Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye- anyone try Dr. Ellies complete mouthcare system? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 12-13-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering how many have tried it, and if they feel it was/is successful.

I read about it yesterday, and am starting it today for ds1, 6yo. He has a new cavity (or 3) every time he visits the dentist (a few times a year). They've all been filled but one small one. I just want to prevent more in the future!!

I emailed Dr. Ellie, and she's great- very nice, and seems happy to help with advice and free samples.

I have high hopes for it, along with some other ideas I got from the curing cavities with nutrition thread:
CLO daily (should be easy- he likes it. blech)
digestive enzymes
cal/mag/D supp, plus our usual multi
more bone broths
more leafy greens (will be easy- he likes greens)
use organic butter- the best I can find for him

We probably won't be doing butter oil, because it will be $80 or so for one bottle!! (Unless people tell me it really really works!!)

eta a few links:
http://askdrellie.blogspot.com/search/label/children
http://www.zelliescleanwhiteteeth.com/pdfs/Complete-Mouthcare-System-Guide.pdf

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#2 of 27 Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 PM

I've done the xylitol/ACT rinse off and on with my 6 yo. I haven't figured out if  it helps or not. But I haven't done it consistently. I'm trying to be better about it now. It is too much to have him do 3 rinses so he is just rinsing with Closys after he brushes. Which I know isn't anything like her system but the ACT didn't seem to do much. I figure the Closys will help kill bacteria and raise the pH of his mouth. He goes back to the dentist in April so I can let you know then.

Good luck!

#3 of 27 Old 12-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

lurk.gif

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#4 of 27 Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 AM

Children do not need to do the complete rinse system. Closys helps stop gum disease and ACT builds strength into previously damaged teeth - and also whitens teeth by making the outside harder.

Xylitol is the important component of this system - and everyone in the family should understand what cavities are - and what xylitol can DO. Everyone is probably infected and needs the help that xylitol can offer.

Cavities do not just "happen" they are a bacterial infection - a germ in saliva that sticks to teeth and slowly destroys them. Xylitol makes these germs slippery - so they won't stick on teeth and makes them easier for YOU to clean away with a toothbrush ( need a clean toothbrush!!).

Happy to help - as a mother of five, grandmother and concerned about oral health - let me know if you have other questions. Oral health before the age of 4 is VITAL for your general health. Cavities are preventable.

MommyDOK likes this.
#5 of 27 Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update to say that we started the xylitol and a fluoride rinse (not Act- it's not sold here. I'm trying to get some) the day after I started this thread. A couple days ago, we got Crest, and ds has decided that it's not too "spicy" for him, so he's going to use it too. I'm going to try to keep track of our progress here. He has an appt to have a small cavity filled (the dentist said it wasn't urgent), so we're going to cancel the appt and have a checkup for him in 6ish mos, and see where we are.

We do the fluoride rinse (and he does diluted Listerine sometimes) and floss once a day, and brush twice a day, and I clean the toothbrushes once a day.

I put 1/4 tsp of xylitol in each cup of water ds drinks (he drinks 2-4 a day- it's easier to get him to drink his water with a bit of xylitol in it! It's been a struggle in the past). I also give him 1tsp of xylitol in a bowl that he eats (and sort of swishes around his teeth) through the day. He also gets xylitol gum sometimes, and I ordered some candies- so that's 6g of xylitol at a minimum, and usually 8g or more.

I put 1.5-2tsp of xylitol in 1/2c of water, and swish and spit 5+ times a day until it's gone. I tried to get ds to do the same (spit some of it out) but he's decided against that. lol.

So far, my teeth definitely feel cleaner. I notice a difference in the smoothness from before I swish the xylitol and after.

