Permanant teeth growing in behind baby teeth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2010, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 7 year old dd has not lost any teeth yet. My ds didn't lose any teeth until he was 7 and I didn't lose any until I was 7 either - so I'm not really concerned that she hasn't. She says one of her bottom front teeth is loose, but I can't really feel it when I try to wiggle it - so I don't know if it's really loose, or wishful thinking on her part (she desperately wants to lose one and is really bummed that she figured out who the Tooth Fairy is before she even lost one). Anyhow, I noticed today that her permanant bottom front teeth are growing in behind the baby teeth. I'd say they're both about a quarter to a third of the way errupted - so it isn't just teeth barely poking through. I mentioned it to her and she said "Yeah, they've been like that for awhile." She thinks it's cool that she has "shark teeth." . I'm just wondering if I should be worried about it - will the baby teeth need to be pulled, or will they still come out on their own and the new teeth migrate forward? Her baby teeth are gorgeous and perfectly straight, and I was hoping the permanant ones would grow in the same way (DS1's baby teeth were always out of whack, and the perms are coming in pretty crooked and weird, too. It's too soon to say for sure, but I suspect he'll need braces eventually.). Anyhow - is this worth am ASAP trip to the dentist? I've been leisurely searching for a new dentist for the kids, but I haven't found one yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
My 7 year old dd has not lost any teeth yet. My ds didn't lose any teeth until he was 7 and I didn't lose any until I was 7 either - so I'm not really concerned that she hasn't. She says one of her bottom front teeth is loose, but I can't really feel it when I try to wiggle it - so I don't know if it's really loose, or wishful thinking on her part (she desperately wants to lose one and is really bummed that she figured out who the Tooth Fairy is before she even lost one). Anyhow, I noticed today that her permanant bottom front teeth are growing in behind the baby teeth. I'd say they're both about a quarter to a third of the way errupted - so it isn't just teeth barely poking through. I mentioned it to her and she said "Yeah, they've been like that for awhile." She thinks it's cool that she has "shark teeth." . I'm just wondering if I should be worried about it - will the baby teeth need to be pulled, or will they still come out on their own and the new teeth migrate forward? Her baby teeth are gorgeous and perfectly straight, and I was hoping the permanant ones would grow in the same way (DS1's baby teeth were always out of whack, and the perms are coming in pretty crooked and weird, too. It's too soon to say for sure, but I suspect he'll need braces eventually.). Anyhow - is this worth am ASAP trip to the dentist? I've been leisurely searching for a new dentist for the kids, but I haven't found one yet.
My 7 year old ds is experiencing the same. He lost his first tooth right before his 7th birthday and has lost 4 more in the last 9 months. All of his teeth were loose for months before they eventually fell out. The last two teeth to loosen didn't fall out until the permanent teeth that had erupted behind them were almost all the way out. Once the baby teeth finally fell out, the permanent teeth quickly moved into their proper place.

His dentist explained that the belief used to be that the permanent teeth coming up pushed the baby teeth out of the way. He said now the idea is that there are two different enzyme reactions that cause baby teeth to fall out and permanent teeth to erupt. Ideally, the enzymatic reactions are supposed to be in sync--the baby teeth fall out and there is the permanent tooth to take its place almost immediately. It doesn't always work out that way though. Our dentist said there is nothing that can be done. Just make sure that the permanent tooth gets brushed as best as possible, which can be difficult with the baby tooth in the way. My ds has enjoyed his shark teeth too, btw.

Ds baby teeth were perfectly straight also, but with a small jaw we expect that at some point he will need braces. His permanent teeth are much bigger than the baby teeth. We just saw the orthodonist for the first time and he has suggested taking a wait and see approach until the next largest permanent teeth have errupted. Then he'll have a better idea of how much space/work will be needed.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 AM

I just dealt with a stubborn baby tooth in my 12 yo DS. He has been late losing teeth all the way (dentist says it is good as he will have better brushing habits when all permanent teeth are in). But this latest tooth turned pink in the center, which means that it was getting reabsorbed. The dentist recommended really working to getting it out or to have it removed if it would not budge. I was getting concerned as he has had straight teeth and I did not want to have problem with tooth growing in. Had the tooth not been pink I would have let nature be.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM

This signifies a jaw not growing wide enough to accomodate all teeth. This is chiefly not genetic but nutritional in origin, see WAPF link in my sig.

