Idiot Mom allows flouride treatment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am sitting here making myself sick reading about how toxic flouride is after I just let the dentist paint flouride on my son's teeth (he's 7) at his first visit!

I knew I didn't want flouride - I don't let him use flouride toothpaste even! I can't believe I let her do that....as soon as she left the room I made him rinse and spit, but I'm sure he still absorbed plenty. Never again.

Anything you can do to detox from a flouride treatment?

UGH!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 PM

they told me when i was at the dentist the other day if you brushed their teeth youc ould brush it off .. (they were saying NOT to brush for about 24 hours after a flouride treatment) so, thats all i've got.. 

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Old 08-30-2011, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Do you get flouride treatments? After all my reading, it seems the flouride applied directly to the tooth enamel isn't as harmful as the flouride ingested in the water, supplements, etc. Hasn't eased my mind much, but I guess it is something -

They didn't give us any instructions - I am hoping the rinse and spit got rid of some of it. He didn't want to brush last night b/c his gums were a little sore from the cleaning. I will have him brush well when he wakes up this morning. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2011, 03:00 PM

I freaked out the first time they did that with DD. They didn't even ask, just painted the stuff in her teeth before I could say anything. I brushed it off as soon as I got home. I don't use fluoride either - on my kids or myself - but really, one treatment 2x a year can't hurt. I don't vax, so I already deal with stress whenever I have to go to the dr, and I just don't know if I want the stress of going against the grain at the dentist too, kwim? 

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloebelle View Post

I freaked out the first time they did that with DD. They didn't even ask, just painted the stuff in her teeth before I could say anything. I brushed it off as soon as I got home. I don't use fluoride either - on my kids or myself - but really, one treatment 2x a year can't hurt. I don't vax, so I already deal with stress whenever I have to go to the dr, and I just don't know if I want the stress of going against the grain at the dentist too, kwim? 

I completely know what you mean!! We don't vax either, or eat sugar/processed/junk food, or use avoidable chemicals - which are everywhere you turn! - and I have to say that even I believe in what we do (or don't do) with my whole heart, sometimes I just get tired of saying NO.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Saliva in the mouth is going to allow the fluoride to be absorbed through the veins under the tongue.
And remember that the thyroid is located just below the mouth greensad.gif

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

Old 09-07-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't really need to feel worse about it - but thanks for responding anyway.

I took him to our chiro who does energy work etc and he was MMT then cleared energetically from the treatment - also will be taking a gentle detox supplement for 2 weeks. I have made peace with myself about this - We are so careful about eliminating chemicals in our food and home environment generally, that I think he will be fine. I just won't let it happen again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post

Saliva in the mouth is going to allow the fluoride to be absorbed through the veins under the tongue.
And remember that the thyroid is located just below the mouth greensad.gif

Old 09-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Not trying to make you feel worse at all.
It is good information for those reading the thread who may not know better.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

Old 09-08-2011, 02:22 PM

Wow, I didn't know that, so thanks Bubbling Brooks!

always celebrating guitar.gif

Old 09-10-2011, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i love/hate fluoride. I know all the bad stuff about it and was totally against it, but when I had my last cleaning, they painted fluoride on my one trouble tooth- the one that has been seriously bothering me for years. And you know what, it doesn't bother me anymore at all. That stuff was great. Totally worth it for me.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Wow - interesting. I really need to research a little more I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

i love/hate fluoride. I know all the bad stuff about it and was totally against it, but when I had my last cleaning, they painted fluoride on my one trouble tooth- the one that has been seriously bothering me for years. And you know what, it doesn't bother me anymore at all. That stuff was great. Totally worth it for me.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTmama View Post

I am sitting here making myself sick reading about how toxic flouride is after I just let the dentist paint flouride on my son's teeth (he's 7) at his first visit!

I knew I didn't want flouride - I don't let him use flouride toothpaste even! I can't believe I let her do that....as soon as she left the room I made him rinse and spit, but I'm sure he still absorbed plenty. Never again.

Anything you can do to detox from a flouride treatment?

UGH!

Don't be so hard on yourself. My parents grew up without fluoride in the water and their smiles are dotted with silver-y fillings. I grew up with fluoride in the water and my teeth look and feel great.. no cavities. When my kids were born in the mid 90's.. I had no clue. There was fluoride in the city water, in the dentist offices and in the toothpaste.... by the time Mothering clued me in and I slowed down on the stuff... my kids teeth are marked with white spots from too much fluoride. But I can't beat myself up forever. We learn, we move on. Now I'm in a state without fluoride in the water and we use it in the toothpaste, that's it. And that seems to be just right. For my family.

User Tag List