DS has a tooth ache - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He cried  (uncontrolably) from 8pm to almost 3 am, I couldn't get him to calm.  I feel so bad he will be 4 in January.  The dentist said our only option is anethstesia(sp?) to fill the cavity.  AAAHHHHHHHHH, I looked at it and visually it does not look bad.  Not even dark, just a little yellow.  What can I use to ease his pain????  I tried a warm rice sock, but he wouldn't keep it on his cheek.  I feel so bad =(  He says it hurts this am, but he is not crying.   I feel so bad, we are both exhausted and cranky today.... YAWN

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 AM

I think what teeth look like isn't a good indication of their underlying structure.  I don't know how you feel about pain meds, but I would have done advil for a tooth ache, along with the heat therapy.

If the dentist says it's a cavity, I'd either take his advice or seek another dental opinion. Is this a pediatric dentist?

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 01-05-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

The thing is it was a family dentist, and he didn't even get a look in ds mouth, so I am not sure if it is an actual cavity, or a tooth coming in...hmmmm

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

Old 01-12-2012, 09:20 PM

If he's crying & inconsolable, I'd be worried about a possible tooth infection/abscessed tooth. One of the most painful experiences of my life! I'd try for a second opinion, I guess. Can you convince your son to open his mouth? I "prepared" ds for his first dental work at 3 ahead of time, describing what would happen, the sound of the machines, etc. He reluctantly cooperated. Good luck; let us know what happens.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1329 View Post

If he's crying & inconsolable, I'd be worried about a possible tooth infection/abscessed tooth. One of the most painful experiences of my life! I'd try for a second opinion, I guess.

I agree. 

This product is helpful as a topical ointment.  I'd say a pain reliever is going to help as well.  I too cringe at the idea of anesthesia.  In a lot of little ones... Rescue Remedy helps calm so a DDS can look and treat, can use the regular tincture or one made for kids. 

Good luck to you

'09   
Old 01-15-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

He has an appointment Thursday with a new ped dentist.  He has not complained much after that night, so I am hopeful.... And I didn't even think of using rescue remedy for the appt.  Good Idea!

Tags
Dental
User Tag List