If you succeeded in healing cavities/remineralizing/arresting caries in your kids' milk teeth, what did the teeth look like? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 08-19-2011, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So mittens, you are vegetarian but letting your son eat FCLO if needed, and that is what is important. If you find an alternative that is great, but if all that works for your kid is fish, then go for it.

Was someone mentioning bone broth as a tough thing to do in this thread? If so, I highly recommend nettles infusions as a plant source of usable minerals.
#32 of 41 Old 08-19-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

So mittens, you are vegetarian but letting your son eat FCLO if needed, and that is what is important. If you find an alternative that is great, but if all that works for your kid is fish, then go for it.

Was someone mentioning bone broth as a tough thing to do in this thread? If so, I highly recommend nettles infusions as a plant source of usable minerals.

Yes, but that is something we only started after the teeth started decaying. I have since read about the benefits, and we are all using it now. But then, we are not vegetarians for reasons of principle - I grew up veggie, and stayed that way out of habit. I actually intensely dislike the taste of meat (I tried as a teenager). 

Nettles, yes! They are especially great during pregnancy for all the goodness in them. I drink them as tea. 

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#33 of 41 Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracemamma View Post

Thanks koalamom!

Yes thehousewife- I feel the same sometimes. My own family came with me to our dentist appt. last week and their jaws literally dropped when they learned that 2 yr old DD has 8 cavities.  Her brown decay is WAY better but it still blows my mind that it got to this stage and of course we blame ourselves.  We also are eating what I consider to be a very healthy diet with almost no processed sugars, minimal watered down juice etc. After 20 years as a vegetarian, I am planning on adding in fish because of this issue.  just cant stomach the idea of bone broth just yet!!

Just checked your links and these are precisely what we are using. They taste good and my DD likes them. She asks for extras so no difficulty there! (Nothing like the cod liver oil we are REALLY struggling with as per my own thread asking for help!)

With the pascalite, we brush with this and xylitol depending on how we organize for the day and then before nap I mix some of the pascalite powder with water to form a firm but still speadable paste and put it on her teeth that need help.  Sometimes she isnt interested but we make a game of it in the evenings.  first we brush, then she and I both get pascalite powder in our hands and she uses her finger to put in on her teeth and mine if she wishes ( a bit like playing in the dirt= fun). Then I make the paste with pascalite and water and put it on the front and backs of her front four and on her molars.  I explain that it is happy teeth powder and it seems to work well. 

Good luck. I really really hope this helps your DC. Wishing everyone happy, healthy teeth!

Awesome, thank you so much!

I just got my daughter the following cod liver oil and she LOVES it! Peppermint flavored.  She always struggled with taking cod liver oil in the past but she seems to really like this one, so that is helping!

http://livesuperfoods.com/natural-supplements/fish-butter-oils/blue-ice-raw-emulsified-fermented-cod-liver-oil.html?options=cart

I also got the high vitamin butter oil to go with it (per Weston A Price suggestion)  and she seems to like this one much better than the last one I bought.

http://livesuperfoods.com/natural-supplements/fish-butter-oils/x-factor-high-vitamin-butter-oil.html

Let me know how this goes for you!!!!!!

Mom to a wild girl born via waterbirth [7-27-2007] Planning our 1st [8-24-10]
Editor-In-Chief of The Fashionable Housewife - www.thefashionablehousewife.com
#34 of 41 Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 PM

thank you for the peppermint flavored CLO recommendation! We will try this! I wish someone at Green Pastures had mentioned this when I was trying to figure out what a toddler would take! Will get the butter oil too. Thanks again.

#35 of 41 Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM

I'm just joining the conversation now with a 3.5 year old with early signs of decay, confirmed by trusted dentist, in the top 2 front teeth, where they meet. 

Our routine - brushing with fluoride and flossing with a xylitol floss 2x/day, sesame oil swish and spit after flossing, swishing with water after snacks and meals, CLO, raw milk, bone broth, vit D drops, xylitol spray,  and a teesy dab of fluoride on the decay at bedtime, and a relatively primal diet - eliminating processed grains is the biggest challenge, but we have at least moved on to sprouted grains. Zero processed sugar, almost zero "unprocessed" sweeteners, and even light on the whole fruits.

Would certainly be open to the clay, just not sure if he'd accept it, and I know he'd wake if I applied it after sleep.

Definitely interested in the alkalinizing stuff from uncleharry's - my son is really into swishing, and hates mint, so the unflavored one might go over fine.

