early dentition--anyone notice patterns, associations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS is 4y5m and at the dentist's office on Friday, I learned that his two bottom front teeth are slightly loose. I don't know of any trauma he's had, he hasn't complained of pain, so I'm thinking this is likely the beginning of his baby teeth falling out.

Why so early? Any guesses? Anything you've seen in your kids? DS's baby teeth arrived early too, he had a dozen by the time he was 12 mos old.

His health isn't perfect, it's improving a lot, I've worked quite a bit on it these past few years, so while I'm not panicked, I want to start looking around for whether this is (yet another) subtle sign of things being slightly amiss.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wrote on another post that my two oldest children lost their first teeth at about 4.5 years and the next three or so fell out soon after. My youngest is a few months past 5 and all her teeth are rock solid in her mouth. She also didn't get any teeth til about 11 months while the older two started teething around 4. 5 months and probably had twelve teeth each at a year.

perhaps there is a genetic component...i had my wisdom teeth out at 15 because they coming in horizonally and I could feel pressure in my jaws. That seemed early to me. My neice also has lost a bunch of teeth from about the age of 5. And our youngest who keeps wiggling her teeth to try to make them loose was adopted into our family so has no genetic relationship to us.

i recall calling my dentist when my oldest daughter's teeth started to fall out because I thought she was really young. He said that it was a bit on the young side but if they were coming out in the same order as growing in then it probably wasn't a concern.
#3 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 04:31 PM

I got my first teeth around 3-4 months, and lost all my baby teeth by the time I was 6. FWIW, I also had an extra front tooth in both my baby and adult sets, so when the adult teeth started growing in, all dental heck broke loose and I think all my teeth just jumped ship.

My sister got her first tooth at only 2 months, but she lost hers earlier than her friends but not as early as I did, so go fig.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#4 of 7 Old 10-17-2010, 09:45 PM

usually they follow the pattern of the baby teeth, that is to say if they came in early, they're likely to lose them early as well.
#5 of 7 Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM

my older son was a one-tooth wonder at a year old, and at almost 6, none of his teeth are loose yet. my younger son was about the same-- he had two teeth at a year old. i want to say i remember reading something about early teething being connected to the early loss of baby teeth, but i couldn't name a source at this point. so here you are, one more point of anec-data. :-)

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#6 of 7 Old 10-17-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
usually they follow the pattern of the baby teeth, that is to say if they came in early, they're likely to lose them early as well.
This is what our pediatrician and ped dentist told us too.
My son's baby teeth came in early - to the surprise of the ped who said the teeth of premature babies come in at adjusted age - but not my son, his came in early. He also lost his baby teeth early. His twin sister, however, had baby teeth come in later and only has three permanent teeth compared to his 7 or 8.
#7 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks everyone. It doesn't sound like it's associated with anything odd, just the way he's going to do things.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page