Ds says that his front teeth are whiter. He had "cavities" (no decay, just the enamel came off) on his front top teeth since he was 18mos old. They have fillings on them, but are noticably yellower than his other teeth. Apparently, kids in his class have asked him why they are yellow. Anyway, I haven't read anything about xylitol making teeth whiter, but I looked at them the other day, and they do seem less yellow. So who knows. Maybe the xylitol is making them smoother, which makes them look shinier and gives the illusion that they are whiter? Regardless, I'm happy that he's happy!

eta- just read the post that says that Act can make teeth whiter- maybe that's what's helping! Either way, yay!

#6 of 27 Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 PM

Anyone tried Oralcryst?

http://www.amazon.com/Oralcryst-Junior-Strawberry/dp/B0031KA3TE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293078818&sr=8-2

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#7 of 27 Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 AM

I've seen the Oralcryst but it seems expensive to me. I usually get the bulk packs of mints (they also come in fruit flavor) from epicdental.com. They also have smaller packs but I have 3 kids so we go through them quickly.

#8 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 01:29 PM

also curious. its very confusing because some people say cavities are solely caused by nutritional deficiency and some, like dr ellie, says its caused by oral environment and improper hygeine.

#9 of 27 Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Foods can build strength into teeth.

Foods can take strength out of teeth and weaken them.

Very acidic foods can even dissolve teeth and make small holes in teeth - but this is erosion - not a cavity.

Cavities are caused by sticky, acid-forming germs - that are spread between people in saliva during kissing or sharing food.

Any carbohydrate or sugary food will feed these germs and make them grow and multiply.

As these germs grow they stick together and form plaque.

As they grow they produce acids which make holes in teeth.

Now the germs can creep up the holes, and dissolve more tooth - deeper and deeper.

Any sugar or carbohydrate - ANY - feeds these germs and makes more acid - inside the surface of the tooth.

Eventually the tooth is so full of holes and acid-forming germs - it falls apart and disintegrates = a cavity.

So it is a combination of germs and foods. The more sugar or acid you feed these germs - the more plaque - and the more damage to teeth.

XYLITOL makes all these germs slippery - so they fall off teeth.

XYLITOL repairs the holes that acids make in teeth - and if you nibble xylitol - teeth can repair themselves.

#10 of 27 Old 01-29-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ds1's molar broke apart last week- a big chunk just fell off. The dentist said it was because we'd used the white fillings instead of silver ones. sigh. He also said that cavities never heal, that you can only halt the decay. That's definitely not what I've read on MDC and elsewhere online. I guess at some point we'll see for ourselves.

But no new cavities for ds1 (and the did x-rays, because his baby teeth are growing in too far apart :( ). It's been 1.5 mos, and at the rate he was getting cavities before, I'm going to tentatively count that as progress.

He's still doing the Crest, listerine (diluted), and fluoride rinse every day. The xylitol, I don't always get all 6g into him, but most days he gets 6g, and some days he gets more. I'm doing it all diligently, too.

#11 of 27 Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 PM

I'm wondering if xylitol in water would be the best way to give it to a toddler.  He's 23 mos and I think too young for gum or a hard candy.  Does anyone know of a candy he could handle?  He'd probably think that was pretty exciting.  lol

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#12 of 27 Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

There are teeny candies, I'd have to look up what they are called. I think they are by spry, though. It would get expensive giving him those exclusively, though. (apparently you need 6g a day to make a difference. I haven't read different dosages for toddlers).

I give ds2 granulated xylitol in water, though. I also have given him Dr. Ellies fruit candies on occasion, which I think are smaller than choking hazard size (about the size of a pea, I'd guess). He doesn't reliably drink much, but I give him sips of really concentrated xylitol water and he likes it. He doesn't get 6g per day, but his teeth are ok so far. It's ds1 that has the problems.

#13 of 27 Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the info!  I have a feeling that my usual health food store here will have a good selection of xylitol candies.  I just never go to that part of the store.  I'll have to check it out tomorrow and also pick up some xylitol for his water.  Normally I just give him little bits of water in a normal cup, but I think if I put it in a straw cup he'll drink a lot more, especially if it's sweet.  He likes the novelty of the straw cup.  I wish there was some way to trade out a straw cup filled with xylitol water for the breast for one or two of those nighttime nursing hours.  lol  Maybe I could rig up one of those fanny packs with the long curly straw.