Koalamom and others who answered "yes" to the Housewife's question about did you see healing, my sciencey brain needs to ask a follow up question. Did your trusted dentists agree that healing/ remineralization had occurred?

Cell salts question - can these be found without sweetener - I guess it's usually lactose with homeopathics? I just don't see the value of adding more sweets to his taste buds, never mind the teeth.

And what is up with all the dental-shame??? Husband and I are both struggling with it right now too and I see from your posts that we are not alone. I wonder why we're all so vulnerable to the self-judging feelings in this area... Don't want to hijack, just curious (and suffering.)

Thanks.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#36 of 41 Old 09-13-2011, 09:06 PM

Your post was a bit hard to read for me at least due to some formatting things but I do hope you have good results with what you are trying.  Just thought Id reply on the dental shame. I think it is such an obvious indication of health and care that, particularly for those who are working so hard to raise healthy, happy kiddos- this glaring brown stained example of not getting it right feels like failure- at least to me at times.  Particularly when EVERYONE I know and talk to says, this cant be right! She's two! Ive never heard of this before! Etc. and then invariably the blame goes to the parents (Mom) for diet, brushing etc. I am trying to be as mellow as possible about it while doing the absolute best I can for my daughter (including eating fish for the firsttime in 20 years!!) and most of what everyone else here is doing. 

I think also, at least in our case, it is really hard having a kid whose teeth are soooo sensitive! We had some homemade cupcakes with agave syrup for a couple of DD birthday celebrations, some fruit sweetened soda and within days, her brown stains were back and a piece of one of her front teeth (about 1/4 of it) broke off and came out. Yikes!  We already have so many allergies to accommodate forher that this has been a hard adjustment. But there really is no choice, is there?  Doing the very best we can fro their health and their teeth is what parents are for.

Good luck.

#37 of 41 Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 AM

Oy golly, what is up with that formatting thing??? Don't anyone try to twist their brain reading it (but thanks gracemama!), I'll take some time later and try to repost! yowza!

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#38 of 41 Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 AM

Trying again!

I'm just joining the conversation now with a 3.5 year old with early signs of decay, confirmed by trusted dentist, in the top 2 front teeth, where they meet.

Our routine - brushing with fluoride and flossing with a xylitol floss 2x/day, sesame oil swish and spit after flossing, swishing with water after snacks and meals, CLO, raw milk, bone broth, vit D drops, xylitol spray,  and a teesy dab of fluoride on the decay at bedtime, and a relatively primal diet - eliminating processed grains is the biggest challenge, but we have at least moved on to sprouted grains. Zero processed sugar, almost zero "unprocessed" sweeteners, and even light on the whole fruits.

Would certainly be open to the clay, just not sure if he'd accept it, and I know he'd wake if I applied it after sleep.

Definitely interested in the alkalinizing stuff from uncleharry's - my son is really into swishing, and hates mint, so the unflavored one might go over fine.

Koalamom and others who answered "yes" to the Housewife's question about did you see healing, my sciencey brain needs to ask a follow up question. Did your trusted dentists agree that healing/ remineralization had occurred?

Cell salts question - can these be found without sweetener</strong> - I guess it's usually lactose with homeopathics? I just don't see the value of adding more sweets to his taste buds, never mind the teeth.

And what is up with all the dental-shame??? Husband and I are both struggling with it right now too and I see from your posts that we are not alone. I wonder why we're all so vulnerable to the self-judging feelings in this area... Don't want to hijack, just curious (and suffering.)

Thanks.

#39 of 41 Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post

I

Cell salts question - can these be found without sweetener - I guess it's usually lactose with homeopathics? I just don't see the value of adding more sweets to his taste buds, never mind the teeth.

My dentist confirmed as did my kid's dentist (two separate guys.)

There is lactose or sucrose in the salts, but that does not bother me.  I also put them in water so you don't get a huge "sugar taste."  But you can get them in alcohol rather than sugar.

#40 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 07:11 PM
ere

To parents who are working to remineralize their children's teeth: Have any of you been working with supportive dentists who help monitor the progress or arrest of the decay? Have you used x-rays to monitor progress?

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find pictures that will show me how the appearance of the teeth changes during remineralization. Does anyone have any links to pictures?

#41 of 41 Old 11-21-2011, 01:53 PM

Is calcium flouride the same thing as regular old flouride? I wouldn't put that toxic crud anywhere near my child. It doesn't help teeth at all. Might as well coat with mercury. it's about the same safe wise. yuck!

You own saliva is what helps remineralize. If you use a toothpaste with glycerin or anything that "coats" the teeth all day you are preventing them from healing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page