Dental X-rays for 4 year old -- what's reasonable? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has an extra tooth, both the baby and the adult forming underneath it, which has the potential to mess up his other teeth as they're coming in, which can be seen already happening on the x-rays. At his first dental visit they took two x-rays in the front, which I thought was okay. Then this time they wanted to take bitewings, which I wasn't wild about, but I said okay. Well, the kid sized sensor wasn't working, so she kept trying to do it with the adult sensor which he couldn't hold in his mouth. It took like half an hour and he got 5 x-rays instead of 2 because they all kept coming out messed up.

That experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I should have called it off when things were going wrong, but coulda shoulda woulda. Now, the dentist said there might be other extra teeth so we should do a panoramic next time.

It seems excessive to me. They're digital x-rays, but I'd still prefer they were few and far between. But what's reasonable, given his extra tooth, which does need to be monitored?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure what is reasonable but I wanted to say we are in a similar situation.

DS(9) had two extra baby teeth on top, to the right and to the left of his front teeth. We did not find this our until we switched dentists at age 5 because our original dentist wasn't great and they came in perfectly straight so I never noticed . I still worried about what that would mean for his adult teeth so we did allow one panoramic at age five.
The panoramic didn't turn out that great but the doctor thought it looked like he would have one extra adult tooth. That extra tooth is just now starting to poke through his gums.

We've been taking a wait and see approach to the extra tooth. The panoramic to me was kind of like getting an ultrasound during pregnancy to find out the gender or count the toes. It really just helped me get over my curiosity about what was going on in with his extra teeth. It did not lead to us taking any action about the problem.

We are now waiting for the tooth to come all the way in and then will most likely have it pulled.

I would ask the dentist what they are going to do with the information found with the extra view. Would this lead them to push for surgery to extract the tooth? Looking back now we most def. could have skipped the panoramic and let nature take it's course. But I'm sure each situation is different.

Good Luck!

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.

User Tag List