Are black spots on front teeth ok? Dentist says so! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-01-2004, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have just come back from the dentist and he says that the black spots on dd's top front teeth are nothing to worry about. He mentioned that it was a natural defect! DD also has dents in her teeth under the black spots that run all the way to the bottom of her tooth. They have been there for about a month and a half and have grown darker and more noticable.

She did have demineralization of her teeth (white blotchy marks) but I can't notice them anymore since I have been giving her supplements and feeding her tons of good stuff. Can remineralization happen so fast? I mean as soon as I noticed the black spots I started feeding her herbs/vitamins/mineral rich foods.

The dentist looked in her mouth for about 2min and said her teeth are not soft and to see him in 6 months. He did not ask us any questions and he was not very talkative. I was kind of stunned and did not have an opportunity to ask anymore questions because he left the office. Good thing that we were not charged for the visit because it was so short.

I don't know what to think. I did make another appointment with another dentist for a second opinion but they are booking new patients into May and June.

Can black spots be natural defects in teeth? I was so certain that I was going to have to go through some dental trauma. I am happy that the dentist said everything is ok. I am just worried that if it is decay, that it will spread and will cause her pain and more dental problems in the future if it is not treated.

I would appreciate any imput.
#2 of 2 Old 04-01-2004, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I really don't know if black spots can be a natural thing or not in some cases, but personally I would definitely get a second opinion. My daughter had black spots on her teeth, but the dentist told us to wait until she was three to come for a visit. Well, she ended up needing 5 fillings and a crown. Needless to say, we ditched that dentist and went to a pediatric dentist to get the work done.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page