I'd like to see some photos of early/healing cavities in toddlers teeth? Advice? (Progress Update) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

About a month ago I noticed a small brown colored pit in one of DSs (14 mo) top teeth. After a little bit of panic, I kicked into gear trying to heal it.

We are doing:

Brush 2xs a day with pascalite clay.

Spiffie xylitol wipe after lunch/snacks, also one right before nursing to sleep at night.

Packing on a small ball of pascalite directly on the cavity during naptime.

Started Vit D drops today.

Going to start with Cell Salts this weekend.

Right now, all the brown is gone, and it looks like a very shiny grey color. I'm guessing/hoping this is good right? There is also a greyish area on another tooth.

I'm still in a bit of a panic over this. Seeing photos would help me calm down and reassure me that I did not totally screw up and drop the ball with my sons teeth guilty.gif

I'd like to see what an early/minor cavity looks like? All the ones I google look SO horrific and not anything close to what we had going on, but I'm still beating myself up over this.... I'd also love to see any photos of what a healing cavity looks like so I can compare it to what his teeth look like right now.

DS only knows how to go to sleep with nursing. And he still dreamnurses (we bedshare) 1-3 times a night. Not sharing a bed with DS is not an option for us, and I dont see how it would be possible to nightwean him in the same bed, not to mention that at this point in time I think trying to wean him even a little would be very devastating for my little one.

Also, any other suggestions, tips, encouragement is welcome... I just feel awful right now. We are also really struggling with cleaning his teeth because he hates it. I'm trying to make it fun and sing songs and make a game of it, but he is not falling for it. He liked the spiffies at first, and now he fights it and it makes me feel like he thinks I'm being mean.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#2 of 16 Old 02-18-2011, 06:14 AM

Sounds like you are doing good mama. When I get a camera, I will post a pic of my dd's healed cavities- except 2 of them I eventually got filled. They were healed over and the dentist confirmed it, but they were such deep holes that food always got stuck in them and I was always worrying that they would get bad again if I didn't clean them well. My dd's cavities weren't that bad as most online pics show, but pits on 3 of her canines. We never did xylitol but the cell salts were miracles for her Which ones are you doing?
Interesting how my dd only got the cavities AFTER we stopped nursing.
#3 of 16 Old 02-18-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to see a photo of a healed cavity, thank you! I havent had any luck digging one up, but I'd like to compare it to what DSs tooth looks like right now.

The cell salts I'm getting him tmrw are calc phos, calc fluor, and silica. Are these what you used?

I do normally have a huge problem with fluoride, but from my understanding ( please anyone correct me if I am wrong!) the garbage they put in our water and toothpastes etc that is waste from chemical plants is sodium fluoride, and has a different (harmful) effect on the body. I'll admit the idea of giving him fluoride anything makes me cringe a bit, but so far this is looking to be a safe and natural way of healing his teeth.

I would love any more information on the cell salts too if someone would like to add their knowledge, TYIA!!

Also, now that I think about it, I will try to get a good photo of DSs teeth to share as well. Maybe his photo of this stage of healing/decay can help others here.

#4 of 16 Old 02-18-2011, 04:32 PM

Yup we use those salts but also bioplasma. But I have to say that when dd's cavity healed a few years ago, we were only using bio and calc phos. But now we do all the others you listed.
#5 of 16 Old 02-19-2011, 06:19 AM

You mentioned a concern with the manufactured sodium flouride. You can, instead, do a green tea/xylitol rinse. Green tea is a natural source of flouride in pretty high amounts, and it also has other compounds that fight the bad bacteria. I usually make up a pint-sized jar of green tea sweetened with xylitol, and have him rinse with that after brushing. Keep it in the fridge between uses and it will last about a week.

My ds has some decay that came after he had six months of heavy-duty meds after a serious surgery. It's been really really hard to reverse the decay, although I do feel we've stopped it where it is. We do all the good stuff, diet-wise, as well as cell salts. He will be getting dental surgery soon. But he's not a good test case, because the meds could have done something to his enamel.

