Can you recommend a good fluoride-free, glycerin-free tooth paste/powder/soap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD has a few holes in two of her molars and is developing a brownish stain on one incisor. I want to try remineralising her teeth, and have been upping her good fats and so on, but her toothpaste has glycerin so obviously, it isn't working. I found this tooth soap online, but I really don't know what's best. Advice, please?

We'd all like to use it, preferably, but it needs to be gentle enough for a toddler and preferably not taste too vile.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd developed holes, and decay stopped and sealed over when we started using pascalite clay to brush with with and pack it on too at night, and we also used cell salts.

I get bored with the same powders, so I switch it up with nettles powder, Uncle Harrys Tooth Powder (a little minty for young kids though), and UH remineralization powder (better for kids). I tried tooth soap and it went terribly bad for me. We like our powders better.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so I'm looking up various brands. I want to avoid tooth powders or pastes that contain baking soda, because I've heard it's bad for the enamel to use it regularly (as opposed to its occasional use as a whitening treatment). So that rules out EcoDent. I also want to avoid SLS if possible.

So, there's Uncle Harry's Tooth Powder, which is chalk-based. There's a flavour-neutral one made of diatomaceous kaolin (only!). There's Salty Jane Liquid Tooth Soap, which I like the sound of because it doesn't have essential oils (I'm not agin them, but I'm pregnant, and you know how it is with essential oils).... but it's very expensive. There's also the Spry infant tooth gel - I like the ingredient list, but DD is nearly three so I'm not sure she counts as an "infant", and I don't know if it's suitable for older kids and adults to use. I'd prefer to get something we can all use, obviously.

So... any recommendations, anecdotes, or pointing out of scary ingredients I may have missed? Please? I'm out of my depth here...

Old 12-14-2010, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

You are definitely on the right track with tooth soap and Uncle Harrys powder.  Those are the best for what you are looking for, no doubt. 

'09   
Old 12-14-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I also found this tooth soap from InspiredLiving.com. Anyone know if it's better than the "Tooth Soap" tooth soap?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My kids use the Spry gel and they are almost 2, 5 and 7.  Spry also makes a toothpaste, it is peppermint and my kids love it.  It took them awhile to get used to the peppermint, but they did it on their own little by little. They go back and forth with the spry gel and the toothpaste.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Old 06-28-2011, 02:14 PM

I know it has been a long time, but did you ever find a glycerin-free toothpaste or powder (other than tooth soap)?  I have been battling to find a children's toothpaste that's free of glycerin (free of fluoride is easy enough) and am thinking of just going to an adult toothpaste to avoid the glycerin.  Your findings would be welcome!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly, no; I think I narrowed it down, but then we got broke and couldn't afford fancy toothpaste, let alone the shipping to New Zealand. :(

Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Vicco Tooth powder (not Vicco tooth paste) is all natural. It costs $3.50 sgd from a local Indian store here. I read somewhere that it is also available in Indian stores in Sydney/Melbourne. Thought there would be Indian stores in NZ as well? insist on the powder though. My five year old did not complain about the taste, tho, she complains abt the color as it is dark brown.

http://nanaymiriam.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/vicco-tooth-powder-from-india/

Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarahalexismom View Post

Vicco Tooth powder (not Vicco tooth paste) is all natural. It costs $3.50 sgd from a local Indian store here. I read somewhere that it is also available in Indian stores in Sydney/Melbourne. Thought there would be Indian stores in NZ as well? insist on the powder though. My five year old did not complain about the taste, tho, she complains abt the color as it is dark brown.

http://nanaymiriam.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/vicco-tooth-powder-from-india/

Anymore ideas? Great links, thanks :)

Old 12-27-2013, 08:02 PM

Just came across this toothpaste called Earthpaste which is flouride and glycerin-free. We just ordered some for our family.

Reviewers say wintergreen is best and that lemon is also a big hit with kids. 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=earthpaste

Old 01-19-2014, 05:33 AM

I make my own. Coconut oil, sea salt, crushed calcium tablets, a little baking powder and diatemaceous earth (you may not want to put those in) xylitol and peppermint oil.

There are remineralising recipes on the net that also use bentonite clay. Next time I may add that.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 PM

Try Coral White it is a toothpaste that is good for you!! Just google  coral white toothpaste They have an adult one and a children's one.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Baking Soda is good. It breaks down the acid in the mouth. 

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Op I hope you found something. It is cheaper to make your own and you do not need to add baking soda. I don't know how old your dd is but a good mouthwash is easy to make also even if it is simply swishing mineral salt in the mouth in the morning to make her mouth alkaline.
Best

User Tag List