Hi. My 2 year old has to have 6 caps, so we decided to do General Anesthesia for her. She will have the oral surgery in the hospital on Friday and came down with a cold today (Wednesday). She doesn't have a fever and at this point just her nose is running. We will meet with her pediatrician tomorrow for her pre-op appointment. Does anyone have any experience with their child having GA while having a cold?
Rule of thumb for us (having been through 7 surguries ) is runny nose, no fever and no broncheal/chest congestion then it is a go.
BUT that being said- make the anesthesiologist aware that they have a runny nose, if the airways are inflamed then they can "react" or spasm they treat this with an inhalation treatment
Went to the pre-op today and the Dr. said to postpone the surgery. I guess her tonsils are swollen, so the airway is smaller. It probably could be still done, but I'd rather error on the safe side, since the Dr. didn't recommend it. I was glad I didn't have to make the final decision. Now I will have to isolate her for the 10 days before the next surgery's date so there will hopefully be no colds. At least she's not in pain right now, so waiting isn't that bad. The next surgery will be next month.
Thanks for your input. At least gave me some peace of mind while she had her cold.
|46 members and 15,904 guests|
|aparent , Boodah'smama , Dakotacakes , Dear_Rosemary , Deborah , Dovenoir , easydoesit , emmy526 , Gabriel Casado , girlspn , greenemami , hillymum , IsaFrench , JHardy , justlizzy , katelove , kathymuggle , Kelleybug , lhargrave89 , Lucee , Lydia08 , mckittre , Michele123 , midnight mom , Mirzam , NaturallyKait , Paige Nicole M , rcb215 , RollerCoasterMama , rubelin , Samanta , samaxtics , shantimama , s͎o͎l͎s͎t͎i͎c͎e͎ , Springshowers , sren , StarsFall , Susan1804 , VsAngela , zebra15 , Zilver , zoeyzoo|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|