Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Dental (http://www.mothering.com/forum/308-dental/)
-   -   How Do You Get your Child to Take Cod Liver Oil?? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/308-dental/1325808-how-do-you-get-your-child-take-cod-liver-oil.html)

gracemamma 08-14-2011 09:56 PM

We have received the chocolate flavor Green pastures Butter Oil/Cod Liver oil combo and boy is it yucky! I got my 2 year old to take it 2 days in a row by some miracle (in her floradix iron supplement) but now she is refusing.  She has 8 cavities and has been vegan for the past 2 years so it appears we have some work to do.  Can you please tell me how you successfully get your child or toddler to take this?  I want to do everything i can fro her health and her teeth but am not going to force feed her.

What has worked for you?

Have other flavors worked better? ( I wonder if she is objecting to the dark color too.)

Thanks so much!!!

gracemamma 08-23-2011 08:45 AM

175 views and no replies. Was it something I said?  I'd just really like to hear what works for others here and have not seen other threads on this subject. I've seen some others talking about using butter oil and am wondering if some go straight to this with toddlers because (I imagine) it is more palatable.

I even tried putting the cod liver oil in maple syrup and that didnt work either. I think she smells it and knows whats coming!

If any of you are having success with the CLO I would LOVE to hear how and whether you think a different type was the trick.

We have also introduced fish (after 20 yrs of being veggie myself) and are using cell salts, pascalite clay,, lots of tooth brushing, some xylitol, some trace minerals (hard to get those down her too) etc.

She has a bunch of allergies and sensitivities so I think these are at play too but we have them pretty under control and are meeting with an expert in a couple weeks. Dairy has beenone of these but Ive been trying some goat milk items thois week with no success.

I greatly appreciate your help if any of you 175 have any ideas for us.

Thank you for helping me heal my baby's teeth.

abelitz 08-23-2011 04:27 PM

I don't have any personal experience with this (still waiting patiently on my little one to get here!), but when I worked in a health food one of my co-workers strongly suggested putting otherwise yucky supplements (like the fish oil and trace mins) in smoothies for little ones (and picky adults, too) with lots of berries, yogurt, etc.  The antioxidants in the berries are also certainly good for the mouth, and you can get extra probiotics in, too!

Another option (even though I know you've already spent money on the current supplement) is maybe Barleans products.  I remember they have lemon and strawberry flavored supplements that do taste pretty good and aren't fishy.  We had lots of adult patrons that otherwise couldn't stand fish oil that loved those products.  And Nordic Naturals has some inventive deliveries for omega-3's for little ones.  One that I personally remember liking was their Children's DHA.  They are strawberry flavored little gels (that look like tiny fish oil capsules) that are designed to bite into and have a fun "pop."  But you know, everyone is different!

I really think adding supplements to smoothies is probably the best way to go :)  Good luck and hugs!!

gracemamma 08-25-2011 02:41 PM

abelitz: thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate it. I have tried smoothies and the flavor was still really pungent for her. Its a great idea though! I apprecate your other thoughts too! I am trying to staywith green pastures because they have been proven to work. will try their peppermint flavor recommended in another thread. I hope your little one will have fabulous, healthy teeth so you dont have to be woorrying about these things down the line!

colsxjack 08-27-2011 10:37 AM

maybe it is the chocolate flavour.

We have regular flavour CLO.

I mix it in a mouthful of pineapple juice. My DD doesn't otherwise drink anything but water, so the juice is a treat.

I stir it really well and get her to drink it fast before the oil and juice separate again.

Tis also works for my wife, who hates the taste and feel in her mouth. The trick is to drink it fast before the greasy oil separates.

falafala 09-29-2011 09:46 PM

My kids take an omega 3 pill every day that they love. It is Nordic Naturals kids DHA. They are small and taste like strawberry. My kids think they are great. We buy them from my chiropractor and here is the link http://backpainandpregnancy.blogspot.com/2010/01/although-not-strictly-back-pain.html

edwardsmom 11-13-2011 05:45 AM

It's not the cod liver oil, it's the butter oil.  Very nasty tasting stuff.  We tried rasberry & almond flavors, I think.  The only way ds could get it down was to mix it with ice cream.  I guess that won't work if your vegan, though.

On the other hand, mixing CLO with juice, or even straight, is not a big deal for my kids.

Kristie76 07-27-2012 08:37 AM

Maybe you could make homemade fudgecicles and mix the oils in?