#14 of 27 Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks!  I think I'll have to get some ZellieBears.  I've been trying to get him to drink xylitol water for two days now and not really getting anywhere.  

#15 of 27 Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 PM

subbing

#16 of 27 Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Hi, not trying to be controversial, but I would skip the fluoride rinse, it's poisonous, and can actually harm teeth.

#17 of 27 Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 AM

I guess for me I am not "sold" on the idea that our oral health or lack thereof is essentially completely related to complex hygiene methods which involve purchasing numerous mouth care products. I have read a few scientific journal article regarding xylitol and some studies found no benefit on caries, some did. Likewise, many studies have found no benefit on ingested flouride via water, on the rates of caries. As a child, I received regular dental care, brushed with flouride tp, flossed, received sealants on my molars, drank fluoridated water etc, and yet I had cavity after cavity.how did ancient peoples maintain good dental health without flouride, xylitol and closys mouthwash? And yes, there is evidence via dental publications, photos, and archaeological findings that people often did not have decay like modern people do. I realize there were people getting cavities a hundred years ago, but entire groups of peoples did not. I'm looking for real explanations, is it simply that once the hundreds of germs associated with caries take hold were doomed?
Momsteader and e_mom_e like this.
#18 of 27 Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Hi! Posts have been removed for advertising or referenced posts that contained advertising. Very sorry for the inconvenience! Please take a moment to review the User Agreement. Please PM me with any questions, thanks!

Back to teeth talk shine.gif

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#19 of 27 Old 02-04-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

Thanks!  I think I'll have to get some ZellieBears.  I've been trying to get him to drink xylitol water for two days now and not really getting anywhere.  

I make a pretty strong mix for myself (1-1.5 tsp in about 1/4c water- I swish and spit), and ds2 likes to drink it. I water it down a little bit for him, but it's still really sweet. That might make it more of a "treat" for your lo, perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2ady View Post

Hi, not trying to be controversial, but I would skip the fluoride rinse, it's poisonous, and can actually harm teeth.

Controversy is a-ok with me :)  It gives me stuff to think about, which is always good :)

I had to think long and hard about the fluoride. I agree that ingested fluoride has more risks than benefits. Our water isn't fluoridated here (though where we lived when ds1 got his first cavities, it WAS fluoridated). Dr. Ellie says that ingested fluoride = bad, too.
I guess, for me, I have to do what seems like it will help. Eating well and reducing sugar hasn't helped. There is a lot of (albeit mainstream) evidence that fluoride helps. And the mainstream medical community can't be wrong about everything. (can they? lol) .

#20 of 27 Old 03-18-2011, 01:38 PM

This thread is very helpful.  We have 6 kiddos and yesterday we had a dentist appointment.  I really want to see if we can heal up the cavities before their next appointment in 3.5 weeks.  I too believe that in the traditional societies we would not have to do all this but I also realize my children's teeth are compromised and I have to work from where we are and not just watch all their teeth rot and fall out as I find an answer.  

Crissi, married to my soulmate and best friend for 13 years. Mama to ds 11, dd 10, dd 8, ds 4, ds 2, dd 9 months
#21 of 27 Old 03-19-2011, 12:06 PM

I found the book very helpful.  I never had a cavity until I was 32 years old when I was pregnant w/ my first.  All of a sudden my teeth went to pot w/ my pregnancies.  Something happens to my saliva and makes it acidic.  I found dr ellie's website on mdc and was so grateful.  Within days, my sensitivity went away. 

I am not advertising for anyone or getting any kickbacks from anyone, but I will say xylitol worked for me and my family.  Xylitol is old.  My bff from Europe told me her grandpa used to chew on bark that had xylitol in it 80 years ago. 

