My 4 mo. old tested positive for HEAVY METALS, DC recommends detoxosode metals???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone ever given detoxosode metals to an infant? Is it safe??? I'm super worried about this. I took him to DC first for food allergy/intolerance testing. He's intolerant to:

dairy, soy, eggs, tomatoes, hemp milk, strawberries. rasberries, walnuts, peanuts, pine nuts, chocolate, wheat, etc!!! Went back to DC 12 days later to retest and she found heavy metals. I heard that the babe could get heavy metals from me when I eliminate all of these foods from diet. YIKES! Should have had my metal fillings out years ago!

Any help about the Detoxosode Metals would be soooo. appreciated :)

thank you!

#2 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM

I would be very careful with this.  I don't know what your DC's special training is but you should make sure that you're dealing with someone who does detoxes professionally.  I personally wouldn't be so strict with myself as an adult but heavy metal poisoning is an issue enough on its own in infants.  I would ask around - maybe see a Naturapathic physician or two.  I suggest doing research.

Also, I would just like to add something regarding the food intolerances.  I read somewhere something along the lines of if you tend to have more toxins in your body, you might have more allergies to things.  There's much more to it but maybe you could talk about that with your Dr.  

Here's a website if you'd like to try to find a ND in your area http://www.naturopathic.org/

I hope everything works out and if you wouldn't mind, I would really like to know what you learn about this.

#3 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 PM

I don't know anything about detoxosode...a google search didn't net much, only that it's a homeopathic medication? Maybe? I will be up front here & admit that I'm not a great believer in using homeopathics for very serious conditions. Others may disagree with me on this & fair enough. In any case, whether or not detoxosode is homeopathic, your post had some red flags in it for me. Most worryingly, heavy metal poisoning in a 4 month old infant? I mean, holy crap, that's really serious stuff. Personally, I'd be ripping apart (metaphorically, of course) everything in our environment to figure out how a child, who is presumably only breast or formula fed, has toxic levels of metal in his body. What kind of metal are we talking about? Lead, mercury, what? Also, can I ask what kind of testing was done to give this result? Is it possible that there's some error in the testing process? The thing that gets me is where does a child, who's only been four months on this earth, get heavy metal poisoning? Are you scarfing down 10 cans of tuna a day, and then nursing him? Are you living next to some facility that could be leaching metals in the water, which then gets fed to your son? Is he eating lead-based paint flakes? And what kind of symptoms is he exhibiting that caused the suspicion of metal poisoning in the first place? Because, depending on what type of metal we're talking about, that's pretty severe stuff. 

I honestly don't believe that eliminating that long list of foods could be the cause of metal poisoning. That just doesn't make sense. And the fillings? Well, maybe, but there'd be a LOT of children out there with metal poisoning if that were the case. I think what I'm saying here is that this may be a case that's too serious to be dealt with with alternative modalities (and I'm a fan of alternative modalities, just not for everything). Best of luck, and I hope your LO gets better soon! 

ETA: not meaning to imply you haven't investigated your environment. I was just floored that such a young child could have metal poisoning.

#4 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What is a DC?   

#5 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

Isn't a DC a chiropractor?  And if so, why is your chiropractor testing your infant for heavy metals and allergies?  And whether she is a chiropractor or not, what symptoms did your 4 month old exhibit that gave rise to these concerns?

I like alternative modalities too.  Rescue Remedy makes it possible for my cat to tolerate car rides, my chiropractor does a great job with my back issues, accupuncture helps my wrist pain, and when my kids get sick, I reach for the garlic oil.  But practitioners of any sort who initiate testing and produce long lists of serious issues at the drop of a hat ring my alarm bells.  At 4 mo your little one probably hasn't even started solids yet.  Why is anyone doing allergy testing?  And now, this person is proposing what I bet is an expensive course of homeopathic treatment for problems that she has diagnosed based on you-didn't-say-what concerns in a child who should be too young to show symptoms.  I am highly suspicious.  From my perspective, this practitioner looks like a fraud. 

#6 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticroots View Post

Has anyone ever given detoxosode metals to an infant? Is it safe??? I'm super worried about this. I took him to DC first for food allergy/intolerance testing. He's intolerant to:

dairy, soy, eggs, tomatoes, hemp milk, strawberries. rasberries, walnuts, peanuts, pine nuts, chocolate, wheat, etc!!! Went back to DC 12 days later to retest and she found heavy metals. I heard that the babe could get heavy metals from me when I eliminate all of these foods from diet. YIKES! Should have had my metal fillings out years ago!

Any help about the Detoxosode Metals would be soooo. appreciated :)

thank you!

what kind of testing are we talking here?  Muscle, blood, hair?  I also didn't read that the poster said the child had metal poisoning...just that metals were present.  There is a whole spectrum there.  Many of us do have difficulty to some degree detoxing heavy metals, but that's not the same as being poisoned.

I've never used detoxosodes for an infant.  It's not technically homeopathic.  It's actually quite effective.  In adults.  How much experience does your practitioner have with babies?  They are very different than adults in terms of how they process things.

Eliminating foods *can* allow your body to start detoxing which would mean that your body could be circulating more toxins than it was.  Of course anything that is circulating in the blood can make it into the breastmilk.  That is a possibility.  However simply removing problem foods doesn't mean that will happen.....are you doing anything to support your body at this time in healing?  Removing foods is helpful, but it's a crutch. 

#7 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

what kind of testing are we talking here?  Muscle, blood, hair?  I also didn't read that the poster said the child had metal poisoning...just that metals were present.  There is a whole spectrum there.  Many of us do have difficulty to some degree detoxing heavy metals, but that's not the same as being poisoned.

