How to remove flouride from water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is RO the only way to remove flouride from drinking water, or do the tap-placement filters and so on work as well? I've recently come to believe flouride may be at the root of my children's tooth problems, as they look just like the photos of flouridosis I found here. The pitting and staining on the front teeth is exactly like those pictured.

Any info or resources to which you can point me, and any further info you have on flouride is much appreciated. I've already learned a bit here, so thank you.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 PM

http://www.thewaterexchange.net/fluoride-water-filters.htm

I think though, if you use the aluminum, then you have to deal with that as well.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#3 of 21 Old 11-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Yeah, if you use an aluminum filter for fluoride then you MUST be prompt in changing the filters or it will reach capacity and start shedding aluminum in to your water. If I were to purchase a filter again, I would go with a Berkey.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

Or you can see if there is a spring near you:

http://www.findaspring.com/

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#4 of 21 Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 AM

http://www.filterwater.com/ps-93-4-undersink-fluoride-filter-single.aspx

what about these? do they have aluminum in them?

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#5 of 21 Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Yes, as far as I know ALL filters that filter out fluoride are aluminum based.

About the fine-mesh pre-resin media (SIR-900):

"ResinTech SIR-900 is a synthetic aluminum oxide "

http://www.purewaterabode.com/PdfFiles/SIR-900tmp091901.pdf

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#6 of 21 Old 01-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Your choices are:

1) Reverse Osmosis (RO)

2) distillation

3) aluminum filter to remove fluoride - and you definitely want to follow that with a filter that removes aluminum in case it dumps out of the first filter - and you want a carbon filter before the fluoride filter to catch all the other stuff so it doesn't dirty up your fluoride filter.

The basic Berkey does not remove fluoride, and their add-on aluminum filter has no way to post-filter the aluminum out.  My parents tried the aluminum filter on the Berkey and even after rinsing the heck out of that filter as instructed, the water still tasted bitter (that was the aluminum content in the water).  So they use their Berkey without the aluminum filter, and so unfortunately they still have fluoride in their water.

actually there are other options, just not by filtering:

4) purchase spring water

5) purchase distilled water

6) find a spring

7) use well water (and have the water tested - it may well have naturally occurring fluoride, or other bad things in it)

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#7 of 21 Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 PM

Does imported mineral water like pelegrino or gorolstiener have flouride in it?

#8 of 21 Old 01-09-2011, 05:17 PM

zero water filters remove fluoride , they are almost has effective has reverse osmosis

#9 of 21 Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM

The aluminum content post filtration in the Big Berkey is really really small.  If the water tasted bitter, I would think it was some other issue (improperly tightened bolts, etc.)  We have a Big Berkey and we can't taste it at all, and the aluminum content is far less than a lot of things...

[quote]• National brand toothpaste 52.878 ppm aluminum
• Water boiled in an aluminum pan for five minutes: 2.791 ppm aluminum
PF2 after conditioning (5 cycles): .178 ppm aluminum
PF2 after 10 Cycles: .037 ppm aluminum
PF2 after 20 Cycles: .029 ppm aluminum

[/quote]

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/berkey-filter-replacements-c-67/pf-2-arsenic-and-fluoride-water-filters-2-p-188

Quote:

The basic Berkey does not remove fluoride, and their add-on aluminum filter has no way to post-filter the aluminum out.  My parents tried the aluminum filter on the Berkey and even after rinsing the heck out of that filter as instructed, the water still tasted bitter (that was the aluminum content in the water).  So they use their Berkey without the aluminum filter, and so unfortunately they still have fluoride in their water. 

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#10 of 21 Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Seriously?! Zero's 23 cup dispenser is right in my price range! We rent, so unfortunately I'd need a tap-mount or dispenser system. We've got a RO sitting int he basement collecting dust, waiting for when we own a house again... If this is true (I can't find anything on their site specific to removing flouride) I'm on it this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceie View Post

zero water filters remove fluoride , they are almost has effective has reverse osmosis

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#11 of 21 Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

K, then I found it:

Q. Does the ZeroWater filter remove Floride?
A. ZeroWater filters are not certified for the reduction of fluoride however fluoride is an inorganic compound. The TDS meter is designed to detect inorganic compounds. Fluoride levels in water are usually around 2 to 4 ppm, which will show up on the meter as 002 to 004. So when filtered water reads 000 it is not likely that fluoride is present in water.

#12 of 21 Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 PM

fluoride give me migraines and they are gone sense switching to smart water

#13 of 21 Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM

We used to use the zerowater...there's two things to know about it...

