Pregnant and can't afford extraction, bone graft - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To make a long story short, I had a bad dentist in my teens who didn't perform a root canal properly. I had another dentist try to fix it, another who suggested extraction and then another tell me not to take it out. The infection, abscess would return every other year or so for the last maybe 5 years, I'd get antibiotics and then it would go away. I hadn't gotten any clear answers on whether to take it out or not so I didn't.

I'm 23 weeks pregnant on Thursday and just went through an infection episode around week 17- week 19 or so. My face never gotten big and swollen or anything like that. I used garlic for a good bit then got nervous and went on a round of antibiotics. I saw another dentist in my new hometown and he suggests removing it before my 3rd trimester, the end of next month along with a bone graft.

I can't afford it whatsoever. It's 559, they have a small discount but even with payment plans (calling today to see if they have any) and a discount, I can't afford it right now. All of my birth and baby expenses are coming to a head right now. I wont be clear of payments and things till January. Should I rush to take this tooth out? Is there no way for me to wait a little longer to take it out?

I am GBS+ from a urine culture and so will be on antibiotics again within the next week or two, my tooth isn't bothering me at all. I'm just not sure what to do now or if I should be urgent about it.

Any advice is appreciated. I did read back into the posts here but wanted to know specifically on my situation. Thank you.

Edit:
Forgot to mention that even my midwife thinks I should take the tooth out. Didn't really get a reason beyond "the sooner, the better" and infection is bad in pregnancy.

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#2 of 4 Old 10-27-2010, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ive had a tooth removed during pregnancy, it wasn't that bad in terms of pain. a simple extraction is about 100$ here from a general dentist. however a bone graft may be necessary, eventually, but id wait on that. is the plan to eventually have an implant placed? you could first have tooth pulled, then after baby's born have bone graft, then once that heals, have implant, which would give you more time to save up for it/get some insurance.
#3 of 4 Old 10-27-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks.
I'm wondering if I can have it done later on in my pregnancy instead of within the next few weeks.

The dentist here charges $284 just to pull the tooth and wants to do the graft the same day instead of later which is another $275. I wasn't planning to do anything with it beyond have it pulled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmidwestmama View Post
ive had a tooth removed during pregnancy, it wasn't that bad in terms of pain. a simple extraction is about 100$ here from a general dentist. however a bone graft may be necessary, eventually, but id wait on that. is the plan to eventually have an implant placed? you could first have tooth pulled, then after baby's born have bone graft, then once that heals, have implant, which would give you more time to save up for it/get some insurance.

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#4 of 4 Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
id search for a cheaper dentist. pulling a tooth alone isn't a very complex procedure. here many dentists charge more then 100, we shopped around and found a good dentist that charges the lower rates. also, call your local state university dental school and see if you can get on the list for care there, it's approx. half the price for most services.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page