Did Nightweaning Make a Difference to Your Child's Tooth Decay? Have you Noticed a Positive or negative Breastfeeding Effect? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-07-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We haven't nightweaned my 26 mo yet and she is nursing ALOT at night.  Something is up with her right now and she sometimes wants to nurse every 15-30 minutes for a few hours during the night(her food sensitivities often have this result). I'm thinking nightweaning could help her tooth decay (as well as my sanity!) but as the info I've read is mixed, I thought I'd ask you mamas:

How has nightweaning affected your childs tooth decay? 

Thanks very very much in advance!!!

#2 of 8 Old 10-27-2011, 03:28 PM

Sorry I don't have advise but am in a similar situation.  I am worried about visible decay on the surfaces of my daughter's teeth.

mother of 2, wife, daughter, lawyer, toddler wearing, extended breastfeeding, ec-ing, water birthing....

#3 of 8 Old 10-29-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Would really appreciate some more insight from BTDT mamas. It seems like a pretty straightforward question - Did nightweaning affect your childs tooth decay?- and we are suffering here for trying to figure this out. DD really wants to nurse alot during the night and seems in distress sometimes. But her  teeth have severe decay (8 cavities)and one side front tooth has 1/2way crumbled. I'd love to learn more about whether it's worth it to nightwean for the affects on her teeth.

We are already doing:

cell salts

vit D

probiotic, iron, calcium and magnesium supplementation

extremely minimized sweet things, including fruits

hemp seeds which are very high in phosphorus

have had her go from whole foods vegan diet to fish 2x/week and turkey most days (dairy and eggs are food sensitive items, amongst other things including gluten)

minimized grains- though not eliminated- my Italian husband is pretty unhappy with gluten free already and is unwilling to go without his rissotto and rice pasta!

#4 of 8 Old 12-30-2011, 08:43 AM

My 2 yr old daughter has the same thing going on.  Two back molars have brown spots(one is wearing down) and 1/2 of one her front teeth has worn away.  We still co sleep and she is still breastfeeding through the night.  I don't know how to go about weaning her.

We have added fclo and my husband is picking up the cell salts right now. :)

I was wondering, what do you use for the calcium and magnesium supplement?

#5 of 8 Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 AM

I can't really answer your question, as I chose not to night wean. I felt that our dd's mental health was more important than the baby teeth, which will come out anyway. Also, I was not convinced that night nursing was to blame, really.

The dentist advised me to wipe dd's teeth with a piece of cloth after each nursing. Not exactly possible as we would have had no sleep. Hah. Instead, we had her rinse her mouth after each time she ate food and also had her take xylitol. We also had never fed her juices and limited fruit, etc.

The end result, who knows why, was that her teeth looked scary and the two front teeth crumbled into pieces and she was left with little stubs, one of which was dark and hollow. After one who wanted to fill her mouth with fluoride every month or two and predicted needing to fix the teeth under anesthesia, we found a dentist who was happy to just keep en eye on things. After some years of visits, we agreed to an x-ray to check how soon the permanent teeth would come and how they were doing. Everything was ok. Last time we went she was amazed with the end result:  Dd is now 6 and has lost 3 teeth by now. Meanwhile, nothing bad has progressed for quite some time. The teeth look just as scary -or good from my point of view- as they did some years ago. Dd never had any major pain caused by her teeth, which would be hard to believe if you had seen them.

I don't know that I can really give advice to anyone else. However, we are so very pleased with how everything turned out. Dd loves going to the dentist, as nothing was ever done against her will and the dentist was very nice and respectful. 

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#6 of 8 Old 12-31-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Lesstraveledby: thanks so much for sharing your experience. I hope the adult teeth were happier than the baby teeth. this is something I worry about too! I think I need to find another dentist and there are no holistic dentists registered in new Mexico where we live.  But DD is afraid of the one we see who is supposedly the #1 in the city for kids but is very big into surgery. I ahve heard him discuss upcomign surgery for kids that seemingly have minor cavities taht are giving them no pain at all on ythe basis of at some point it may get worse or cause pain. DD's teeth do not look great but she still has all except  a half missing on of the front sides. they do seem to be wearing down though.

gracealone- I will go check on the supp's- there are several we ahve tried. FCLO was a no go here. IT is really disgusting and I couldnt get her to take it. then I called the company and asked about the nutritional RDAs in the capsules to amke sure they jive with a 2 yr olds need and have ahd no call back from the CEO sinec my call and message 2 months ago. It is all so exasperating- especially when she wants sweets so much. we hgave her raisings for her first babysitting experience last week and you'd think it was the best gift in the world!!

We ahve gone forward with nightweaning nad it is going super well actually. we are using rewards (something suggested  here somewhere) so I ahve a bunch of stuff I got at a second hand sale and she gets one each day for teh past week. I am shocked because with her food sensitivities etc. I thought it would be impossible but she's been sleeping 9/10ish (holidays) to 4/5 every night and minimal crying that pretty much stops with loving mama reassurances and/or reminder about the giftee waiting the next day!

Good luck to us all!

#7 of 8 Old 12-31-2011, 02:52 PM

i was wondering this too... so far i have decided not to night wean. i think ds will be similar to lesstraveled's LO and that his two top teeth will eventually crumble or get knocked out by a fall (hey he's a rough and tumble kid). ds has cut down his day time nursing a lot since his 2 year bday. he is down to nap time, before bed and once a night. i am also trying to limit fruit/sugars. he will not touch the fclo unfortunately. dh def is against putting him under to get the teeth pulled, he says to just wait it out and leave him alone. its tough when dentists make you feel terrible if you don't opt for the most extreme treatment choice. i have asked ds on a regular basis if his teeth hurt (and me touching them in certain areas etc). he always says no.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#8 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 AM

Thanks! The adult teeth seem to be perfect. I was told that this is quite common: terrible baby teeth but perfect adult teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracemamma View Post

Lesstraveledby: thanks so much for sharing your experience. I hope the adult teeth were happier than the baby teeth. this is something I worry about too!

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page