-It filters out *everything*.  Good minerals too.  You have to add those back in.

-After about a month, the filter goes bad.  Almost overnight.  And when it does, the water tastes like rotting fish--it's really that bad.  So, always keep an extra filter on hand.  We stopped using the zerowater just because I hated the unexpected drink of nasty water if I forgot to change the filter. :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

K, then I found it:

Q. Does the ZeroWater filter remove Floride?
A. ZeroWater filters are not certified for the reduction of fluoride however fluoride is an inorganic compound. The TDS meter is designed to detect inorganic compounds. Fluoride levels in water are usually around 2 to 4 ppm, which will show up on the meter as 002 to 004. So when filtered water reads 000 it is not likely that fluoride is present in water.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#14 of 21 Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 PM

mine lasts a couple months but yes test the water and change it when it stops testing zero for sure !

#15 of 21 Old 07-13-2012, 01:55 PM

On how long the zero filters last: depends entirely on water quality going in. For example, we moved from WI to FL, and the filters went bad much faster. We think this is b/c the filter had to work a lot harder in FL, where the water's naturally more brackish.
#16 of 21 Old 10-23-2013, 03:35 PM

It's so important to ensure your children get good clean water as it will help to flush whatever other toxins are in the body, rather than putting more in.

It just amazes me that there are proponents to putting Fluoride in our water. Even if we were to say that it does prevent tooth decay, the bottom line is that it shouldn't be put in the water supply. Sell it in stores for people to purchase if they so CHOOSE! Since Fluoride is so great....why stop there? Why not put statins in the water supply to reduce chloesterol, or antidepressants in the water to diminish the possibility of suicide, or why don't we throw in low levels of weed to make us all a bit more relaxed?? lol In the end, Fluoride does not prevent what brushing and caring for your teeth will provide. Because of this nonsense, and because our water supplies are in such great dangers. I've decided the best thing I can do for me and my son is to get a great filter that filters out the widest range of chemicals, efficiently and cost-effectively. 

I've done alot of research on this and I could only find one company's results that I could verify. It's been really hard to find companies that are truly reputable when it comes to their fluoride removal claims. A lot of companies claim NSF accreditation, but one must be very careful about that and know exactly what the certification is for. Most of the time it does not measure how well the filter removes contaminants. 

Just thought I would pass on my findings as I have been researching for myself to ensure we get a quality filter that does what it claims from a reputable company. There is a small company out of New York that I found that has a filtration system (I'm referring to their under the counter 'ultra' version...though they have several other configurations) that removes fluoride, prescription drugs, and even radiation via Zeolite, without using Aluminum. It even raises the alkalinity of the water.

They have an independent test done by a nationwide lab analysis company and I also contacted the lab personally to ensure that this company was reputable and that the lab results were not fabricated......anyhow it all checked out. Anyhow, check out the website as it has lots of interesting articles and info, and contact them if you have questions as I did. I think they have an excellent filter ...good luck. Here is the link, and if you notice their customer reviews are all top notch, the best that I can find..................... http://www.pureeffectfilters.com/#a_aid=Ultrawater

#17 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 PM

By the way, for you new mothers out there....please be aware of the following warning from the CDC and DO NOT use fluoridated tap water for your babies...

Quote:

Fluoride intake from water and other fluoride sources, such as toothpaste and mouthrinses, during the ages when teeth are forming (from birth through age 8) also can result in changes in the appearance of the tooth's surface called dental fluorosis. In the United States, the majority of dental fluorosis is mild and appears as white spots that are barely noticeable and difficult for anyone except a dental health care professional to see.

Recent evidence suggests that mixing powdered or liquid infant formula concentrate with fluoridated water on a regular basis may increase the chance of a child developing the faint, white markings of very mild or mild enamel fluorosis.

http://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/safety/infant_formula.htm

Hence the reason I ended up getting myself a water filter that reduces Fluoride...

edited to cut text to under 100 words, and add link to the rest of the text

#18 of 21 Old 10-26-2013, 07:08 AM

As far as Zero water goes, the whole TDS meter is more of a gimic than anything.  That is really not the best way to test the quality of the water...on a fluoride note, I can't seem to find that this has been posted anywhere.  I tried to post it last night, but its not here so I will try again:

Fluoride intake from water and other fluoride sources, such as toothpaste and mouthrinses, during the ages when teeth are forming (from birth through age 8) also can result in changes in the appearance of the tooth's surface called dental fluorosis. In the United States, the majority of dental fluorosis is mild and appears as white spots that are barely noticeable and difficult for anyone except a dental health care professional to see.

