I have several fillings that are cracked and need to be replaced. Because I'm having thyroid/adrenal issues that are related to mercury, I need to have these replaced sooner rather than later. I have an almost two yr old and a three year old. Does anyone have any insight into getting these removed while breastfeeding. I know it's not the best option, but the only other alternative I see is weaning them, which I really don't want to do!
I can pump and dump for several days but is that sufficient? Is there a web site or protocol to follow before and after. I've heard different things mentioned (vit C, for example) but am looking for something more concrete.
Thanks for any help, mamas!!
that's a tough call - even when done properly, there will be some exposure. Id be very hesitant to do this while breastfeeding. Perhaps you could postpone the removal until you are finished BF?
There is absolutely a protocol to follow. It is very important for you to go to a dentist that knows what he is doing. If your dentist is not farmiliar with these protocols don't let him do it and find another dentist farmiliar with removing mercury amalgams.
Hale (Medications and Mothers' Milk, 2004, p. 528) recommends that "the replacement of amalgam fillings should if possible be postponed until after pregnancy and breastfeeding as the removal of amalgam fillings while breastfeeding could potentially increase the transfer of mercury to the breastfed infant." If replacement of an amalgam filling is necessary, Hale recommends that the dentist take routine precautions when removing the old amalgam: "use copious amounts of cold water irrigation to minimize heat, use a rubber dam to isolate her mouth from the particles, and use an alternate source of air (oxygen) to minimize mercury vapor inhalation."
If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.
IMO, if mom is having health problems due to the mercury, then the kids are at higher risk than most kids, and I am not convinced that the benefits of breastmilk outweigh the negatives of the increase in mercury exposure. My son was 21mos old when I weaned him before I got my amalgams out and I am very glad I did it.
It's not just a short-term issue, getting your amalgams out can change a balance in your body. In the month that followed my removal (safe protocol), I had a lot of systemic changes (without a change in my supps), and even up to 6 months out, I had mood and energy changes that, from my reading (Andy Cutler's writings) are typical in the post amalgam removal time period. It's not a fun thing to consider, and I put off getting my amalgams out for a while because I was hesitant to wean, but for my son, it would've been very bad if he'd still been nursing through that.
thanks so much for the help! So at this point, since we'd like to have more children (and with all the chelating issues) , would it be better to wait until we're finished having children? Or do I have to consider the danger to them from loose mercury fillings? So frustrated at having to make these decisions!!
You can get amalgams replaced with composite without chelating. If they're starting to fall apart, it's probably better to get that taken care of when you plan it, rather than when you're forced into doing something.
For me--I was already chelating my 2 kids, and I'd like to have more kids that I don't have to chelate. And my health was in such shape that I really did need to address it--having more kids was not at all guaranteed given how my health was, and certainly I was not in a place to be a good parent, I felt too bad. Not everyone's in the same boat, but if you're having health issues, getting the amalgams removed soon (so you can do it when it's convenient for you, not, say, in your first trimester) and then working on your health without chelating, but giving yourself some buffer time between having your amalgams out and TTC, could be a reasonable move. I don't know your circumstances, but something to consider.
I have metal issues and I know it. I have 2 kids and had them close. I do want another someday but am waiting so I can be the best mom and give him/her a healthy start. I am totally fine with it but if I only had one kid and wanted another it would be heartbreaking to tell me to wait a few years.
Mama Bear, what did you end up doing about this? I am going through the same thing right now, only my son is 17 months. He will definitely put up a fight if I weaned him. I dont want to traumatize him emotionally either and was wandering what you ended up doing and how you did it? Thanks!
I went through this. I had one amalgam that needed to be replaced. My daughter was just over a year at the time. I was really concerned. I OBSESSED about it. And then I decided to just have it fixed. So it is done. As far as I can tell my dd and myself as just fine. I still don't think amalgam is something to be cavalier about, but sometimes you don't have much choice, or info. I didn't wean, pump or anything.
|16 members and 12,417 guests|
|BirthFree , Elvia Adanarhi , girlspn , JMK74 , joandsarah77 , katelove , MarioFantini , moominmamma , oaksie68 , philomom , rubelin , seap3 , stellanyc , thefragile7393|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.|