Decay in very young children and toddlers...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DP had decay bad enough that he had dental surgery (GA for extractions and fillings) twice before his 4th birthday.  I didn't get a filling until i was 7 and it was because i chipped the side off a molar so the dentist filled it in to prevent decay.  I do have 4 fillings for decay now though (and one extraction due to it, i'm 30).

My DD1 is 5 this week and she has no decay at all.  I have brushed her teeth with flouride toothpaste (please no debate on this, i'm well-researched) always once, sometimes twice a day since they erupted.  She had only formula in bottles and no bottles after 12months, she has juice rarely and only with meals when she does have it, we limit sweets to mealtimes.  Her worst dental habit is chewing ice which she seems to have lost her eagerness for of late.  She is a thumb-sucker and while i know this might not be ideal for alignment, it does make a lot of saliva, which is protective for the teeth.

But now with DD2 (who just got her first 2 teeth together last week) i am concerned.  I'm faily sure DP's parents took no care over his teeth (they both had false teeth before they had him when they were 35yo as they'd so much damage due to decay (which sounds extreme but is not rare for this city and their generation)) and "tips" from MIL like "put jam on the dummy and she'll suck it" and "boiled sweets kept mine quiet"  and "he liked soda in his bottle when he was 3!" make me think that is primarily why he had bad teeth (he's cared for them as an adult and has no more issues than i have).  Still i am concerned, is tooth decay genetic?  If i do what i did for DD1 are DD2's teeth likely to fare the same?  DD2 doesn't thumb-suck and BFing is working out much better this time around, so she doesn't have bottles, does drink after i've brushed her teeth, and doesn't have all that protective saliva going about...

So i guess i want to know, are there kids out there who follow a similar type dental regime (if you can call it that!) and still get decay...?  I read a lot of kids on here having decay at 14+ months, and i read what those families eat on other threads (very healthful, nutritious diets) and think, oh no, is this going to be enough to protect her from decay?

User Tag List