them in the water.  I brushed twice a day (some days just once...not a fan of overbrushing) and when I did I sprinkled clay and sprayed the silver.  Honestly I don't know that the silver really did anything, but I did use it.

In terms of nutrition, I just focused on whole foods, stayed away from grains and that was pretty much it.  Other than avoiding allergens that it.

#8 of 31 Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 AM

PB, you used pascalite clay, right? http://www.pascalite.com/Prod.htm Just the regular powder, or the dental powder?

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#9 of 31 Old 01-20-2011, 03:51 AM

My dd devolped cavities on her canines.  The one wwnt deep and the other was more spread out on the tooth.  I gave her calc phos cell salt and applied pascalite clay (just the regular powder) after brushing with it.  The cavities sealed over and no further decay happened.  I recently got the one filled as it was very deep and even though it sealed over it always got food stuck in it and dd has been full about letting me brush and I thought that it was best filled but she didn't even have to get numbed.  The dentist was very impressed with the healing.  And the crazy thing is I didn't even give her that much calc, as I didn't know at the time that it had to be given often.  Just once per day did it!

#10 of 31 Old 01-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

Can you give me an idea of how long this it took to heal the cavities?  I just found 2 cavities on ds's top back molars, and want to try this.  But I'm feeling uncertain, so if I had some kind of time frame, maybe I could hold off on going to the dentist.  

Thanks

#11 of 31 Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM

I'd say I saw a difference in about 2 months, but it took more like 6 months to totally seal over.

#12 of 31 Old 02-24-2011, 10:51 PM

My 14-month old baby's teeth started developing brown spots last Wednesday. By Monday, all 8 of her exposed teeth showed significant decay and one them has chipped quite a bit, with mostly dentin visible now. We've been to 2 dentists so far, both say we need to crown all 8 teeth under gen. anesthesia.  I am hoping to curb the damage as quickly as possible and somehow avoid the surgery though I am not very hopeful and I have a world of pressure on me from both sides of the family to go through with it.  Of course, I want to do what is best for my child, but I am sooo nervous that if I say no to surgery her teeth will rot, she'll get an infection and they'll all have to be pulled and/or her permanent teeth will be damaged.

I have always nursed her to sleep and nursed throughout the night and at naptime.  I am sure this is the main reason for decay.  Trying to come up with a plan to night wean, reducing night nursings as much as I can without forcing too much distress on my baby.  What I've done so far:  I just ordered Ramiel Nagel's Cure Tooth Decay, started using fluoridated toothpaste and floss as well as Spry xylitol toothpaste and xylitol mouth spray, started baby DHA cod liver oil, a liquid multi-vitamin that includes zinc and magnesium.  I am going to buy the ingredients for bone broth tomorrow (should I buy chicken or beef bones?).

My questions:

What does Calc. Phos. do and how often do I administer it? I bought the Hyland's brand (Calcarea Phosphorica 30X), is this right? I am assuming these little white tablets are what others refer to as 'cell salts'.

Why are others avoiding grains?? My baby eats grains everyday (steel cut oats for breakfast, brown rice almost every day, quinoa, millet, barley and other wheat products).

Is colloidal silver spray better than xylitol?

What does the pascalite clay do? I'm assuming it is used in lieu of toothpaste.  Does it re-calcify or re-mineralize the teeth? How often should I use it? Is it safe if swallowed - no constipation?

I would really appreciate some advice! We are headed to yet another dentist tomorrow and again next Tuesday.  After that we are making the big decision on which dentist to use for the surgery unless I can convince my husband and myself to try 'natural' remedies.

Thank you :)

#13 of 31 Old 02-25-2011, 05:25 AM

I don't know the extent of your child's decay, but when I went into the dentist with DD who is 3, the dentist (pediatric dentist) told us that she had some area of concern and prescribed a topical flouride gel that we apply at night.  It's suppose to help remineralization.