ETA: I have seen some of the teeth get that grey look that you described. And for my littlest one, I just dip a cloth in the green tea/xylitol rinse, and rub it on his teeth.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#6 of 16 Old 02-19-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

You mentioned a concern with the manufactured sodium flouride. You can, instead, do a green tea/xylitol rinse. Green tea is a natural source of flouride in pretty high amounts, and it also has other compounds that fight the bad bacteria. I usually make up a pint-sized jar of green tea sweetened with xylitol, and have him rinse with that after brushing. Keep it in the fridge between uses and it will last about a week.

My ds has some decay that came after he had six months of heavy-duty meds after a serious surgery. It's been really really hard to reverse the decay, although I do feel we've stopped it where it is. We do all the good stuff, diet-wise, as well as cell salts. He will be getting dental surgery soon. But he's not a good test case, because the meds could have done something to his enamel.

ETA: I have seen some of the teeth get that grey look that you described. And for my littlest one, I just dip a cloth in the green tea/xylitol rinse, and rub it on his teeth.

This is actually what I would love some more input on. I WILL NOT give him sodium fluoride in toothpaste, etc, but I'd love any information on the cell salt calc fluoride, since it seems to be a main one people use in this instance. Did you use the calc fluor cell salts?

Nice to know about green tea, my little guy actually loves it already. My DH drinks a ton of it and shares it with DS sometimes.

#7 of 16 Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Subbing to this, because this is something I'm interested in, and I've already learned something new (the green tea thing)!

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

#8 of 16 Old 02-19-2011, 07:27 PM

calc fluor cell salt is NOT the same thing as ingesting fluoride...quite the opposite.  It's actually used to detoxify fluoride in the system and regulate levels so they are manageable.  While these are nutritional, please don't misunderstand that you are giving them the crude substance.  That is not the case. 

#9 of 16 Old 02-22-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

calc fluor cell salt is NOT the same thing as ingesting fluoride...quite the opposite.  It's actually used to detoxify fluoride in the system and regulate levels so they are manageable.  While these are nutritional, please don't misunderstand that you are giving them the crude substance.  That is not the case. 

THANK YOU for this Panserbjorne! This is exactly the information I was wanting to hear.

Is there any place you can point me to that I can read up on this so I can explain it to my DH too?

Thanks again!

#10 of 16 Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 AM

glad it helped.  You can start with the biochemic handbook to understand what cell salts are.  It's a nice little resource and runs around $3.  You can get it from www.1800homeopathy.com

It's not going to talk about detoxing fluoride (at least I'm fairly sure it doesn't as that's a more clinical application) but it will explain what they are and how they work.  HTH!

#11 of 16 Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

glad it helped.  You can start with the biochemic handbook to understand what cell salts are.  It's a nice little resource and runs around $3.  You can get it from www.1800homeopathy.com

It's not going to talk about detoxing fluoride (at least I'm fairly sure it doesn't as that's a more clinical application) but it will explain what they are and how they work.  HTH!

Mostly my DH would just be happy to hear that the calc fluor cells salts are NOT the same as the fluoride in the water. I will be getting this book for sure. DH and I both could probably use Cell Salts for issues of our own, thanks for the referal =)

In the meantime, what kind of schedule with the salts do you recommend to heal cavities in a 15 mo? We have the Highlands brand, if that makes any kind of a difference. It was the only brand the store we go to had, so I hope they are good? Thanks again for sharing your knowledge on this!

And anyone else that is following this, I am trying to get a photo of DS's teeth, its tricky!!!

#12 of 16 Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 AM

I'd probably do 2 tabs 6 times a day for the first few weeks.  after a month or so I would probably go to 2 tabs 3 times a day for that age.

You can come check out the cell salt thread in H&H for more info.

#13 of 16 Old 07-17-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Here is our healing update!

Healing was going AMAZING, until I slipped up. We ran out of spiffies, and cell salts, and I was lax on getting them again because we had so many other things going on around here. Huge mistake. His cavites came back, and even worse. Now we have 4, instead of only 2, and they were a darker brown color that the original 2. Big fail on my part, I will NOT make the mistake of letting up on this again.

