how to protect fetus from in-utero mercury transmission? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

I have a mouth full of amalgam. Is there a way of preventing or at least mitigating the amount of metal that will be passed along to my unborn baby? I just read in another thread that third trimester mercury exposure is an even bigger problem than breastfeeding with amalgams.

Anything I can do at this point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 PM

Subbing because I am interested in this as well. I want to have my amalgams removed before TTC but we really can't afford it. Wondering if there might be ways to keep baby safe.
#3 of 5 Old 08-25-2010, 09:36 PM

I'm not completely sure about how much mercury your baby will be exposed to with existing amalgams, but please be aware that when amalgams are removed and replaced with composite material, you may be introducing BPAs into your mouth. I would find a dentist who can restore your teeth with ceramic restorations such as those produced by a Cerec machine.
#4 of 5 Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Ceramic fillings are $2000 each, aren't they? That isn't even remotely possible.
#5 of 5 Old 08-26-2010, 01:52 PM

Oh...yes, they are more expensive. I didn't think about the price before I recommended it. I don't think they are $2000, though, but I will check to find out what the average price is and post it later. I think, too, that there may be a BPA free composite material available, but your dentist may not use that particular one, and you may have to discuss it with him/her and maybe ask for them to try and find one that is bpa free (if you are concerned about it). FWIW, I have a mouth full of amalgams and both of my kiddos are fine. I know that's not the "answer" you're looking for, but just wanted to throw it out there in case it might ease your fears a little.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page