DS1 did have cavities, but they were filled using a laser.  Totally painless (his report).  No anesthetic either.  I suggest you seek out a pediatric dentist who uses a laser.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#14 of 31 Old 02-25-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isla's Mommy View Post

My 14-month old baby's teeth started developing brown spots last Wednesday. By Monday, all 8 of her exposed teeth showed significant decay and one them has chipped quite a bit, with mostly dentin visible now. We've been to 2 dentists so far, both say we need to crown all 8 teeth under gen. anesthesia.  I am hoping to curb the damage as quickly as possible and somehow avoid the surgery though I am not very hopeful and I have a world of pressure on me from both sides of the family to go through with it.  Of course, I want to do what is best for my child, but I am sooo nervous that if I say no to surgery her teeth will rot, she'll get an infection and they'll all have to be pulled and/or her permanent teeth will be damaged.

I have always nursed her to sleep and nursed throughout the night and at naptime.  I am sure this is the main reason for decay.  Trying to come up with a plan to night wean, reducing night nursings as much as I can without forcing too much distress on my baby.  What I've done so far:  I just ordered Ramiel Nagel's Cure Tooth Decay, started using fluoridated toothpaste and floss as well as Spry xylitol toothpaste and xylitol mouth spray, started baby DHA cod liver oil, a liquid multi-vitamin that includes zinc and magnesium.  I am going to buy the ingredients for bone broth tomorrow (should I buy chicken or beef bones?).

My questions:

What does Calc. Phos. do and how often do I administer it? I bought the Hyland's brand (Calcarea Phosphorica 30X), is this right? I am assuming these little white tablets are what others refer to as 'cell salts'.

Why are others avoiding grains?? My baby eats grains everyday (steel cut oats for breakfast, brown rice almost every day, quinoa, millet, barley and other wheat products).

Is colloidal silver spray better than xylitol?

What does the pascalite clay do? I'm assuming it is used in lieu of toothpaste.  Does it re-calcify or re-mineralize the teeth? How often should I use it? Is it safe if swallowed - no constipation?

I would really appreciate some advice! We are headed to yet another dentist tomorrow and again next Tuesday.  After that we are making the big decision on which dentist to use for the surgery unless I can convince my husband and myself to try 'natural' remedies.

Thank you :)

Honestly, Mama, if you are looking at crowns on 8 teeth--it sounds like you have some serious decay.  I would still look into natural remedies, but more of a prevention going forward.

Please seek out a pediatric dentist, if you haven't already.  Also ask them about testing you for the bacteria (streptococcus mutansin) your mouth that causes caries (cavities)...and a treatment plan you can undergo.  From what I remember, it's usually an oral rinse.. but there may be other things involved.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#15 of 31 Old 02-25-2011, 11:36 AM

I highly recommend the book Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nagel. Got it through my library. The most important thing he says is that caries are NOT caused by bacteria eating sugar, or bm! He backs it up with lots of info, including a common sense illustration: 2 bowls on the counter for a few days, one filled w flour and sugar, one with fish. Which one smells bad in a few days, and which one looks exactly the same. Sugar itself in ANTIBACTERIAL! And that bm is antibacterial and works better than almost anything at protecting against the strains of bacteria blamed for cavities. As long as the mouth is awash in bm, there should be no bacterial overgrowth.

He not only talks about WAP, like most people on MDC, but also Melvin Page, who found that sugar DID have a lot to do w/cavities, but not in the mouth, in the bloodstream. He found that, in addition to proper nutrition (like WAP), you have to get it into the tooth and THROUGH it to the right spots in order to replace the decaying cells (as your teeth naturally decay continuously like any other cell in your body).  To get the nutrients from your blood through the tooth you needed to maintain a certain balance of calcium to phosphorus in the blood. When the balance was off, even if you had enough nutrients to replace cells you would pull fluids from inside the tooth (and bones, etc), and even the mouth, into your bloodstream instead, in order to restore the balance.  Blood sugar spikes, and for 6-8 hours after, mess up the balance.

He also advises against dental treatment as long as you're willing to do the work (nutrition changes) and there is no pain, ESPECIALLY avoiding drilling small cavities as once they fill it's not really possibly to fully heal the tooth. If there is no pain, it's purely cosmetic. This really rang true with me and helped me make peace with my desire to avoid them extracting and crowning my 2 year old under GA.

Very fascinating stuff. Highly recommend the book.

bean and readmore1 like this.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#16 of 31 Old 03-08-2011, 07:55 AM

I agree with gabbyraja. Tooth decay is a nutrition issue. My health practitioner says that teeth are our nutritional window. 

