Dental Sealants - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are they safe? Would you consider them? http://www.animated-teeth.com/tooth_sealants/t1_sealing_teeth.htm

My sister mentioned that her kids all got them, and none of them have cavities (ages 8, 14 and 16). I should also note that the kids have never had a particularly healthy diet (lots of sugar, sodas, etc). I have to say, I was shocked that they have no cavities. 

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#2 of 8 Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 PM

Last time I looked into it sealants are made with BPA, so are a total no-go as far as I am concerned.  But then again, so are white fillings, so it is a concern either way.  :-(  

#3 of 8 Old 07-13-2011, 04:27 PM

From what I can tell from reading A LOT and from talking to real people, good teeth are more determined by genetics (and possibly certain hygiene techniques) versus sealants. There are so many stories out there (from real people as well as online, where you never really know) of people with sealants who still got cavities. People with great teeth can have sealants or not have them and still not have cavities.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#4 of 8 Old 07-13-2011, 04:49 PM

I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.  And not one of my four kids has ever had a cavity. 

I can't claim to know what causes susceptibility to cavities but putting synthetics inside children's mouths long-term just doesn't seem like a good way to approach preventive care.  But I suppose it's just one more way dentists can get you to come back regularly if once you have sealants you need them to have them checked on.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#5 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM

WHAT?!?! caries aka cavities are NOT genetically related!! whoever you are getting your information from, you might want to reconsider who you take advice from.  Pertaining to the oral cavity, genetics ONLY attribute to the following: shape, size, malocclusion (or lack their of), and periodontisis.  Smokers and those with diabetes are also more predisposed to diabetes.  Cavities is a disease, yes a disease, that is strictly self inflicted and therefore 100% preventable if you so choose to care for your oral health.  Do not blame for poor oral hygiene on genes, but maybe instead look to see what you are doing or failing to do.  Time to take responsibility for your actions and stop pointing the finger.  go see a PROFESSIONAL. BRUSH for 2 min. FLOSS. use MOUTHRISE. last but not lease, control your DIET!!!!! 

#6 of 8 Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

PP, what kind of mouth rinse do you recommend? And since you have such strong opinions - why is that? Do you work in the field or have studied it or something?

What's your view on pulpotomies and ss crowning after a cavity has been found to reach the nerve?

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#7 of 8 Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 AM

I wouldn't let my kids get them.  However, my DD got them while visiting her dad a couple years ago.  Without my permission.  :\  That's another forum though.  I also had them when I was about 10.  I never did get any cavities, but neither did my sisters and they never had the sealants.  I think it had more to do with the fact that mom never gave us sodas, sugary cereals, etc.  If we had sweets it was very rarely and as a special treat.  Or, when we got older and spent more time at friends' houses. 

Also, I remember loosing my molars after I got the sealants (early teens).  DD is starting to lose her molars now (she's 10).  I'm glad, because I didn't want her to have them in the first place.  It just seems kind of pointless to put sealants on teeth that are going to fall out anyway.

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#8 of 8 Old 11-16-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well, just to update, my older DD got 3 sealants. Dentist recommended them because she has such deep grooves in her molars. To tell the truth, I was happy she did them, because I was very nervous about those teeth, as it looked like they had holes. We've had a few check-ups since then, and those teeth are doing well. 

FWIW, I do everything in my power to avoid cavities; clean diet, no sugar, cell salts, xylitol gum, cal/mag supplement, etc., but she's already has 2, and I fear that she could easily have more if not for the sealants, due to her deep grooves, and my genetics.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page