Tell me about your dental under ga experience - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 25 month old is having extensive dental work done under general anesthesia next week. I am confident this is necessary. I am still scared.

How was the recovery? DD is kind of nursing obsessed so I think the worst will be not eating beforehand. I'm also worried about nursing her afterwards. What if she wants to but it hurts (I will be ready to pump). What if she wants to but the dentist says it's bad for the caps or fillings and we need to wait a few days (I can't seem to get an answer to this question).

Mom to Kira March 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My DD had GA for dental work when she was 4.  It went fine, and she recovered quickly.  I recall her being pretty much back to normal within a couple of hours of getting back home.  I don't remember her complaining about pain afterwards or having restrictions on what she could eat.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son got ear tubes in when he was close to 24 months. I woke him up and nursed him at midnight or whatever time they said he couldn't eat after. Once we got to the surgery center, they had a TV and I let him watch that to distract him from nursing. After, he was able to nurse as soon as he woke up.

That is a good question about if it's okay to nurse after the dental surgery though. My son had two fillings done in November (in the office, no GA) and the dentist said he shouldn't use a straw after. But I think that was just for a short time, like that morning. I could see the dentist saying you shouldn't nurse immediately but I wouldn't worry about it being for longer than that.

Hopefully she will be able to nurse right away but if not, is there something that she really, really likes that you could give her with a spoon (maybe pudding?) after if they say she can't nurse? Then if she can't nurse right away, you'd have something there that she loves and could have instead. I hope things go well!

User Tag List