I was told that my son needed 6 cavities filled, a root canal, and seals on his back teeth for over $2k. Instead, I decided to go the natural route. We use Dr. Collins restore toothpaste. It is non-fluoride and remineralizes the teeth. We changed his diet-eliminating gluten grains and cutting WAY back on sugars of all kinds. We have always had a natural, mostly organic diet otherwise. Before, you could see the dark pit in one tooth and now it is practically gone. The tooth will heal if you get the nutrition part worked out. 

#17 of 31 Old 03-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaGreene View Post

I agree with gabbyraja. Tooth decay is a nutrition issue. My health practitioner says that teeth are our nutritional window. 

I was told that my son needed 6 cavities filled, a root canal, and seals on his back teeth for over $2k. Instead, I decided to go the natural route. We use Dr. Collins restore toothpaste. It is non-fluoride and remineralizes the teeth. We changed his diet-eliminating gluten grains and cutting WAY back on sugars of all kinds. We have always had a natural, mostly organic diet otherwise. Before, you could see the dark pit in one tooth and now it is practically gone. The tooth will heal if you get the nutrition part worked out. 

I don't think anyone would disagree that it's in part a nutrition issue.  the problem is that's a pretty broad umbrella and tends to be multifactorial.  there are many reasons why someone might not be accessing certain nutrients, or have a higher that average requirement.

#18 of 31 Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM

I was in a similar situation  My son started complaining of a toothache and thinking (he's 5) I was neglecting him i took him to the only dentist who answered their phone on a friday during a snowstorm.  What a mistake.  She drilled and crowned it roughly after a brutal scene giving the local.  I watched her jam that crown down so hard and watched his little gum puff out.  He cried for the rest of the night  Cut to two days later it abcesses the origional dentist sends me to the "greatest" ped surgery center thinking hed need sedated/extracted.  They sell me $3500 worth of sedated work to happen the following moth and antibiotics to help the infection.  So in another 2 days while new super-surgeon is away on a conference it festers and my boy is back at origional dentist getting it pulled on my dh's lap both getting blood splattered.  So now I have a dilemma.  What to do about the other molar that has an obvious brown spot and the dentist said wasz in worse shape that the one that got pulled?  I didn't trust what I thought was a sales job for the iv surgery, but I didn't want tooth infections lowering his resistance.  So I got an appt for the following moth for a ped dentist who did not require we be separated for all procedures (as did the supercenter), and  using what I know about nutrition, teeth being outgrowths from  healthy body etc. I got us a supply of raw goats milk (nubian-20$/week) and forced him to drink it daily, multiple times.  Stopped all of the sugar bribes I was suddenly aware of, and faithful brushing and can see where there is fresh white tooth grown back where there was a brown hole.  This took about a month.  I am now considering cancelling the 3rd appt with the 3rd dentist instead going to this holistic guy I found  from a link in his forum, At least he might not try to undo what I've done and may support my instincts.   So this is a success story for sure-how much of one I'll know at whichever appt he goes to.  But I am so disappointed in myself and dh in our haste I'm sure we cost him his tooth and when he smiles I am reminded and regretful. 

#19 of 31 Old 03-19-2011, 08:25 AM

The original poster was from July .... but I will give my 2-cents-worth for SunnieP

I know it is tough to have cavities in a kid's mouth. We have been there and done that. We improved our kid's brushing habits (see below) and were able to stop growing new cavities. DS1 got a stainless steel crown on one baby molar, fluoride varnish several times, and had a watch-and-wait cavity on a front incisor baby tooth. Dentist #1 had offered general anesthesia for the dental work, we got dentist #2 to do it with nitrous oxide + local, a much safer and lower cost way to go. DS1 has recently lost that front incisor (at age 7, 5 years after we first noticed the problem). Fluoride does not "reverse" tooth decay but it was able to strengthen the remaining tooth material and keep it in place until it was shed.

What worked for us: (as supported by evidence based medicine)

* fluoride toothpaste once DS1 learned to spit. (we are also on city water)

* cleanings every 6 months

* fluoride varnish every 6 months, as suggested by dentist

* ultrasonic toothbrush for improved cleaning (also more fun for the kid).

* xylitol gum or mints - needs to be 100% xylitol sweetened - we used Spry and Xylimax brands.

