Healing tooth decay- are potatoes cariogenic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
/p>I read the book cure tooth decay and while I don't follow the books advice I am curious about some things I read

potatoes and dental health, are they a good and safe sub for grains in regards to being cariogenic or not?

nuts: is there any way they can be a helpful part of our diets if we're trying to have better dental health and prevent cavities? 

i personally don't follow the advice of the book but adjust curious about these two foods and dental health.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well the link posted a dfew threads down by tanyalynn talks about sucess in childrens cavities being cured and they did eat alot of potatoes.

#3 of 9 Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah, I know dr mellanby did rx a diet high in potatos but low in cereal grains, just curious if there is anything written about that..
#4 of 9 Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Yeah I have no idea about the changes and I don't really believe a word the author says as he is a joke. Unless he has research to back him up... I dont want to get into any more here or it will probably be removed.

#5 of 9 Old 01-16-2011, 10:40 AM

What's the argument against nuts?  Is it just the phytic acid issue?  I'd soak them in salt water to reduce the phytic acid, but other than that, they're pretty mineral-dense. 

wholehealthsource.blogspot.com has some discussion of potatoes, he links back to original studies quite well.  Now, mostly the potato discussions weren't about cavities per se, but about general health, but to the extent that there's overlap, it would be applicable.  And if someone is intolerant of potatoes, or they've just got blood sugar issues that mean that carbs need to be limited overall, then potatoes would cause trouble, but that's really for any food that falls into those categories. 

#6 of 9 Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

According to the "living with phytic acid" article on the wapf site, nuts have as much or MORE of this then grains, which if that's true is a major drag, lol. As far as white potatoes go, they apparently have some phytic acid and also oxalic acid but I am not giving up potatoes!
#7 of 9 Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM

Yes, but you wouldn't eat as large a quantity of nuts as you would grains. And if you used, say blanched almond flour for baking, the skin is removed from the nut and that is where most of the phytic acid is.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#8 of 9 Old 02-05-2011, 05:15 PM

What if you were eating a nut butter? Would it be better to get roasted or raw?

#9 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

From that article and other info ive read, raw would be much higher in phytates, roasting does reduce them somewhat. The referenced article states 1 almond flour muffin would have 100 grams phytic acid on average, and that those suffering from tooth decay should aim for less then 150 g a day.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page