4 yo DS has tooth pain that is preventing from eating, where do I start with healing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It started a few days ago, he had a big piece of food stuck between two molars that we flossed out and figured that he would feel better after a few hours.  Not so!  Since last week DS has had a horrible time trying to eat, which is not something he likes to do to begin with.  Now it seems that he is in pain on both sides.  We're going to the dentist tomorrow to see what's going on but the thought of his having any dental work is not appealing.  I've been reading through some of the threads and there is some great info but it's going to take me some time to understand all of the options.  It's so hard to see him in so much pain.

Can anyone suggest where to begin today to start the healing and offer some relief?

A little background... DS had a dairy and egg intolerance from birth that required that I eliminate both from my diet completely.  He has never been a "good" eater, he has always been very low on those pesky weight charts.  The list of foods that he is willing to eat has shrunk even more in the last few months and does not include many veggies.  If he had his way he would eat some variation on cheese and wheat at every meal. He nursed A LOT until 26 months and still has a pacifier bag.gif.  He has some decay on both front teeth, on the back side, that is dark.  We took him to our dentist last year who said that it was no big deal, these are baby teeth and it's important that he get comfort from the pacifier if he needs it.

#2 of 5 Old 03-06-2011, 11:16 AM

My DD had a cavity when she was around 4 or 5 that started that way.  The food was stuck in that spot for quite a while, though.  DH had been flossing instead of me, and even though it was a known tough spot, he just gave up on in instead of getting it cleaned out.  irked.gif  There could be more food stuck in there or it could have been stuck for longer than you thought...I wouldn't think that food stuck for less than a day would cause long term damage.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#3 of 5 Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, MovingMomma, I think the food was in there for at least a few days, probably about a week.  Now that we've really checked out those molars I see that the teeth are strangely formed and prone to collecting food.  Did you do anything for the cavity?

#4 of 5 Old 03-06-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenine View Post

It started a few days ago, he had a big piece of food stuck between two molars that we flossed out and figured that he would feel better after a few hours.  Not so!  Since last week DS has had a horrible time trying to eat, which is not something he likes to do to begin with.  Now it seems that he is in pain on both sides.  We're going to the dentist tomorrow to see what's going on but the thought of his having any dental work is not appealing.  I've been reading through some of the threads and there is some great info but it's going to take me some time to understand all of the options.  It's so hard to see him in so much pain.

Can anyone suggest where to begin today to start the healing and offer some relief?

A little background... DS had a dairy and egg intolerance from birth that required that I eliminate both from my diet completely.  He has never been a "good" eater, he has always been very low on those pesky weight charts.  The list of foods that he is willing to eat has shrunk even more in the last few months and does not include many veggies.  If he had his way he would eat some variation on cheese and wheat at every meal. He nursed A LOT until 26 months and still has a pacifier bag.gif.  He has some decay on both front teeth, on the back side, that is dark.  We took him to our dentist last year who said that it was no big deal, these are baby teeth and it's important that he get comfort from the pacifier if he needs it.

Maybe doing salt water rinses would help ease the pain? Although that is if you can get him to do it, it's kind of yucky! I hear you on not wanting him to have dental work, who would? But if he is in pain, you might not have much choice. If there is an infection (which there might be, my son had a bad cavity and had no pain), you will want to get it taken care of fast so it doesn't spread.

How old is he? My kids' dentist said to ditch the paci by age 3 or it can start to have a permanent effect on their jaw or something.

I hope things go well at the dentist!

#5 of 5 Old 03-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenine View Post

Yeah, MovingMomma, I think the food was in there for at least a few days, probably about a week.  Now that we've really checked out those molars I see that the teeth are strangely formed and prone to collecting food.  Did you do anything for the cavity?

We had it filled.  It was quite large and clearly visible even though it was between the teeth, and in the 2nd pre-molar, which they'll have until 10-12.

And hers was a very tight fit between the two teeth with a gap near the gums.  It was very difficult to floss.  It's easier to floss since the filling.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page