I've never used detoxosodes for an infant.  It's not technically homeopathic.  It's actually quite effective.  In adults.  How much experience does your practitioner have with babies?  They are very different than adults in terms of how they process things.

Eliminating foods *can* allow your body to start detoxing which would mean that your body could be circulating more toxins than it was.  Of course anything that is circulating in the blood can make it into the breastmilk.  That is a possibility.  However simply removing problem foods doesn't mean that will happen.....are you doing anything to support your body at this time in healing?  Removing foods is helpful, but it's a crutch. 

But if it was just a "normal" amount of metal, would it require treatment? And wouldn't eliminating the cause be a better first step, in any case? 

You seem to be familiar with detoxosodes. What is it/are they? 

#8 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 PM

http://www.hvslabs.com/

I did find this very sparse website from the manufacturers of detoxosode. Perhaps they would send you the practitioner's literature. 

#9 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post

But if it was just a "normal" amount of metal, would it require treatment? And wouldn't eliminating the cause be a better first step, in any case? 

You seem to be familiar with detoxosodes. What is it/are they? 

it may-it really depends on the individual, the stressors they're dealing with and their nutrient status.  there are times in everyone's life where they have diminished capacity for any number of reasons.  in those times it's prudent to offer assistance so their body's can function at their highest capacity.

detoxosodes are homeopathically prepared, but they aren't homeopathic in nature.  they're meant to gently persuade the body to release certain toxins.

#10 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

it may-it really depends on the individual, the stressors they're dealing with and their nutrient status.  there are times in everyone's life where they have diminished capacity for any number of reasons.  in those times it's prudent to offer assistance so their body's can function at their highest capacity.

detoxosodes are homeopathically prepared, but they aren't homeopathic in nature.  they're meant to gently persuade the body to release certain toxins.

What does that mean? Allopathic medicine that has been extremely diluted? Sorry...I'm not even the OP but I'm asking so many questions! I just find this stuff fascinating, and have a real desire to understand :) I wish the HVS website had been more informative. 

And I do agree that sometimes our bodies need help. I would just be extra careful when that body is just four months old.

#11 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

What testing was done to establish that your child had all these food intolerances?  What testing was done to find the heavy metals?  Which heavy metals were found?  How much of them was found?

Heavy metals are scary sounding things, but the human body naturally contains trace amounts of a lot of elements, including lead, arsenic, strontium, lithium and uranium.  These words sound pretty alarming - uranium and my baby?! - but they don't necessarily indicate that there's anything wrong.  You're never going to get rid of these things entirely because they are naturally occurring parts of the chemical composition of a human being.   Before taking any steps to get rid of these elements, determine whether the amount present is abnormal.

It trips my alarm bells that you have seen this DC twice in two weeks, that she has prescribed an elimination diet that will be incredibly difficult to follow, and that she is trying to sell you an expensive and untested treatment for your infant.  In your shoes, I would want to discuss concerns about the baby's health and growth with a pediatrician, and possibly with my county's early intervention program - their staff are well trained in identifying signs of developmental delay in children and infants and they can help you determine whether your child's behaviors or development are a cause for concern.

#12 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

What testing was done to establish that your child had all these food intolerances?  What testing was done to find the heavy metals?  Which heavy metals were found?  How much of them was found?

Heavy metals are scary sounding things, but the human body naturally contains trace amounts of a lot of elements, including lead, arsenic, strontium, lithium and uranium.  These words sound pretty alarming - uranium and my baby?! - but they don't necessarily indicate that there's anything wrong.  You're never going to get rid of these things entirely because they are naturally occurring parts of the chemical composition of a human being.   Before taking any steps to get rid of these elements, determine whether the amount present is abnormal.

It trips my alarm bells that you have seen this DC twice in two weeks, that she has prescribed an elimination diet that will be incredibly difficult to follow, and that she is trying to sell you an expensive and untested treatment for your infant.  In your shoes, I would want to discuss concerns about the baby's health and growth with a pediatrician, and possibly with my county's early intervention program - their staff are well trained in identifying signs of developmental delay in children and infants and they can help you determine whether your child's behaviors or development are a cause for concern.

yes to the bolded...not necessarily to the rest.  metals that aren't circulating aren't an issue to many docs, even when they do cause issues.  I'm a fan of taking care of things before they cause pathology. 

#13 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

Isn't a DC a chiropractor?  And if so, why is your chiropractor testing your infant for heavy metals and allergies?  

That's all I could think of too, but it seemed weird that a chiropractor would be doing those tests. 

And if he/she is, I'd seriously consider reporting him/her to the governing body as that is way out side the scope of chiropractic practice and training :(  

#14 of 18 Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post

That's all I could think of too, but it seemed weird that a chiropractor would be doing those tests. 

And if he/she is, I'd seriously consider reporting him/her to the governing body as that is way out side the scope of chiropractic practice and training :(  

yeahthat.gif

#15 of 18 Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM

Was this a blood test, a hair test, a stool test?

What lab did it?

Why was the test ordered?

Which heavy metals and what levels?

#16 of 18 Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 AM

Hi!! My kinesiologist has recommended the same thing due to high levels of thallium (says it is accumulating in baby from breastfeeding as I have a lot due to smoking for 20 years). I am dying to know whether you used it and your results!

#17 of 18 Old 05-14-2012, 10:14 AM

Breastfed babies should not have anything but breastmilk. 4 months old in that original question, which is quite old.

Kelli, Upstate NY mama, dh FarmBoy, raising 6:, his, mine, and ours.

#18 of 18 Old 05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Banned

If you are worried that your breastmilk may be toxic, use formula.  But most likely if you are not taking medication that is contraindicated for breastfeeding, your breastmilk isn't toxic.  You wouldn't believe a pediatrician who told you that a mom who once smoked shouldn't bf, why would you believe an alternative practitioner who says that? 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page