What do you think of this paper? Re: dietary carbs causing decay and then disease - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://jdr.sagepub.com/content/88/6/490.full.pdf

In short, the article states that indigenous/ hunter-gatherer diets that were low in carbs produced perfect dental health and health throughout the body. The author states inspiration from Gary taubes.

Many conventionally minded articles and journal reviews ive read do state that all fermentable carbs can cause cavities, but they generally are explaining this action via plaque and bacteria theorem, not as systemically altering the body from the inside out and causing defects. Also, interesting the above referenced article states that many studies have failed to show that it is a specific set of missing nutrients that causes dental decay.

Thoughts?

Edited: also, to just throw a wrench here is an article citing studies which found no causation for sugar in the diet and caries

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/cavities-and-kids.html
#2 of 6 Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 AM

Thanks for sharing!  I am seeing changes in my sons palet drasticly from going grain free so why wouldn't it help with cavities.

#3 of 6 Old 02-04-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

I get that a diet low in phytates from grains can help absorb minerals better, but what I question is how the author asserts it therefore must be a low carb diet. Mellanbys diets were effective in the literature I read but did include desserts, fruits and potatoes. And there are other cultures around the globe who ate/ eat grains and carbs and have good teeth.

What do you think about the second article? I know, it's just a science blog commenting on literature, but still, the study she refers to found no betterment in kids teeth whether they brushed or not, or by how much or little sugar they consumed, and she concludes that the main difference between kids with and without caries was whether they were not poor and their parents could afford sealants?!
#4 of 6 Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 AM

I'm wondering about the sealant thing bc I know so many kids who have had extensive problems before they were old enough to get sealants, and so many of them have trouble with the top front teeth, which I don't think get sealed anyway.  I think they only seal molars, right? My seven year old had a ton of work done at 3 1/2, but no cavities since.  I think the dentist wants to do the sealants on our next visit.  

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#5 of 6 Old 02-04-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Sealants as the one major reason for no caries doesn't make much sense to me either. My son had multiple cavities at age 1.5, before flouride would even have been safe to use, before he really ate food other then breast milk. Clearly, sealants weren't even an option at that age.
#6 of 6 Old 02-05-2011, 03:43 AM

So I took the time to read the second article and I am not too crazy about it.  More speculation on the sealant part especially.

I cannot get the first article to load though- perhaps it is my dial up internet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page