* We reduced the amount of "sticky" foods like raisins, DS loves raisins but they are pretty hard to brush off.

* No beverages after brushing teeth at night

* Sealants on molars.

I know it is a long list, but we wanted to do everything possible to keep his teeth healthy and make sure the adult teeth stay cavity free. The 6-month dentist appointments are VERY cost effective compared to stainless steel crowns, GA, extractions and root canal procedures.

If you have difficulty getting your child to brush, start with the "training toothpaste" and take them shopping for a new electric toothbrush. Make it fun.

#20 of 31 Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM

I zm still officially wavering between new-holistic dental practice thats 50 min away but uses no mercury and offers flouride free treatments and products, and the reg ped surgeon visit scheduled for next wednesday.  Both will use gas if necessary and hes so traumatized he may need it.  Im going to call them both on monday to try to tip the scales for me to decide. Maybe one of them uses a lazer.....i dont know,   Thanks for replying to my post.  DH isnt sure cavities can heal and wants me to keep the ped appt for wed and forget about the holistic practice.  I just liked the lady i talked to there much better even though we'll have to pay alot out of pocket.  They also offer some evening hours too and I like the fact they offer merc-free stuff.  But i'm wondering if im doing more harm than good,

#21 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 02:35 PM

It is my expectation that weak enamel can be made stronger (with fluoride + mipaste for example). But filling in holes in teeth "naturally" .. not going to happen. Either dentist will be able to offer composite fillings (mercury free).

Personally, I would choose the dentist who has better "chairside  manner" with your kid.

#22 of 31 Old 08-11-2011, 02:03 AM

Seriously, if you are giving your children that much fluoride you should at least do some research first. There are plenty of legitimate studies that show the dangers of fluoride. Your post looks like an ADVERT to try and convince parents that the only way to prevent tooth decay in children is to use fluoride, while there is evidence that fluoride can do massive damage to the bones and teeth over a long period of time. It is known to be one of the most bone-seeking elements there is, meaning that what goes into the body doesn't come out, instead it stays in the bones and can lead to osteoporosis, as well as tooth decay.. the very thing it is supposed to prevent. There are countries that will not put it into the water because of the massive health risks that it has been linked to. The Germans put fluoride into the water at concentration camps for the Jewish people to drink, what does that tell you?   There are plenty of ways to keep children's teeth healthy without the use of poisons like fluoride. There are water filters able to remove fluoride from drinking water if your water supply is fluoridated. I am lucky enough to live in a city that has not got fluoride in the water. I only use natural toothpastes, and my family and I eat a good healthy diet: No lollies, fizzys, junk food etc.. and our teeth are fine.  Check out the link... or do your own research.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-fluoride-can-damage-the-brain---avoid-use-in-children-124299299.html   

readmore1 likes this.
#23 of 31 Old 10-06-2011, 10:49 AM

I second Rami Nagels book.  My sons decay stopped only after we used nutritional threrapy.  We also did the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for three months and have had no new decay in almost three years, he will be six next month!  Still making those bone broths!

#24 of 31 Old 11-12-2011, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

I thought I'd update what we've done since I started this thread.

We tried EVERYTHING. Bought Ramil Nagel's book, did Dr. Ellie's xylitol system, spent $100 on high vitamin butter oil and fermented cod liver oil, gave ds 4 different types of cell salts 3x/day, painted clay on his teeth at night, limited sugar/juice/carbs/etc., fed him a traditional foods diet, got a temporary filling from a holistic dentist, tested the pH level of his saliva, fed him seaweed and nettles and hard cheese and I'm sure there are many more things I did that I can't remember off the top of my head.

However...his teeth continued to chip away and look worse and worse.  I spent so many hours thinking/worrying/stressing about his mouth- Is he feeling any pain? Does he have an abscess? Will his permanent teeth be affected? When will he develop insecurities from all the kids who are starting to ask why he has broken/brown teeth? Is his night-waking caused by tooth pain? Is his shyness or temper tantrum caused by headaches caused by tooth pain?

I had read somewhere that small children are unable to communicate tooth pain and will often say their head hurts or lips hurt, or won't say anything hurts, but they act out. I asked my son too often if his teeth hurt and he always said no, but flinched when I brushed his teeth, and was always pushing on the outside of his lip above the teeth. He also woke 3x4 times a night crying, and woke from his naps crying. (He's 3.)

