Sensitivity after composite/ceramic fillings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-04-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have recently been having a lot of dental work done after going 15 years without seeing a dentist (severe phobia...I bawled on the poor kid at my first visit b/c I was so terrified lol).  One of the teeth that I had work on (bottom left side) had a really bad cavity in it, right on the edge of needing a root canal.  It has a composite/ceramic filling, as does the tooth next to it which was filled at the same time.  I also had the same teeth on the top filled and so far two teeth on the other side of my mouth. 

Anyway...I was told that getting composite fillings can cause a lot of sensitivity for a week or two after the filling is done.  For some reason this one tooth is STILL very sensitive, to the point where I can barely chew on that side.  Anything harder than water makes it hurt.  lol  All my other teeth that have been filled are perfectly fine, though.  What I've read is that it should only take a couple weeks for the sensitivity to go away.  I asked my dentist about it the last time I was there about a week and a half ago, and he said to give it another couple weeks and if it isn't better he would take a look at it. 

The problem is, I am getting my work done at a dental school.  They are currently on spring break until the 14th.  We are moving out of state on the 16th.  I'm keeping my dentist for the time being and will finish the work with him on our trips back to this town for various things.  I tried to get one last visit in with my dentist before we left but he is full.  My next visit isn't until April 15th.  I don't know if I can go that long with my tooth hurting this bad. 

My question is...has anyone experienced this before?  Is it normal for it to hurt this bad so long after it was done?  It's been almost a month since it was done...on Feb 14th.  What should I do?  I can't even call them and ask b/c no one is there due to spring break.  :( 

ETA - This tooth had no pain before the filling was done, even the dr was surprised.  The pain is only when I chew on food, it doesn't hurt to bite down on it normally.  It has some temperature sensitivity, but minimal. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#2 of 3 Old 03-05-2011, 12:00 AM

I just wanted to give you a hug :hug

I was in severe pain and the dentist didn't know why so took out a huge filling and replaced it with a white one. Well I was eating fine but now I can't bite down AT ALL. It's been a month too since I got it. Ended up the pain was from an infection so penicillin helped that but now this dang tooth hurts and I'm learning to gnaw and swallow bananas whole virtually. I'm so sick of luke warm soup too!  I think I need a root canal and crown but the dentist also wants to wait it out. She thinks it's bruised. I've seen 4 different dentists now (emergency appts so it's whoever is available)... oh and I also sniffle at appointments and it takes everything not to cry. I hate it there so bad. I need a wisdom tooth extracted and its an hour away to their oral surgeon! They're like just take valium but I don't work like that. An hour of driving time with my anxiety... i can imagine my head imploding. Hot water bottles feel good but I hear they spread infection. Hot showers helped. I mean I was in maddening pain but now I just can't eat or touch my tooth :( Well and my jaw is still sore. I'm not sure I'm buying this bruised thing but I also am scared of a root canal (not to mention the $2k). I had this horrible feeling he was messing with the wrong tooth now I'm talking funny and I hurt. I also had a cracked tooth. But the tooth IS pretty lol. I hate silver fillings.

#3 of 3 Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 AM

I'm in the UK and only have 2 white fillings (the rest are metal, which is what you get for by default unless you want to pay extra).  I use a "sensitive" toothpaste because of the pain i had.  I use one of the newer ones, the colgate one, because the older ones didn't make any difference.

AFAIK there can be 2 issues.  One is that the tooth is still sensitive and the filling will settle down (this was the case with me, but it took, no joke, about 5 months for the pain to completely go, and it is still heat-cold sensitive if i take a week or 3 off my sensitive toothpaste) the other that is the gap has been underfilled.  The filling is "set" with UV and it shrinks during that process, so if too little was put in it can be pulling on the edges of the cavity it's filling and putting uneven stresses on the tooth during chewing, causing the pain.  Only a dentist can really assess the difference, so i would try to see them if at all possible.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page