How can there be puss with antibiotics?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My lower right molar.. underneath it I guess I have an abscess and possible no jaw bone. Anyway.. this is my second round of antibiotics. It's lanced so I squeeze it twice a day to get any puss out. I'm taking Pennicillin. I thought I was getting better. Hardly any puss at all coming out of the hole. Well today my teeth felt tight so I squeezed and heard/felt a "pop" and a ton of puss came out :(  How can I be on so many antibiotics and still have puss coming out?!?!

I started out in severe crying pain. I could eat chew just fine. Dentist didn't  know what was wrong so removed a large mercury filling and said he did a super deep filling (white) that would prep it for a crown. Now that tooth was way too high and two months later and 2 shavings later it's still too high. And still infected. I also feel due to my insurance they are not offering me proper care. (my ins doesn't cover root canals or crowns). I also had a split tooth fixed that was two tooths down that first day.

Will removing the tooth make the puss go away? Should I get a root canal and pay I don't know 1500$? out of pocket (ouch). I guess I don't understand how can there SILL be puss.. and if its in the gum under the tooth how will removing the tooth fix it anyway? I picture a hole in my mouth and still puss trapped forever in there.

I'm out of penicilin tonight so I suspect I'll be in pain again very soon like last time. This has been going on for what feels like 2months.

I do have a consult with an oral surgeon Monday for removing some wisdom teeth and was thinking maybe he would have an opinion. I'm pretty scared.

Is it possible I'm on the wrong antibiotic?

what to do... :(

#2 of 3 Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i should say deteriorated jaw bone, though at peek infection pain my jaw feels like mush. And i bought a waterpic but i think it makes things worse

#3 of 3 Old 04-15-2011, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Yep, I think you probably are on the wrong antibiotic regime. For most (probably all) dental infections you need antibiotics which will treat both anaerobes and non-anaerobes. Most dental infections are caused by a mixture of different bacteria and anaerobes are usually the predominant ones. Penicillin on it's own is not the correct treatment for a dental infection.

I imagine the oral surgeon will have an opinion. Ask him if he will prescribe the proper antibiotics for you. Generally the tooth won't be removed while there is an active infection. But, once you have the proper antibiotics and it has cleared up, removing the tooth or filling the cavity will help to prevent further infections in the same spot. The decay allows bacteria to enter and provides a nice sheltered spot for it to multiply and cause an infection.. Removing the tooth or filling the hole, removes that portal.

All the best. Dental abcesses are horrible!

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page