please help- cavity question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that tooth decay is a symptom of nutritinal defienciencies and can be realted to leaky gut etc but does hygiene ever play a part?

I have a chronic illness and I have been so scared (terrified) really that my children have inherited my leaky gut/imbalances. In most ways they are super healthy but they each have several small cavities between baby teeth. To say I am panicked is not enough. I have IC which is such a horrendous disease and I worry about the kids a lot. We were always a way above average family food wise but I am not strict WAP . They do raw milk, FCLO, etc.

I got sick last year and we really slacked on supervising brushing and they were eating a lot more dried fruit and snacks like that.

I guess I am hoping someone will tell me that cavities can also be caused from bad care and not just internal issues. Or at least reassure me that they will be ok.

btw- I am seeing an amazing Chinese Medicine dr who is healing my gut and gettng me back in balance but it has been and will still be a long road.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Well my son developed cavities right around his first birthday. We still weren't brushing on a regular basis, we were told that it didn't matter if we didn't brush his teeth. Our parents hadn't brushed our teeth until we were 3 type thing... (Some people have stronger saliva than others, so some people can get away with it) So we weren't diligent with it. I'd say hygiene is huge. Ever since we got some of our son's top 4 front teeth pulled and his top molars capped, (we've been able to prevent any further cavities on the rest of his teeth. His teeth are looking quite good now. (We brush 3 times a day)

So its definetly possible your kids could have developed cavities just from not brushing as often and eating sugary snacks.

Hope everything works out! smile.gif

Edited for a typo!
Sent using Tapatalk

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM

We just brought dd1 (almost 6) to the dentist the other day and found with xray that she has 4 small cavities btw her upper back molars, one on each. The pediatric dentist said it is very common in kids and really it was because we didn't floss enough. We were REALLY slacking on the flossing (very little), basically since dd2 came along. 

She has a tiny bit of decay starting on her lower back molar between and he said to keep up flossing EVERY DAY and really it should be fine. 

Curious to see what others have to say...

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List