Help! fillings & nursing? Sensodyne floride free? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just went to the dentist because I'm having pain when I bite down on food sometimes. The dentist said I had no cavities that would lead her to believe is causing the pain. She suggested I use sensodyne toothpaste but it has flouride in it and I avoid flouridated toothpaste. Anyone know of a flouride-free way to help my sensitive tooth?

Also - I need three new cavities filled with resin composite fillings and I need one old amalgam filling replaced because it is cracking my tooth! I'm breastfeeding a two month old right now. Not sure if I should wait at all or get this taken care of ASAP, if stuff will get into my milk, etc...

I looked into having a holistic dentist remove the old filling - it would be roughly almost $400.00 for that and then another $360.00 at my regular dentist to do the other three composite fillings. Yikes. We really can't afford this but I don't know what choice we have - if we wait I may be needing root-canals and it may be thousands instead of hundreds of dollars.

Additionally - my husband and I do not family plan (we let babies come when their time comes - it's part of our religious beliefs) so even though it might be better for the baby's sake to wait 'til baby is nursing less (on baby food and water in addition to mother's milk) - at that time I may be more likely to become pregnant again and I think mercury exposure to a brand new embryo or fetus would be VERY bad. So I think I should just do this now with the holistic dentist. Also - I have several more amalgam fillings I'd like to eventually replace them all - is it better to replace them slowly over time or get them all done together?

Opinions and experiences, pleeeeeeeeeeease???

Rachel, mom to 5 children and expecting another in 2014!

Our blog!

#2 of 2 Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And I wonder if it would be possible to explain to my regular dentist my request to please make sure to get ALL the amalgam out safely (use water spray, etc.) and is it possible for me to rent an air tank so I can breath in clean air (not mercury vapors)? It would save me, like over $300 if my regular dentist can do the removal. If I can do that - is there anything I can just do and request my dentist to do that will minimize my mercury exposure or do I really HAVE to see a holistic dentist?

Rachel, mom to 5 children and expecting another in 2014!

Our blog!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page