Warning: Nursing all night long can lead to cavities - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think that this post is really important and I am really happy to see that someone put it up!  I am an avid supporter of breastfeeding and both of my children are EBF, but my son had MAJOR dental issues and I really wonder what differences could have been made for his teeth had I been willing to consider that maybe breastfeeding all night long-basically sleeping attached to the breast for most of the night-is not the best idea.  

I think that as breastfeeding mothers we deal can feel so defensive about our choice to nurse that maybe we exaggerate the perfect, super powers that are standard with breastfeeding.  There is no question that Breast is Best, obviously, but I think that sometimes the passionate support of breastfeeding that shouts the benefits of nursing gives the impression that mother's can expect that feeding their child the perfect food will yield perfect health, when really breastfeeding is only one of the deciding factors in a child's overall health and development, you still have family history, enviornment, diet, etc.  In many cases that I have read as I researched dental issues, it seems like a child with a predisposition toward tooth decay suffers dental troubles resulting from the night time boobie fests.  Many children don't, but you don't really know how your own situation will turn out until it is kind of too late so I think it is good that we are open about what "can" happen so that people can make informed decisions.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List