We took him to see 4 dentists. Two of them had absolutely nothing to profit off of me- one was a family friend and the other was my personal holistic dentist, and they did not work with children.

They all said we needed to have the top four teeth extracted.

It took us 6 months to finally work up the courage to do it, still thinking we could "wait and see." But last week I felt a strong urge to take him in. I thought I saw an abscess forming and we took him in to see a fantastic pedodontist. She said there was no abscess,which was a huge relief to me because this meant no need for antibiotics (which he has never been on) and we set up the appointment for the 4 extractions. She gave me two options- general sedation in the hospital, or conscious sedation in her office. She allowed us in the room, even let my son sit on his dad's lap. No restraints, no papoose board needed. We opted for the conscious sedation, and though he wasn't too pleased about being there, once the meds kicked in he fell asleep and slept through his extractions. I was worried about the sedation since he has never even had Motrin in his life, much less a narcotic, but he did fine. 

He slept until the novocaine wore off, and I nursed him as soon as he woke up back home. There was no bleeding, minimal swelling, and he hasn't once complained about pain. I was forcefeeding him popsicles, but never had to give him anything else and by the next morning he was trying to bite into things with his gums. I kept trying to stop him without making too big of a deal about it, but he doesn't seem to miss his teeth at all. I've been asking him if his teeth hurt and he says, "no, they used to but they don't anymore."

Since his extractions, he has slept through the night EVERY NIGHT. This hasn't happened since he was born. He also just seems generally happier. Oh- and it turns out he DID have an abscess- something the dentist saw when she removed the tooth, which confirmed the importance of extracting that tooth because that could have caused damage to his adult tooth. There really is truth to "mother's intuition" since I just knew he had an abscess, but she didn't see it at his exam. 

His speech has not been affected, and he seems to be eating a little better since the procedure. He now looks like an adorable tiny little first grader with those missing teeth.  The other kids he's been around have not said anything to him, and I think as long as we don't make a big deal about it, the whole thing will soon be a distant memory.

In conclusion, I am glad we were able to wait until he was 3 to have the treatment. I am also relieved I don't have to worry about those teeth anymore. If I could go back in time, there is nothing I would do any differently.

I am extremely curious as to why so many of us AP moms have children with serious decay on those top four teeth. It has been proven that breast milk is not to blame, but I have another theory that I have come up with completely on my own. I don't think it is the breastmilk itself, but the all night nursing- when the baby is actually sleeping with the nipple in the mouth. This prevents those top four teeth from exposure to saliva which is constantly remineralizing holes in teeth. To me, if it was breastmilk then all of my baby's teeth would be decayed- not just the top 4. 

I would love to hear from other moms who also have had a similar experience, and I'm sorry you are going through this. What brings me comfort is knowing they are only baby teeth, and those adult teeth will be coming in soon enough.

#25 of 31 Old 11-12-2011, 09:12 PM

I can't offer any help with the not-filling option, as we had our daughter's cavities filled as well. She eats well, gets plenty of sun, we brush twice a day...but she still has gotten a few pretty bad cavities. They come on very quickly, and get big quickly. All of the pediatric dentists around wouldn't even consider working on a toddler without a papoose. They wanted to use the papoose without any form of sedation, and I am NOT okay with that at all. Nice way to scare a kid off the dentist for life. We knew the first one had to be filled soon, so we told the pediatric dentist to sedate her but NO papoose. She was agitated after, and ended up chewing her tongue pretty badly. Soon after, she developed a couple more cavities. We ended up calling around, and finally tried my mom's dentist. He normally treats adults, but has kids of his own around the same age as our daughter. He was willing to treat her, and it went great. She did get nitrous, but sat very still and he did a great job. She likes going for her check-ups, and we're always welcome to sit with her. DH and I switched to him as well, and we've been very pleased.

We have fluoridated water, but we do not use fluoridated toothpaste. We've started giving her cod liver oil to up her D levels, especially since we can't absorb enough from the sun during Nov. - Mar. here. There seems to be an increase in cavities in toddlers and young children, but I've seen it attributed to bottle rot. We never let DD fall asleep with a bottle, and in fact, she was breastfed. I'm not sure why AP moms would have any more of an increase in cavities in their kids. I wonder, though, if low D levels has something to do with the increase in general.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#26 of 31 Old 11-13-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holistic View Post

If I could go back in time, there is nothing I would do any differently.