Or, if upper palate, also can be a result of mouth breathing which means the tongue is not constantly pressing against roof of mouth and helping it to expand.

Or allergy/digestive issues causing malabsorption of nutrients.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 AM

Jane S - That is interesting. When I look back at DS growing up ( he is 12), he had signs of food intolerances but we did not have knowledge to notice. DD is 7.5 yrs younger and with IgE food allergies making us all more aware. I need to research this more. Thanks for the insight!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:26 AM

My 5 year old DD has two bottom permanent teeth already about 1/3 erupted and both baby teeth still in place. At first the baby teeth weren't loose at all but yesterday one got really loose and the other is moving so it looks like they will be out soon.

I called the dentist when they weren't loose and she said not to worry about it, give it some time and if they didn't come out in a couple months then they would think about what needed to be done.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 PM

My 7 year old had this happen as well. They give it the slang name of "shark teeth." It's fairly common, probably due to the American diet.

My daughter's adult teeth came in and eventually pushed the baby teeth loose. It has taken awhile for them to move forward, but they are. They're not particularly straight like her baby teeth are, but at this point what can you do? We've been eating WAPF-ish for about 2 years already. I suppose orthodontics will be in her future.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 AM

So funny that you're asking this... came on for this same reason. My DD is 5 and her baby tooth lower front is VERY loose but the permanent tooth is already coming in behind it and it's big. It's behind the front loose tooth AND the two on either side! I'm wondering if she will have to have those on the sides pulled... I know she will need extractions in the future b/c her baby teeth are tightly packed like mine were and I had to have many pulled... just no room for all the teeth plus they are larger than normal I was told...

Right now I'm looking for a holistic dentist and trying to figure out how to avoid the sedation practices used by traditional dentists without my daughter being traumatized tho. Want to wait until she's as old as possible before the first extraction too but w/o messing up her bite too much.

with DD 5 years old
Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM

This signifies a jaw not growing wide enough to accomodate all teeth. This is chiefly not genetic but nutritional in origin, see WAPF link in my sig."

Jane...is there a particular article on the WAPF site that talks about this? I've been looking around but haven't found anything and I've very interested to learn more.

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 PM

Hey, Jeri!  I thought M was the oldest child I knew who hadn't yet lost a tooth, but R is like 4 mos older, I think.  :)  Anyhow, he also has a tooth growing in behind his first and FINALLY loose tooth.  We realized it was loose just a few days ago and he was sooooo excited.  

If you're still in the market for a dentist, we love ours.  He's Dr. Poiset and his office is across the street from Children's Hospital.  He did all that work in M's mouth a few years ago and now we're seeing him for A.  He looked at A today and it is not good news at all.  He didn't even count the cavities, but just showed them to me as he looked through his mouth and it is just a nightmare.  But I told him that it's important to me to keep nursing if I can (Aug's 23 mos now) and he thought I should bring A in every three months until we weaned or there was pain or he thought there was a high chance of infection (he said infection is a problem bc it can damage the adult teeth).  I thought that was a pretty enlightened approach.  I am certain that nursing has contributed to M's and A's teeth issues.  They are (were) both all-night nursers.  He's also very calm and gentle and non-judgemental.  

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:18 PM

hello ladies my son is 41/2 and he has 2 baby teeth growing and dont knw what to do about it... i knw how kids can be now in days..

Old 03-23-2011, 09:01 PM

Just saw this thread bumped up again so I thought I'd update. DD's 2 bottom teeth that had big teeth growing in before she lost the baby teeth came in really great. They are straight and in perfect condition.
She has since lost another tooth and a little permanent tooth is starting to show and a 4th tooth is just about ready to fall out.
I don't really think her jaw is not growing properly, she has a lot of room and none of her teeth are crowded.
Her diet is healthy and vegetarian, she nursed until she was 4 and has never had a cavity.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris

User Tag List