Tooth decay help for my 3 1/2 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter has visible tooth decay on her front teeth, and a possible small spot forming into a cavity. I signed up for monthly flouride treatments and the dentist gave me a prescription flouride toothpaste. The night I used the toothpaste, I used 1/4 of what he told me. The next morning, she vomited for 4 hours straight. We are on well water, so that was the thought behind all the flouride, but I am scared to use it again.

My father was a dentist and we were on well water and never had flouride treatment, unfortunately he has passed away, so I can't get his advice.

Her history: My daughter did have an intolerance to milk, so she drinks a lot of OJ because of the calcium and vit d. She doesn't really like to drink milk now. She was entirely breastfeed until 2 1/2, she had feeding delays, so I am shocked she even has decay because she has only been eating for a year.

Anyway - can I reverse the decay (on her top front teeth) and stop the cavity from forming (on her back upper molar) without flouride?

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds had cavities on his front teeth, and his dentist (actually 2 of them) said that there wasn't anything we could have done to have stopped it. Not fluoride, not less sweets. His enamel just grew in weak. There wasn't actually any decay in them.

From what I've read, it seems that there are some nutrition things you can do to promote tooth health, like CLO and grass fed butter.

ftr, (even though you didn't ask) we used atraumatic restorative treatment (ART) to get them filled, and it worked just as it was supposed to.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

User Tag List