6 year olds adult teeth coming in behind baby teeth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was just helping my 6 year old brush his teeth and noticed his bottom front adult tooth is coming in behind the baby teeth.  He hasn't lost any teeth yet, but the one where this tooth should have come in has been lose for about 1.5 months now.  I guess I will encourage him to get wiggling it.  I googled this and learned it isn't that uncommon and sometimes the dentist will need to pull the baby teeth and sometimes doesn't need to.  I'm not concerned about that, but am concerned about him having very crooked teeth.  This tooth is turned sideways slightly and clearly is too big to fit in the spot where the baby tooth is even if it had come in correctly.  I know my niece who is 13 is still waiting one more year before her orthodontist thinks her mouth is big enough to put braces on to fix her teeth and her teeth aren't too bad to start with.  That's a long time to wait to get his teeth fixed!!!

#2 of 5 Old 03-08-2011, 07:32 AM

I, personally, would go see a dentist. I had 4 teeth pulled in kindergarten because my adult teeth were coming in like crazy, and FWIW, in spite of that and several other procedures/surgeries before I turned 6 (I had extra teeth, etc.), I managed to make it without braces! Granted, my personal experience doesn't provide really great advice; but I do know that if he has one tooth coming in already, there could be more right below the surface that are getting pushed out of place. If he's never been to the dentist or had an x-ray done, and if you're having concerns, I, personally, would get professional insight so that I could make the best decisions possible. smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 5 Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Mosaic!!!  That is exactly what I wanted to hear.  So your teeth shifted forward once the baby teeth were pulled??

DS was just at the dentist in November and now we have no benefits (lost them a few weeks ago).  So, I was debating whether it was worth paying out of pocket to see the dentist.  I think it is fairly cheap to get a tooth pulled.

#4 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 AM

I would ask them, it might be more than you think. That's how everything seems to be! My DD had 2 baby teeth pulled and even with insurance, I am pretty sure it was around $100. I'm never exactly sure how much our insurance pays though. Those were also molars so maybe they cost more.

FWW, my son had the same thing with his bottom front teeth. The dentist gave him a few weeks to get them out. I told DS I'd give him $5 if he could pull them out himself. That seemed to have motivated him and he got them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerdylan View Post

Thank you Mosaic!!!  That is exactly what I wanted to hear.  So your teeth shifted forward once the baby teeth were pulled??

DS was just at the dentist in November and now we have no benefits (lost them a few weeks ago).  So, I was debating whether it was worth paying out of pocket to see the dentist.  I think it is fairly cheap to get a tooth pulled.

#5 of 5 Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM

My 7 year old's bottom teeth are also coming in behind her baby teeth.  It looks weird and made me nervous, but our dentist said not to worry about it.  

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page