We have been back on our schedule now for a few weeks, and there is major improvement. I think we are seeing improvement much faster this time than the first time we started all this. I have also slightly modified our routine.

Brush in morning after breakfast w pascalite

spiffy before nap/after snacks

pascalite on teeth during nap

bought DS a second toothbrush, in a different color and shape than the one I use to brush his teeth with. He HATES the one I use to brush his teeth, but he loves this second one. The second one he gets to use himself. I put some xylitol gel on it, and let him scrub on his own teeth after his nap.

Cell salts #1 #2 & #12 six times a day

before bedtime, brush with pascalite, and spiffy

he is still nightnursing btw

I still have not been able to get a photo. I want to really bad soon, because I can see color changes in his cavities on almost a daily basis.... they are no longer a dark brown, but a lighter greyish/brown. They WERE back to white before my slip up. Man, he does NOT want me taking a photo though! I promise to everyone that has followed this, I am trying my best to get some photos!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

#14 of 16 Old 07-31-2011, 06:11 AM

My dd, 3.5 years, has dark brown pits in her back molars.  This prompted me to bring her to the dentist for the first time.  I was told she needed baby root canals and metal crowns.  I *really* don't want the metal in her mouth, not to mention for her to have to go through the work.  I would like to try healing them, but thought at this point they were too far gone.  But I have hope hearing your story.

On a side note, she is allergic and/or intolerant of gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, peas and peanuts.  My 5 yr old son, who is only allergic to peanuts, has zero cavities.  And my 9 yr old dd, who I believe has a host of food intolerances I have not been able to figure out had 8 cavities.  She is also underweight.  I believe that my girls do not absorb things from their food they way they should. 

They all night nursed, and my 3.5 yr old continues to do so.

Thanks,

Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#15 of 16 Old 07-31-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post

My dd, 3.5 years, has dark brown pits in her back molars.  This prompted me to bring her to the dentist for the first time.  I was told she needed baby root canals and metal crowns.  I *really* don't want the metal in her mouth, not to mention for her to have to go through the work.  I would like to try healing them, but thought at this point they were too far gone.  But I have hope hearing your story.

On a side note, she is allergic and/or intolerant of gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, peas and peanuts.  My 5 yr old son, who is only allergic to peanuts, has zero cavities.  And my 9 yr old dd, who I believe has a host of food intolerances I have not been able to figure out had 8 cavities.  She is also underweight.  I believe that my girls do not absorb things from their food they way they should. 

They all night nursed, and my 3.5 yr old continues to do so.

Thanks,

Tracy

I am so sorry to hear this Mama =( Its very hard and sad to deal with, I know!

I'm not sure how far along your DDs cavities are, but I will tell you that I have a friend who was also trying to heal her DDs cavities, but could not get it under control. so theyre are going to have them filled. I think some of the little ones respond well to healing, and some do not, and you cant beat yourself up over it if you really do need to have them filled Mama. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do with your DD!

One thing I'll tell you, if you are planning to try and heal using Xylitol, a lot of Xylitol is made in China using GMO corn. If your DD has a corn allergy, Try to find Xylitol products that are made from Birch sap =)

From what I have read so far on this, (and I try to dig up as much as I can find!) breastmilk at night only poses a problem if the teeth are not clean. If the teeth are clean of food and the s.mutans bacteria, the breastmilk actually helps remineralize the teeth. Which is why I scrub his teeth with a spiffie before a nap, and I brush and use xylitol again at night before we nurse to sleep.

Do you have a holistic Dentist in your area that you could go to? We found one that supports healing, and depending on how it goes in the next few weeks, we may start ozone therapy on his cavities.Also, I would not personally go to a Dentist that still uses mercury fillings, especially for a LO, but everyone feels differently about this issue.

Have you had someone look into the possible nutrient absorbtion that you are worried about? Vitamin D absorbtion is critical for the teeth healing process as well.

I wish you all the best Mama, keep us updated on what goes on with your DD hug2.gif

#16 of 16 Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 PM

I just noticed a spot started on of my sons front teeth. I too am looking for encouraging photos. :(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page