I am glad your son is doing better.

I have to ask how the quoted is possible though.  Knowing now that he was in such terrible pain. You still would have waited?  I just don't understand.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#27 of 31 Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post

I have to ask how the quoted is possible though.  Knowing now that he was in such terrible pain. You still would have waited?  I just don't understand.

It was really important to me to wait until he was old enough to not have to have general anesthesia since the brain does so much growth in the first 3 years. And as I stated, I asked him constantly if he was in pain and always said no. I am proud of our decision to try and heal his teeth naturally, because in doing so other areas of his health were strengthened too. Regret, wishing to change the past, guilt, etc has no room in my life as a mother and I did the best I could with the information I had.

#28 of 31 Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 AM

Holisitc--I know the thread is very old, but I just wanted to say I think you should be very proud of your decision to wait it out. I'm glad that you finally found the path which worked for both you and your son. 

Also, I noticed your theory of why so many AP kids have cavities on the front teeth. I believe that's partially correct, nighttime breastfeeding. But children in traditional cultures who breastfed on demand (which included continuous night feedings) did not have rampant caries, or much of it all.

It's possible that AP kids are more caries prone because of their diet of whole grains and possibly the lack of saturated fats and calcium (many avoid high fat and dairy foods). According to Rami, whole grains is one of the top causes for tooth decay. When the teeth are not healthy, they are too weakened to withstand the constant presence of food on their teeth (any food, not just breastmilk, only thing is that formula fed infants don't have a bottle stuck in their mouths all night). Neither of my sons had the typical front teeth cavities, but the younger one has one canine that is spotted (and has been for a long time with no worsening) and it just so happens to be on the left side, where during nighttime feedings, the milk would likely pool as he sleeps on that side. 

My older son had most of his cavities on molars. Still has, as he hasn't started loosing them yet at age 10. I don't think he had much on the front teeth. But then both my sons have always been very solid sleepers, not waking much for nighttime feeding except the very early months. 

My oldest has had pretty bad caries since he was a toddler. I never met a dentist in the US who seemed surprised, but since we moved back to Sweden, where dental care is free for children, they all just gasp at the sight of his teeth. And they aren't really that bad, they're all fairly intact, but all in all he's had 15 cavities I think. 

We waited it out for a few years until he got an abscess at age 5 when we decided to get all his 12 cavities filled. I sort of regret it because I know understand that a filled cavity can't heal and it seems many fillings fell out. 

6 months ago we took him in for another cavity, which was so deep they considered a root canal. In the end, they filled it and said we could wait it out for 6 months. We're due to go back soon, but I definitely want to avoid a root canal, especially since he's had no pain whatsoever. I'm going to get some cell salts and see how that works. I'm also concerned about all the radiation exposure he's had by now. It's tricky, knowing what route to take. 

He has had some remineralization on his canine teeth, so we know it can happen. I think faith is a treatment that is a bit underestimated. I know I need to work on that, as I tend to get into panic mode easily. 

#29 of 31 Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'll chime in with our experience and you can take it for what it's worth.

DS (now 6yo) has a "brown-line of decay" along his top front 4 teeth (they came in that way and have decayed up to that brown line). I had made the decision to fix them then were sitting in the dentist chair and the dentist said "you know what, he's still really little, let's leave them" (this was just before he turned 3).

So, we left them.

They've only decayed up to that line and not past it. He never complains of them hurting and they're now super wiggly and getting ready to fall out on their own (the front two anyway).

He has had other cavities...we got one little one in a molar filled since he's not expecting to loose those for quite some time. He had another molar that got a cavity while we didn't have insurance and it got infected and needed to be pulled. Those front ones though since they're next in line to fall out we were comfortable with waiting them out...and I think breastfeeding helped...he nursed 'til he was 5.5.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#30 of 31 Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 AM

my grand daughter is the same as your child,she is going on 5 years in october.they is not much left to fall out.they say 6 years when they will fall out. i read there could be damage under.the school that she will be attending has a dentist i will take her to see them.a friend sharon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page