Advice needed on dental hygiene for 16 mo toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been cleaning my 16 mo's teeth with my finger using plain water, some times with the thimble-like infant brush. His pediatrician has never mentioned anything about brushing his teeth. Off late I'm noticing that his teeth are slightly yellow. I would like advice on what brush and paste I need to buy. I would like to use chemical/fluoride-free tooth paste. Any advice on how to make toddlers cooperate while brushing their teeth? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

*bump*

Old 01-22-2012, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I use a regular kid/toddler toothbrush and water.  So far neither my kids have a problem.

Depending how agreeable your child is you could use baking soda, buy I would wait till they are older and can spit

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I use a baby toothbrush (regular with short handle & very soft bristles) and... Hmm. Can't remember what it's called. Starts with an S & contains xylitol. I got it on Amazon. I think because xylitol is sweet he is a little more agreeable about the whole brushing thing. There was a thread in toddlers about how to get their teeth brushed a few months ago if you run into that problem. Lots of good suggestions.

Oh I think his toothpaste might be called spry gel or something. Its not the flavored ones though.
sent from my phone using tapatalk, please forgive typos

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Old 01-24-2012, 12:35 PM

I second the Spry tooth gel. With xylitol you want 5+ contacts throughout the day, so you can brush 2x a day with the spry gel and use xylitol sugar mixed in water sipped throughout the day.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 PM

I used a SpinBrush for my DS when he was that age (actually we are still using the spin brush). He liked the vibration feeling of the brush. Otherwise he was very averse to anything (even food) in his mouth. You can try placing the back side of the brush, while it's running, on his cheek to see if he likes it. He can also feel it with his hands before putting it in his mouth.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;

Tags
Dental
User Tag List