Dangers of Extractions! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

http://facefocused.com/cranioguest.html

This is an excellent read on the dangers of extractions in terms of orthodontia (straightening teeth.) I had no idea how extraction impacted airways and led to an increase in stroke, heart disease and even cancer! This is so well written in an easy to read format. Example: trying to fit a size 32 tongue (32 teeth) in a size 24 mouth (24 teeth) <--- that is EXACTLY why I have so many jaw issues that affect my whole body. I have a size 32 tongue with just 24 teeth. :(

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

I just came back to add that it's not just extractions, but braces! They pull the maxilla & mandible *back* which causes all sorts of issues, one of which is not enough room for the tongue which = airway obstruction which leads to all of those other serious side effects mentioned above.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i only have 24 teeth too, so 32 is how many adult teeth you are supposed to have including widsom teeth?

mama to one '07 and one '09
Old 07-28-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatreestar View Post

i only have 24 teeth too, so 32 is how many adult teeth you are supposed to have including widsom teeth?

Yes. So you and I are in the same boat! Do you have TMJ pain or pain in your teeth? My teeth hurt (from clenching and because my front teeth ram into each other.) The front teeth are supposed to have a paper-thin space between them (between upper & lower) but they're supposed to sit right atop each other - does that make sense? I have the common outcome of having teeth pulled to make room which is molars that don't touch when my jaw is in the forward, relaxed position - so my front teeth take all of the force of my clenching (which is due to my jaw trying desperately to get in the relaxed position with molars touching..)

Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i have no clue... my teeth don't really line up, i will check out my dh's teeth tonight because he had no dental/orthodontic work and he has his wisdom teeth! (he is from mexico)

i don't really have any issues regarding my teeth or clenching but i also didn't do great about wearing my retainers to my front teeth shifted a lot back into my over bite. teeth are weird, i love learning all this stuff that goes against the grain of traditional dentistry. i have also read the cure tooth decay book and have a long way to go as far as diet etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post

Yes. So you and I are in the same boat! Do you have TMJ pain or pain in your teeth? My teeth hurt (from clenching and because my front teeth ram into each other.) The front teeth are supposed to have a paper-thin space between them (between upper & lower) but they're supposed to sit right atop each other - does that make sense? I have the common outcome of having teeth pulled to make room which is molars that don't touch when my jaw is in the forward, relaxed position - so my front teeth take all of the force of my clenching (which is due to my jaw trying desperately to get in the relaxed position with molars touching..)

mama to one '07 and one '09
Old 08-07-2011, 07:11 PM

So, if extractions and braces are bad...what to do for a crowded mouth?  I have 24 teeth - had 8 pulled and braces as a child. My teeth were on top of each other and had nowhere to go. I have alot of dental issues but not jaw pain.

11 yo DS has the same issue and had a year with expanders which gave him alot of space but still he doesnt even have all of his adult teeth and his teeth cant come through because there is no room...

Reading the info against extractions and braces makes me wonder what the solution is? DS is due for braces next year and Id like to figure this all out before then!

User Tag List