Mercury fillings breastfeeding todder, lots of questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am new to the mercury discussion so please bear with me if these have been discussed before.  I used to have four fillings in my mouth when pregnant with my son.  He was born with food sensitivity (gluten, dairy, and corn) but no behavioral issues.  Now I am wondering, are the food sensitivities related to the mercury exposure?

Unfortunately because I didn't know any better, when he was six months old and nursing I removed two of the mercury filling BY A REGULAR DENTIST  :(  I didn't have  a choice to remove them, one of the pieces fell off but I should have gone to a holistic dentist.  Fortunately I did not see a reaction in myself or my child.  When he was about fourteen months another one broke.  This time I knew better and went to a holistic dentist, he removed it as one chunk without drilling into it and told me I would not be exposed to any extra mercury (another holistic dentist confirmed this).  Is this true?  The reason I am asking is because I now need to remove the fourth one (you guessed it, a piece of my tooth broke).  I got all of these when I was 11 and I guess they are wearing out.  The dentist told me he can get it out in one chunk, is it safe to do so and still nurse?  If I do it, how soon after wards can I get pregnant (we are trying now).

Another question, due to the food sensitivities my son now has a leaky gut syndrome.  I am considering getting water grain kefir to help with his digestion.  Will this kill too much bad bacteria in his stomach and cause the mercury that he got from me to mobalize and go to his other organs?  Is this safe for me to take while nursing for the same reason?  Also, I am giving him and myself green coconut milk smoothies every other day, is it safe for us to have this much coconut due to the same reason as above? Is there anything else that we should or should not be doing?  I really appreciate any help, I am feeling very overwhelmed.  I feel like I could be causing more harm when I am trying to fix things.

#2 of 8 Old 02-21-2011, 10:54 AM

i'm in a similar boat as you, mama. lots of fillings, babe with dairy and gluten intollerances, etc. just subbing and hopiong to learn from replies as well. good luck!

#3 of 8 Old 02-22-2011, 04:02 PM

OKay I am not alone!!!!  I just had my second silver filling break!  The first one I did not get fixed for almost three years because I was so scared about doing anything that i did nothingduh.gif.  I have since gone in and had that one replaced with a composite one.  So fast forward one week, the other side fell out!!!!  I had four done teeth filled with silver when I was bfing my third baby.  Now I have no options for a holistic dentist, except 4 hours away, and I have a broken filling leaking.  I am nursing a 3 month old so I really do not want to have the rest of this filling removed and leak stuff into my system.  i heard that homeopathic chlorella helps?  Also Vit C and activated charcoal?  I think the important thing is to get something into his system that can bind the metals so they don't just reput themselves somewhere else?   I feel so lost, any good advice out there would be great!

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#4 of 8 Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 PM

I would probably use homeopathic mercury at a low potency to keep it moving. 

I'd use edible clay over activated charcoal-and a good amount of it too...though you need to work up to it.  I'd probably start with a tsp a day for a week and up it by a teaspoon for another week, then again until I hit a tablespoon. 

Yes, vitamin C and glutathione can help too (glutathione specifically to protect breastmilk.)  I am finding though that clay reduces the need for glutathione so that's another more vociferous vote for clay.

There are good combos out there homeopathically and naturopathically to aid detoxification too-liver support will be key.

#5 of 8 Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamb View Post

Another question, due to the food sensitivities my son now has a leaky gut syndrome.  I am considering getting water grain kefir to help with his digestion.  Will this kill too much bad bacteria in his stomach and cause the mercury that he got from me to mobalize and go to his other organs?  Is this safe for me to take while nursing for the same reason?  Also, I am giving him and myself green coconut milk smoothies every other day, is it safe for us to have this much coconut due to the same reason as above? Is there anything else that we should or should not be doing?  I really appreciate any help, I am feeling very overwhelmed.  I feel like I could be causing more harm when I am trying to fix things.

I don't worry about this too much as long as you have something to mop up the toxins.  what's excreted in the alimentary canal can be adsorbed and absorbed into things like clay and carried out without ever getting back into the bloodstream.  glutathione can support in case anything does, in my opinion.

#6 of 8 Old 02-28-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the replies.  It feels good to know that I am not alone!  I bought both glutathione and Vitamin C and I am going to start taking them tonight.  Are these safe for pregnancy?  I am not pregnant, but we are trying.  Although I am not back to my cycle after breastfeeding for 21 months I am hoping that I am at least ovulating.

Regarding Clay, I have never heard of this before.  Do I get it from a homeopathic store?  Are there any  negative side effects.

#7 of 8 Old 03-01-2011, 05:44 AM

I am really on the edge of how much mer is released during removal. I have merc fillings and I have 2 kids with allergies. I think it is really a deeper issue. Don't blame yourself for the removal. A while ago I actually got some merc removed 2 times while bfeeeding my son and didn't see any harm. We did some supportive things during that time, but nothing to freak out about. I think that if you are doing good with detoxing and taking clay, etc, you could have a boatload of merc in your mouth and have a kid with no intolerances.
#8 of 8 Old 03-01-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think the food intolerances are due to the mercury?  I have always wondered.  I have been so angry at the dentist for drilling mercury out of my mouth with absolutely no safety measures while I was breastfeeding and at myself for not knowing any better.  I did not do anything to detox, I just didn't know.  I have to go get the clay, other than that, the Vitamin C, and glutathione should I be doing anything else?  Should be giving my son anything (he's 21 months).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page