Had a deep cavity filled--possible to avoid root canal with remineralization? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 10 year-old had a very deep cavity at last checkup six months ago and the dentist said he would try and fill it without doing a root canal, which he managed to do. I was sort of in a state of panic during the visit and wasn't given any time to consider our options. 

He said after 6 months we'd see if he still might need a root canal. I thought that we might perhaps manage to use dietary changes to 'heal' his tooth, and although he's experienced remineralization on other teeth before, now I'm worried that it will not happen with this tooth because it was drilled and filled. Am I correct? Only cavities that are left alone can be remineralized?

If so, do we have any options now but to have a root canal if there is still caries in there? The dentist apparently put some sort of antibacterial stuff down there before filling it. I really, really want to avoid a root canal. It's his permanent back molar. 

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think 6 months is a good enough time to see if he will really need a root canal. If he does need one then, don't put it off. Or if your child is having pain, don't put it off at all.

If your ds has imflamation, you can try to work on that. Like if your ds has a stuffy nose constratly, you can try to cut out dairy to calm things down, as an example. Homeopathic hypericam is nice at calming nerves down, but may favorite is the tincture or oil of hypericum (st johns wort.) Extra magnesion is good too.

Tags
Dental

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page