I agree that fluoride ingested is bad.  I have never given my children or myself (in 10 years) water from a tap w/ fluoride in it.  But I do have my children swish w/ ACT and spit out. 

I give my children vitamin d and check their levels once a year, so I know whether they are getting adequate amount.  CLO, has high levels of vit a which compete w/ the vit d. I know many agree w/ WAP, but I have done my own research and do not agree w/ clo.   

#22 of 27 Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyDOK View Post

I found the book very helpful.  I never had a cavity until I was 32 years old when I was pregnant w/ my first.  All of a sudden my teeth went to pot w/ my pregnancies.  Something happens to my saliva and makes it acidic.  I found dr ellie's website on mdc and was so grateful.  Within days, my sensitivity went away. 

I am not advertising for anyone or getting any kickbacks from anyone, but I will say xylitol worked for me and my family.  Xylitol is old.  My bff from Europe told me her grandpa used to chew on bark that had xylitol in it 80 years ago. 

I agree that fluoride ingested is bad.  I have never given my children or myself (in 10 years) water from a tap w/ fluoride in it.  But I do have my children swish w/ ACT and spit out. 

I give my children vitamin d and check their levels once a year, so I know whether they are getting adequate amount.  CLO, has high levels of vit a which compete w/ the vit d. I know many agree w/ WAP, but I have done my own research and do not agree w/ clo.   

do you have an links or want to share why? (just curious)

mama to one '07 and one '09
#23 of 27 Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 AM

Where I live our water is naturally fluoridated.  Not town water that has had fluoride added, but well water that has naturally occurring fluoride.  The region that I live in my state has more naturally occurring fluoride than not.  I know I am certainly not going to switch to all bottled water to avoid it.  Curious how those that do not believe in ingesting any fluoride would feel about drinking and cooking with water like mine.  I am not opposed to fluoride but would not supplement my child as I know she is getting it in our water.

As for xylitol, those looking to use this with young children you can get Spiffies xylitol wipes to scrub their teeth.  I use these when out and about and unable to brush after a meal.  I learned about them from a pediatric dentist.    They have flavors so my DD enjoy using them and likes to take turn wiping her mouth after I do it for her :)

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#24 of 27 Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyDOK View Post

I am all for doing your own research and making your own decisions, and I absolutely agree that there is a lot of controversy around CLO.

For those that may not be super-familiar with the issue, I just want to clarify one thing. Almost all CLOs that you can get these days are heated, thus destroying their naturally imbued vitamins, and then synthetic vitamins are added back in.

This is a very different product from Fermented CLO, which contains all of its own natural nutrients.

I'm not sure if you researched this aspect or if it weighed in on your decision at all, but I know it did weigh in on mine, and I just wanted to point it out :-)

Now, to go check out Dr. Ellie's site...

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

#25 of 27 Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 PM

I posted this in December. I've kept up the xylitol gum and Closys rinse with my son. He saw the dentist today and NO CAVITIES! She said his gums looked great and his new permanent teeth that have come in look really good. DS was very glad because he was understandably worried about going after having 4 cavities filled in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post

I've done the xylitol/ACT rinse off and on with my 6 yo. I haven't figured out if  it helps or not. But I haven't done it consistently. I'm trying to be better about it now. It is too much to have him do 3 rinses so he is just rinsing with Closys after he brushes. Which I know isn't anything like her system but the ACT didn't seem to do much. I figure the Closys will help kill bacteria and raise the pH of his mouth. He goes back to the dentist in April so I can let you know then.

Good luck!

#26 of 27 Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 PM

Dr.ELlie,
Will doing your system continously keep my teeth from falling out?
#27 of 27 Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 AM

For about two years I have put my four children on the xylitol and ACT flouride consistently. A couple of months ago I took them to the dentist. Only one of my children had cavities. They other three did not. It works - consistency is the key to success.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page