Can deep decay actually be reversed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd, age 3.75, has some deep looking brown spots in her back incisors.  I trip to the dentist and x-rays led to recommendations of pulpotomies (root canals of these baby teeth) and stainless steel crowns.  My boy, age 5, perfect teeth.  Gee, this must have something to do with her being allergic to gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs, tomatoes, potatoes, peas, peppers, eggplants and peanuts.  But I'm not bitter or anything.

I really want to avoid having metal in her mouth, as the crowns contain trace amounts of nickel and she has reacted to that in the past.

I have started her on 4 cell salts, including silicea and bioplasma.  I have an order in for pascalite clay for packing at night.  I was just reading up on Uncle Harry's remineralization powder and it talks about remineralizing the enamal and stopping further decay.  I'm not sure about the correct terms, but I think the decay has gone well past the enamel, into the dentin?  or something like that. 

Do I have any hope of fully "healing" these teeth?  Or do I just need to get the invasive dental work done to avoid infections/extractions?  These teeth woud normally not fall out on their own until around age 13.

I am on the search for ceramic crowns, but sounds like difficult for kids and very, very cost prohibitive. 

TIA,

Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#2 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Have you read the book by Ramiel Nagel, Cure Tooth Decay?  I've read excerpts on Google Books and it has some good ideas for diet change and supplements.

#3 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Not yet.  A friend has this book and I've arranged to borrow it, looking forward to it.  Thanks for the rec!

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#4 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

So here is a link showing the parts of the tooth.  I *think* her decay is past the enamal and into the dentin.

http://www.healthyteeth.org/toothGrowth/parts.html

And I just really wonder, can the dentin be regenerated?

#5 of 9 Old 08-04-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, found an answer to my own question.  Not sure I go for everything this person says, but she does explain how to heal the dentin.

http://askdrellie.blogspot.com/2010/10/remineralization-of-dentin.html

#6 of 9 Old 08-17-2013, 03:23 AM

My four year old has had the same diagnosis. I was wondering if you found success with healing the teeth. Thanks!
#7 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 03:01 AM

I would not under any circumstances allow my child to have a pulpotomy. Most of the time, they are treated with formocresol, a formaldehyde base liquid. Deep decay can not be reversed. At best you can hope to arrest its progress. Xylitol gum seems to help.

I my office, we often not treat teeth that will be shed before the decay can cause pain or infection. 

#8 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 03:06 AM

Infected dentin needs to be cleaned out and the area restored. I have had too many patients believe that it can be reversed, only to see their children develop infections that lead to more invasive procedures.

I would concentrate in restoring them with the least toxic material available..

#9 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 AM

Great book on nutrition. However, this book as gotten too many people in trouble, believing that infected decay is reversible.

I have a patient recently that tried to "reverse" rampant infected decay in her mouth and ended loosing a number of teeth that could have been saved.

Having said that, incipient decay that is limited to the enamel, or decay on "baby" teeth that will be replaced in the near future  often do not need to be treated.

I would consider the use of Xylitol gum or candy in children with a high dental decay index.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page