Please help one very stressed out mama! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD1 is supposed to go in to have 7 cavities filled and 2 of them will possibly need crowns.... My first question is about sedation, they are doing in office I.V. sedation and I am little bit confused because I have heard of some other mama's talking about sedation and anesthesia being 2 different things....

This office uses an outside board certified pediatric anesthesiologist that comes in and does the sedation and I was under the impression that she would be completely out. Is that right? Is there a different type of sedation?

And my other question is for those who's kids had to have crowns (maybe I will start a new thread for that specifically) they recommend stainless steel crowns for baby teeth if she needs one. Did you dc have any problems with the stainless steel ones? Should I pay the extra money and have the other type?

Thanks so much for any calming words you can give. I am just freaking out because my kids have never needed so much as an antibiotic for their whole life.... So I am just worried because they asked me if she is allergic to anything and I honestly don't know!....she has never been on any type of medication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh mama, bless your heart! I know how you feel, I was there when my ds was 2...he had to have 4 caps on his front teeth and 2 on molars. The weirdest thing is, my ds had an all organic healthy diet,no sugars or anything and he had all this enamel erosion....I kept beating myself up over it.

Anyway. He went under GA instead of office sedation. Not sure exactly what office sedation is, but I am thinking it may be conscious sedation, where they are awake but not aware of what is going on, they do not remember anything after it is over. My older son had this type of sedation when he broke his wrist and had it reset.
I was not offered this option, only GA. I was terrifed of GA but actually my son did very well. We did do the stainless steel caps, he is almost 7 now and about to lose baby teeth. The caps never bother him, I had one worry once when he was 4 and fell at school and I was afraid the cap was going to come off but it didnt. His friends think he has a "grill" and think he is cool, so he was never picked on either about his teeth.
With GA he woke up a little irritated but an hour later when we were leaving the hospital, he cried because he didnt want to leave. When we got home he ate 3 slices of pizza!!!!!! So it didn not affect him in any way.

Your dd will be fine, I know how you feel but this procedure is done all the time with great success rate.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much for your reply!! I know what you mean about beating yourself up over it. My kids are fed a mostly (90% or more depending on what I can get at the store) organic diet and while they do get sugar it is VERY limited, and I have never missed a day without brushing her teeth since she got her first tooth at 4 mos.... So, your post makes me feel SO much better!

User Tag List