Recent evidence suggests that mixing powdered or liquid infant formula concentrate with fluoridated water on a regular basis may increase the chance of a child developing the faint, white markings of very mild or mild enamel fluorosis.

You can use fluoridated water for preparing infant formula. However, if your child is exclusively consuming infant formula reconstituted with fluoridated water, there may be an increased chance for mild dental fluorosis. To lessen this chance, parents can use low-fluoride bottled water some of the time to mix infant formula; these bottled waters are labeled as de-ionized, purified, demineralized, or distilled.

What is the best source of nutrition for infants?

Breastfeeding is ideal for infants. CDC is committed to increasing breastfeeding throughout the United States and promoting optimal breastfeeding practices. Both babies and mothers gain many benefits from breastfeeding. Breast milk is easy to digest and contains antibodies that can protect infants from bacterial and viral infections. More can be learned about this subject athttp://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/.

If breastfeeding is not possible, several types of formula are available for infant feeding. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to speak with their pediatrician about what type of infant formula is best suited for their child.

Why is there a focus on infant formula as a source of fluoride?

Infant formula manufacturers take steps to assure that infant formula contains low fluoride levels—the products themselves are not the issue. Although formula itself has low amounts of fluoride, if your child is exclusively consuming infant formula reconstituted with fluoridated water, there may be an increased chance for mild dental fluorosis.

Infants consume little other than breast milk or formula during the first 4 to 6 months of life, and continue to have a high intake of liquids during the entire first year. Therefore, proportional to body weight, fluoride intake may be higher for younger or smaller children than for older children, adolescents, or adults.

What types of infant formula may increase the chance of dental fluorosis?

There are three types of formula available in the United States for infant feeding. These are powdered formula, which comes in bulk or single-serve packets, concentrated liquid, and ready-to-feed formula. Ready-to-feed formula contains little fluoride and does not contribute to development of dental fluorosis. Those types of formula that require mixing with water—powdered or liquid concentrates—can be a child's main source of fluoride intake (depending upon the fluoride content of the water source used) and may increase the chance of dental fluorosis.

Can I use optimally fluoridated tap water to mix infant formula?

Yes, you can use fluoridated water for preparing infant formula. However, if your child is exclusively consuming infant formula reconstituted with fluoridated water, there may be an increased chance for mild dental fluorosis. To lessen this chance, parents can use low-fluoride bottled water some of the time to mix infant formula; these bottled waters are labeled as de-ionized, purified, demineralized, or distilled.

How can I find out the level (concentration) of fluoride in my tap water?

The best source of information on fluoride levels in your water system is your local water utility. Other knowledgeable sources may be a local public health authority, dentist, dental hygienist, or physician. CDC's Web site My Water's Fluoride allows consumers in some states to learn the fluoridation status of their water system. Nearly all tap water contains some natural fluoride, but, depending on the water system, the concentration can range from very low (0.2 mg/L fluoride or less) to very high (2.0 mg/L fluoride or higher). Approximately 72% of all public water systems serving about 195 million people adjust the fluoride in their water to the level recommended to prevent tooth decay.

Will using only low fluoride water to mix formula eliminate my child's risk for dental fluorosis?

Using only water with low fluoride levels to mix formula will reduce, but will not eliminate, the risk for dental fluorosis. Children can take in fluoride from other sources during the time that teeth are developing (birth through age 8). These sources include drinking water, foods and beverages processed with fluoridated water, and dental products, such as fluoride toothpaste, that can be swallowed by young children whose swallowing reflex is not fully developed.

Just to be aware of the concerns of using fluoridated tap water.  And you can be assured that their teeth are affect, then so are their bones....

#19 of 21 Old 10-27-2013, 08:35 AM

By the way, if you do need any help, feel free ask as I spent many months researching and might have come across useful info....I'm a bit passionate about this because my son now has discoloured teeth because of the fluoride...

#20 of 21 Old 10-27-2013, 11:44 AM

We buy our water from an RO machine. They have them @ all the grocery stores & gas stations around here. We pay .35/gallon. Fluoride content of municipal water in the US is 0.7 ppm to 1.4 ppm. Nowhere is it 2-4ppm. I wouldn't trust Zero Water if they got that very basic fact wrong.
#21 of 21 Old 08-03-2014, 01:07 AM

Smile this site has doulton filters that remove flouride

this website has filters that remove flouride: http://www.brookwater.co.uk/Water-Filter-Replacements
the doulton ultracarb type of cartridge removes quite a bit & the chlorine removal cartridges will remove it too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page